How Would You Have Handled This With A Park Owner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The3Amigos

I'm really learning so much from this great site and am amazed at all the great information. I need opinions on my situation.

We are at a small, old mobile home/rv park which we've visited twice before. The owner has always been exceptionally nice. We have been here a month with another month to go. One time I drove to our site 3 sites into the park the wrong way. There were two large trucks obstructing the "right way" and I was unable to negotiate a path around them. A woman passed me, gave me an unpleasant look and apparently went straight to the office and complained. Owner's wife visited us to talk about complaint and I explained the problem I had, apologized and said I wouldn't do it again, but I have to have access to our lot.  To comp,icate matters, the parking is at the opposite angle of the way direction of the road. Backing in is out the question because 9f the close proximity of our neighbor across the street.

This occurred a week ago, but today I received a call from the owner himself telling me not to do it again. He said he didnt know why, but there was another one doing the same thing and he said there was going to be an accident. I told him I had previously, a week ago, explained to his wife and apologized. It's his park and he can do what he wishes, but I'm confounded at another, albeit late,  reprimand  He was barely civil. My husband wanted to hitch up and move right away, but he's in the middle of radiation treatment and not strong enough yet.

I am aware there are rules and being a park owner is demanding, but it seems that one reprimand was sufficient.  I would feel better if I knew I handled it correctly so I thought some feedback from you seasoned RVers would be beneficial.  Thank you.

I would be moving tomorrow. There is no reason to put up with that kind of treatment. If you paid for the month in advance ask for the unused part back. When he refuses you simply move and then file a fraud complaint with your bank. There are thousands of great RV parks and campgrounds in the US and there is no reason to put up with militant owners with no class.

I think SB?s solution is a bit over the top. The owner may have been a
bit brash but if I was happy otherwise I?d let it drop.

If the road is blocked for a length of time call management and let them deal with it.

Tom

I think because someone else had driven the wrong way he wanted to reiterate the rules. I get the feeling he was angry at the second offender and maybe you just got the brunt of that.

If it is continuing to bother you, you could pop in and discuss the situation and ask his advice on what to do if this situation occurs again.  Explain that your husband is unwell and you need to have access.

You may be feeling a bit sensitive too because your husband is unwell. I hope he gets his strength back very soon.

The3Amigos said:
My husband wanted to hitch up and move right away, but he's in the middle of radiation treatment and not strong enough yet.

My reaction would probably have been along the lines of your husband's thinking. HOWEVER, when you compare whatever level of frustration you both might feel with one's health and well-being, I don't think it's even close. Let it go with a smile-- for now at least assuming there's no further escalation.

I always have believed that you "vote with your feet". But in your case you need to focus on your husband's health first. After he is ok and you have used up the time that you paid for I would be relocating and never go back to that park again..... :mad:

Sometimes the best way to handle difficult situations is to ask the offending person a question like this "if this happens again and the road is blocked for some time, what do you suggest I do?"

Have a great day and I hope your husband feels better soon!

I would do as I have done in the past.. I once went to a Grocery store (now closed) to buy one item.. I was in line when the manager said "We are closing this register please move to another register" I have never seen that happen anywhere else. EVER. always you put the "Please use next open register" sign behind the last person in line.  I told him OK handed him the product I was holding and told him the other register would be in another store

Walking distance away was a 2nd store.. Same product exactly. Less expensive. Saved like 25 cents.

Heli_av8tor said:
I think SB?s solution is a bit over the top. The owner may have been a
bit brash but if I was happy otherwise I?d let it drop.
Yes I am over the top, that is my way of dealing with over the top people. If they can dish it out they should be ready to take it back. The owner is an idiot and needs to be put in his place.

SeilerBird said:
Yes I am over the top, that is my way of dealing with over the top people. If they can dish it out they should be ready to take it back. The owner is an idiot and needs to be put in his place.

Tom, you're ignoring her husband's health problem, which MUST be considered. Moving would take its toll. It makes a BIG difference.

Spring Creek said:
Sometimes the best way to handle difficult situations is to ask the offending person a question like this "if this happens again and the road is blocked for some time, what do you suggest I do?"

Have a great day and I hope your husband feels better soon!
:)) Put the problem where it belongs, on the owner.

Larry N. said:
Tom, you're ignoring her husband's health problem, which MUST be considered. Moving would take its toll. It makes a BIG difference.
I am not ignoring her husband's health problem. The manager is making it worse. I would get far away from an individual as toxic as him.

If it were me, I would make a concerted effort to just let it go. Husband's wellbeing is the most important thing at the moment. The suggestion to allow the management to handle it the next time makes the most sense.

Picking a fight or moving during a physically uncomfortable time is just inconvenient for you. I have a newly found policy of making up my mind to go with the flow in such matters. There are times to be stubborn... in my view this isn't the time.

The3Amigos said:
I'm really learning so much from this great site and am amazed at all the great information. I need opinions on my situation.

We are at a small, old mobile home/rv park which we've visited twice before. The owner has always been exceptionally nice. We have been here a month with another month to go. One time I drove to our site 3 sites into the park the wrong way. There were two large trucks obstructing the "right way" and I was unable to negotiate a path around them. A woman passed me, gave me an unpleasant look and apparently went straight to the office and complained. Owner's wife visited us to talk about complaint and I explained the problem I had, apologized and said I wouldn't do it again, but I have to have access to our lot.  To comp,icate matters, the parking is at the opposite angle of the way direction of the road. Backing in is out the question because 9f the close proximity of our neighbor across the street.

This occurred a week ago, but today I received a call from the owner himself telling me not to do it again. He said he didnt know why, but there was another one doing the same thing and he said there was going to be an accident. I told him I had previously, a week ago, explained to his wife and apologized. It's his park and he can do what he wishes, but I'm confounded at another, albeit late,  reprimand  He was barely civil. My husband wanted to hitch up and move right away, but he's in the middle of radiation treatment and not strong enough yet.

I am aware there are rules and being a park owner is demanding, but it seems that one reprimand was sufficient.  I would feel better if I knew I handled it correctly so I thought some feedback from you seasoned RVers would be beneficial.  Thank you.

It seems in your circumstances, giving the owner's the "go away" answer would be best.  "Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full sir".  Then, let it go.  It isn't worth the effort to let it get to you.  I would, however, probably never go back.

Here in the UK you do sometimes come across overly officious site staff, it seems to be a bit of a 'thing'. I tend to prefer to stay on the smaller less organised sites. I'm not really a 'line up with the marker post' sort of a chap.

First big site I stayed on we were told off for not lining up with the peg. I hadn't even realised there was a peg and had reversed right over it  ;D

ttxela said:
Here in the UK you do sometimes come across overly officious site staff, it seems to be a bit of a 'thing'. I tend to prefer to stay on the smaller less organised sites. I'm not really a 'line up with the marker post' sort of a chap.

First big site I stayed on we were told off for not lining up with the peg. I hadn't even realised there was a peg and had reversed right over it  ;D

What's a peg?

The owner has always been exceptionally nice.

Maybe the owner was having a really bad day and the second person going the wrong way may have been the last straw.  In this case her husband's health is far more important and simply not worth the anxiety.  If something else happens and the owner is no longer "exceptionally nice" then it might be time to rethink the situation.  Sometimes it's better for our own health just to forget about something like this.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom