How Would You Have Handled This With A Park Owner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ditto what Ardra said.

In over 30 years of RVing, on very rare occasions we've run into an obnoxious campground owner/manager, but they're not worth the time to deal with. OTOH I've taken exception to an owner who frightened my other half while I was away from the coach. That was not something I was prepared to stand for, so I confronted the jerk; He was in the process of giving my neighbor the same treatment.

Most owners/managers we deal with are very friendly and accommodating. This also applies to state park rangers in California and Oregon.

Where was this event?

John Beard said:
If it were me, I would make a concerted effort to just let it go. Husband's wellbeing is the most important thing at the moment. The suggestion to allow the management to handle it the next time makes the most sense.

Picking a fight or moving during a physically uncomfortable time is just inconvenient for you. I have a newly found policy of making up my mind to go with the flow in such matters. There are times to be stubborn... in my view this isn't the time.
AMEN!

Husband's health should not be compromised by this.  Let it go.

Remember, TIME WOUNDS ALL HEELS

What's a peg?

In Australia, it's a clothespin.  But the poster's from the U.K.  Love the differences in our English language!

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
In Australia, it's a clothespin.  But the poster's from the U.K.  Love the differences in our English language!

ArdraF
Same in UK, where a clothespin is a peg. Or in this case it could be a tentpin cause we call those pegs too ??

I probably would have been a little more forceful in my assertion that we don't normally break rules or drive against the flow, but was left with no choice.

But now that the moment has passed it is too late and just enjoy the rest of your time there. Then, after leaving the park, I would submit a bad review on as many sites as possible. I would also write a letter to the owner explaining your reviews and why you will not be back and why you will not recommend his park. The owner should know how you feel. He may not even realize he hurt your feelings (and he might not care anyways) but at least you got to tell him.

jackiemac said:
Same in UK, where a clothespin is a peg. Or in this case it could be a tentpin cause we call those pegs too ??

That was my interpretation - the campground drove a stake or marker into the ground to mark the edge of the site and it wasn't seen when backing in, so the RV was over the line and partially in the next site.

Lou Schneider said:
That was my interpretation - the campground drove a stake or marker into the ground to mark the edge of the site and it wasn't seen when backing in, so the RV was over the line and partially in the next site.

Yep, that's it. A peg in the UK can be a short post hammered into the ground, a clothespin, something that holds your tent to the ground or an abbreviation for Polyethylene Glycol.

I would submit a bad review on as many sites as possible. I would also write a letter to the owner explaining your reviews and why you will not be back and why you will not recommend his park. The owner should know how you feel. He may not even realize he hurt your feelings (and he might not care anyways) but at least you got to tell him.
Of course that?s right after you write a good review for the previous times you were there and enjoyed yourself and thought the owner was really nice.  :)

OK, everybody gets to be an A-Hole once in a while. In this case, ignore it unless it happens again, at which point you can either raise hell, and never go back, or wait until the month is up. If this slight is more important than your husbands health, ignore the above and raise hell immediately.

TY for all replies.  A little update:  I have found another park about the same distance away from the facility.  My husband and I took a trip out there and were pleasantly surprised.  It's in the country, wide lots with more than ample room for both rig and truck, lots of trees and amenities not in the present park including wifi.  $25 more a month, not bad. We talked with the manager and we have a reservation for next month (it can't get here soon enough).  Our space is close to the lake where the hubs can get in some fishing on days he's doing well.  He loves fishing! 

I feel our situation is going to change for the better.  We will never return here.  In the meantime, we just mob.  I don't care a fig if the owner was having a bad day.  When you're in the hospitality business, you have to be diplomatic dealing with a rule bender (me - once).  Jmho.  My husband wanted to handle the situation but just couldn't. He feels he let me down and we know he didn't.  I'm just so relieved to have an option and I feel so grateful. 

Again, thanks for your advice. 

I'm glad you have a new plan that sounds much better than the current one!  Best of luck from another survivor!

ArdraF

You can always back around the park to your campsite then technically your vehicle is pointed the right way :)

SeilerBird said:
I would be moving tomorrow. There is no reason to put up with that kind of treatment. If you paid for the month in advance ask for the unused part back. When he refuses you simply move and then file a fraud complaint with your bank. There are thousands of great RV parks and campgrounds in the US and there is no reason to put up with militant owners with no class.

What would be the basis of the fraud complaint? 

Be kind to yourself.  You are in a stressful situation and may have taken this more personally than it needs to be. 

You never know what another person is going through as well.  Although it is not my normal routine, I know I have mistakenly been rude to someone and regretted it later.  Usually whenever I am under a lot of stress.

Maybe do something really unexpected and do something nice for him.  Doesn't need to cost much at all but some donuts or something might completely change the situation!

If that doesn't work follow Seiler Birds advice ;)

Thank the owner that he got you seriously looking for a nicer place to go.  8)

Many parks bend the rules about going the wrong way on one way streets out of necessity. The fact he got bent out of shape shows the owner is in the wrong business.

He should have been paying attention to the trucks blocking the one way road and apologized to you that you had to go the wrong way (only 3 lots!) to get to your site. My gosh he is being way too petty over this.

Some parks the staff gets out to direct traffic while another rig goes the wrong way to get into a lot. I live in a small tight park, lots are large, roads are not and they are  one way. Sometimes visitors go the wrong way and we just help them out, explaining the way they should go and helping them drive the rest of the way the wrong way to get them connected to a street going the right way or we tell them whose driveway to turn around in.

When I moved my 5th wheel recently to my new lot, it's on a strange corner, so the manager told us to go the wrong way so the driver could get my 5th wheel parked easier and faster. I wasn't driving the rig.

No one was bent out of shape over this and a few folks went the wrong way to avoid us. Since the speed limit is SLOW there were NO accidents. No one really cared that a rig was going the wrong way, they managed to survive.  ;D

Get moved, go fishing. Being around water, even just gazing at it is very healing.

KandT said:
If that doesn't work follow Seiler Birds advice ;)

To ask for her money back and if the park doesn't refund it, file a fraud complaint?  I just don't see any basis for that.

Trivet said:
To ask for her money back and if the park doesn't refund it, file a fraud complaint?  I just don't see any basis for that.

;) I just meant try kindness first then do what you can do.  Metaphorically follow SB advice. ??? 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom