Did I buy too much camper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry N. said:
If you drive six hours every day, you're not going to have any sightseeing time to speak of. Driving 6 to 7 hours for each day you drive is one thing, but if every day is a driving day, everyone will be tired, no one will enjoy it, and you won't see much except passing scenery. There should be several days with no driving planned, other than within the park itself, or the local sights.

That 50 mph average people are talking about generally includes meal time, rest stops, and fuel stops, all of which bring down your average for the day, even though you might be traveling 65 mph, or so (don't plan on higher speed -- the RV won't like it). So if you figure about 2,000 miles one way, at 50 mph, you'll have 40 hours, or a workweek's worth, of driving time one way. Obviously you'll have the same going back. That's 5 8-hour days each way. And you have two weeks? So you've maybe got 4 days to spend looking around if you drive that 8 hours each day going and coming.

It's doable, but you'll be tired when you get there and tired-er when you get home. You can have fun, but you need to be aware of what this really entails. You also need to keep in mind that once you're off the Interstates, especially in Wyoming, you'll likely average closer to 35 or 40 mph, perhaps less. Some of those roads slow you down more than you might think from looking at a map.

OK, there have been a lot of "discouraging words" here, so I'll add something not quite so glum. Though you can't see all of Yellowstone in four days (if that's how it actually works out for you), you can see quite a bit of stuff (there's a LO-O-O-TT to see), and it'll be a different kind of experience than anything you can get in the east, lots to see, lots to learn, lots of pictures/videos to take, etc.

Be sure you get on the Yellowstone website and heed their cautions. It's bear country, but a little care makes it not a problem. It's dry air, for the most part, and dehydration can catch you unawares, but drinking lots of water should take care of that. It gets chilly at night, 40s, maybe occasional 30s, even in the summer, at night, with bright, searing sun during the day, even if it's only 60-70 degrees out for a high temp. Bring jackets. You're at 6,500-8,500 feet, depending on where you are in the park. Bring sunscreen. Wear hats and sunglasses.

Even with all the above you can have a good time after you get there, but just be aware of what you are getting into, including the short visit.

Larry,  I was just looking it up when I switched ove to see if anyone else replied and read your post.  6hrs a day isn?t going to be worth it.  Like you said no sightseeing time to speak of.  Thinking about skipping the camping and just drive the suburban and hit hotels so we can get there faster.  I appreciate the help

Hi Taylorm3 and all,

Keep in mind (I am sure you are) that the people here are speaking from experience and are only thinking of the safety of you and your family. We don't want anything to go wrong or anything bad to happen. So it is why people offer this sober advise to you.

One thing that I thought of, he has two weeks which has three (3) weekends. That is 16 days. I myself like to have a day buffer to get back from trips. That would give him 5 good days. Five out, five back and 5 at Yellowstone.

Also wondering, If you can't use your own vehicle to tow, can you rent one? With a higher load vehicle, you would have an easier time towing and you should be more refreshed. Perhaps you might be able to make just a bit better time (road conditions to consider). I wouldn't (as others have said) go much faster than 60 mph. Happy travels!

Taylorm3 said:
Larry,  I was just looking it up when I switched ove to see if anyone else replied and read your post.  6hrs a day isn?t going to be worth it.  Like you said no sightseeing time to speak of.  Thinking about skipping the camping and just drive the suburban and hit hotels so we can get there faster.  I appreciate the help

I think that's a better bet with only two weeks, given the distance. There are motels in Jackson, WY and in West Yellowstone, MT (I prefer the latter as a base for Yellowstone). I'd suggest checking onto reservations now, though you might luck into cancellations later -- July is one of the busiest months there. While there, you can also note what you'd like to do when you come back some day, such as check out the Tetons. One other note for you: it's a somewhat different experience being there in May vs. being there in September, while July is different yet. Bison, moose and especially bears are more frequently spotted in May, though they may be seen most any time.

I was there in February one year, and got to watch a (very, very slow) crossing of  the road by a number of bison, and I also got to see wolves feeding from a bison carcass (quite a distance out in the meadow).

So figure return trips some day in other seasons, too.

camperAL said:
Hi Taylorm3 and all,

Keep in mind (I am sure you are) that the people here are speaking from experience and are only thinking of the safety of you and your family. We don't want anything to go wrong or anything bad to happen. So it is why people offer this sober advise to you.

One thing that I thought of, he has two weeks which has three (3) weekends. That is 16 days. I myself like to have a day buffer to get back from trips. That would give him 5 good days. Five out, five back and 5 at Yellowstone.

Also wondering, If you can't use your own vehicle to tow, can you rent one? With a higher load vehicle, you would have an easier time towing and you should be more refreshed. Perhaps you might be able to make just a bit better time (road conditions to consider). I wouldn't (as others have said) go much faster than 60 mph. Happy travels!

Oh, believe me, I?m one that likes a straight answer.  And I appreciate the help.    Monday I?m going to the RV dealership and see what options he will work with me on, since I technically bought the Rockwood Friday.  Hopefully he will let me out of the deal and just keep the $100 deposit.  Hopefully.  Fall back plan is to get the Grey Wolf (1300LB lighter).  And then start camping locally, I think the suburban will be fine on short trips around VA.  Then redo / rethink the Yellowstone trip and either do hotels or like you mentioned rent a bigger truck

Taylorm3 said:
Oh, believe me, I?m one that likes a straight answer.  And I appreciate the help.    Monday I?m going to the RV dealership and see what options he will work with me on, since I technically bought the Rockwood Friday.  Hopefully he will let me out of the deal and just keep the $100 deposit.  Hopefully.  Fall back plan is to get the Grey Wolf (1300LB lighter).  And then start camping locally, I think the suburban will be fine on short trips around VA.  Then redo / rethink the Yellowstone trip and either do hotels or like you mentioned rent a bigger truck
Usually the point of a deposit is to compensate the seller if the buyer backs out.  Read your paperwork carefully.  If it says you simply lose the deposit if you don?t buy, just tell the dealership you?ve found that, contrary to what they told you, your vehicle can?t handle the trailer and you?re not going to buy it.  I wouldn?t even go see them.  You can do that on the phone.

This dealership has already shown they?re willing to pressure you into a bad decision.  They?ll do it again if you let them.

Don't worry about the paperwork, if you backed out the deposit is to be refunded. If they refuse contact the bank you made the deposit with and file a fraud report. You will get your money back.

No go on the backing out of the sale.  ???

I called GM and they said my tow capacity it 8000LB.  So I guess I?m not going to break the Chevy.  In the mean time I?m going to look to upgrade the Chevy to a 2500.  If I can do that I?ll head to Yellowstone, if not we?ll be camping closer to home.   

The plus side is that i really like the camper.    Seems like a quality unit with a lot of upgrades that the newer ones don?t have.     

Don?t be silly! Back out!! You don?t buy it till you sign the papers! I?d rather lose a $100 than risk that load capacity. Seriously reconsider this! That dealer is a snake who is just concerned with the sale. He could easily get you a lighter unit, but that?s less $$$ and less commission! Who is this dealer?

Humanaquarian said:
Don?t be silly! Back out!! You don?t buy it till you sign the papers! I?d rather lose a $100 than risk that load capacity. Seriously reconsider this! That dealer is a snake who is just concerned with the sale. He could easily get you a lighter unit, but that?s less $$$ and less commission! Who is this dealer?
:)) :)) :))
Your safety is worth more than $100.

SeilerBird said:
:)) :)) :))
Your safety is worth more than $100.

It isn?t the 100. That?s the issue.  I signed the papers Friday and it?s a done deal.  I would gladly lose the 100.  I also had him replace all five tires and buy a new mattress (my expense).  Also I would reimburse him for these items.    But the deal is done.  No back tracking.    As a fall back plan I offered to switch to a lighter camper (more expensive).  And that also was no go.    So lessen learned.   

