Bent Steps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

In the last encounter with an aggressive tree, my entry steps took a direct hit.  What are my best options?

1.  Sledge hammer and gently suggest it move forward

2. Pull the steps - they are toast.  Straighten factory step box to accept new steps.

3. Pull the steps.  Straighten box and steps and reinstall

4.  Other options

Attachments

• P3170042.jpg
    P3170042.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 115
Hi grashley,

I don't know for sure, but if it were me, I'd try to take things apart and bend them into shape (if you can't then a shop somewhere can) and then put them back into place and try to run the steps to see how they do. A mobile mechanic might be able to help. You can always go to a shop that can fix them if that doesn't work.

Sorry for your troubles. Next trip will be better!

It shouldn't be too hard to straighten them back into shape.  The main bend seems to be on the right hand support, I'd start there with a come-along strung between that point and the front edge of the main frame or even a landing gear leg.

Then see if/where the steps are binding and repeat the process on other areas as needed.

I had that happen several times with one thing or another because automatic electric steps sometimes DO NOT RETRACT when they should.

First couple I bent 'em basck.. One time a body shop used a puller and an anchored (Well his building) as though he was straightening a frame (Whcih he was, when you think about it, only a much smaller frame than he normally works on) other times I used other methods (IE" pull toweard wheel with a puller)

Last time I replasced the steps with used from Visone RV in KY.

Put a large board between the tire and the steps and push.  I'll bet they move easily.  Of course don't get crazy and damage the axle or suspension.

A combination of #1 & #3. Basically apply external pressure to pull or beat the step back into alignment. It's usually not too difficult unless severely bent. Even then, you could probably remove the step and work directly on the bent component and get it back into shape.

We think our steps were bent somehow when we bought the trailer new. No matter what we tried, they were always difficult to pull out or push in and even when deployed did not seem very steady. Although they may seem a little expensive, we replaced them with the Torklift Revolution Glowsteps and just love them!! If you find your steps don?t work right after trying to straighten them, you may want to look into these. They were well worth the price for them.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Glowstep+Revolution

Vicki

Replace.
Way to much trouble to try and straighten.
Never the same again.
Ask me how I know. ;D

My theory is that out of all the hundreds of thousands of RVs on the road there might be less than a thousand with steps than have never been bent.

When I bent my first set of steps I was able to bend them back into alignment using my legs.  (I was a monster then)

Since you have quite a bit of other damage I would turn it in to your insurance. It should be covered under your collision coverage since you collided with the tree.

keymastr said:
Since you have quite a bit of other damage I would turn it in to your insurance. It should be covered under your collision coverage since you collided with the tree.

Never mind. I answered my own question.

Shorts:  I am familiar with the GlowSteps and would love to upgrade.  I'd rather not spend the money for them right now.

Koodog:  Based on your "experience", will bending back work for a relatively short time, with hard to fold steps?

To ALL.  Thanks for the ideas.

Sometime in the past, probably on this forum... I read of someone using a ratchet-strap device to pull bent steps back into alignment.  One strap end hooks/attaches onto the step, the other end hooks/attaches to some part of the RV frame (either front or back, depending on which way the steps need to be re-bent).  Then the strap is slowly ratcheted tighter and tighter, pulling the step back as it goes.  I'm thinking this is not a hand operated ratchet, but something with an extended breaker bar attachment to deliver a lot more torque.

Back
Top Bottom