This is an example of what happens when you jump in without looking and thinking you get burned.  I?m going to make lemonade out of this.  We?re going to camp locally and if we still do the Yellowstone trip I?ll either upgrade the suv or rent.    I called the local gm dealer and they said the suburban will tow 8000lb and with the weight distribution hitch that # goes to 11000lb.  So I?m not going to break the truck towing the rv the most it will weigh is 7000lb and that?s if we really load it up.    The dry weight is 5800lb.   

Man, any dealer worth their salt would work with you on this! I would raise hell, these guys on here know what they?re talking about and if you got a product that wasn?t as they told you... seriously, go to a higher up.  Now, I understand if you were walking away completely, but your still willing to spend some coin there.. so whatever. What?s the name of this dealership??

Humanaquarian said:
Man, any dealer worth their salt would work with you on this! I would raise hell, these guys on here know what they?re talking about and if you got a product that wasn?t as they told you... seriously, go to a higher up.  Now, I understand if you were walking away completely, but your still willing to spend some coin there.. so whatever. What?s the name of this dealership??

I?m not going to worry about it anymore.  I shook the mans hand and agreed to buy it last week.  We love the RV and the floor plan.  The suburban will tow it.  We got a great deal on it.  God is in control.  Like I said I?ll just upgrade either my truck or the suburban. (Both are 1500?s).    I don?t think we would have been happy with a smaller RV.  We originally set out to just get a pop up but after touring them we jumped right to the TT single axle shorter and them to the double axle longer ones, so for us this is the size the 4 of us can do comfortably. 

Good attitude!  Yeah, you are probably going to be disappointed with the rig in overall performance & handling, but it should manage to get the job done. You can work on the bigger truck later.

Taylorm3 said:
I?m not going to worry about it anymore.  I shook the mans hand and agreed to buy it last week.  We love the RV and the floor plan.  The suburban will tow it.  We got a great deal on it.  God is in control.  Like I said I?ll just upgrade either my truck or the suburban. (Both are 1500?s).    I don?t think we would have been happy with a smaller RV.  We originally set out to just get a pop up but after touring them we jumped right to the TT single axle shorter and them to the double axle longer ones, so for us this is the size the 4 of us can do comfortably.

I would agree. You'll be fine towing, perhaps you will be a bit slower in your travels, but then again the trip is part of the journey. Enjoy it. I drive 58-62 mph and on the mostly 6% (with an occasional 8%) grades around the Western USA I do around 35-45. I get to my destination, by the Grace of God, not feeling stressed over the drive. On two lane roads I don't get shaken up over the cars behind me. I use the 5 vehicle rule. Once 5 vehicles pull up behind me I begin looking for a safe turn out, and I always slow down when there is a passing lane to give everyone behind me a chance to get around.

Being a slower driver requires that I am especially considerate of others behind me. I know the burnt feeling I get when there is an inconsiderate slow driver in front of me, oblivious to the outside world. Drives me nuts.

I sure wish there was a "like" button on this forum. Taylor you are a good man for honoring your commitment and working through it. There is so much to enjoy as you go.

Dub said:
I sure wish there was a "like" button on this forum. Taylor you are a good man for honoring your commitment and working through it. There is so much to enjoy as you go.

Appreciate you saying that.  Can?t wait to take the first trip. 

****Update*****

Picked up the rv today,  towed it with the suburban for about 3 hrs thru the local mountains (2 lane windy rd) and then around the city on the highway and really never had any problems. The suburban pulled it well up and down the mountain.  So unless something changes or a 2500 suburban falls into my lap I think I?m good to go.   

Thanks for all the input and advice. 

Congratulations, thanks for coming back with updates.  Let us know how your first trip goes.  Exciting times ahead.

Safe travels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom