Off or on charges the house battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humanaquarian

When you drive, the dealer told me the house battery charges once the coach battery is charged. Does it matter if the main house switch is on or off?

I don't recall if the house batteries on mine charge with the switch off or not. Other than turning the switch off to disconnect the batteries when in storage, there's no real need to turn it off. I'm pretty sure with it turned off while in storage, there will still be some parasitic loads on the batteries. When storing without being plugged in, you're better off pulling the negative cable off the battery. I do know the converter does not charge the chassis battery though.

Humanaquarian said:
When you drive, the dealer told me the house battery charges once the coach battery is charged. Does it matter if the main house switch is on or off?

I suspect it won't charge with that switch off, though that may vary with the rig, but why would you have the main house switch off when you're driving? It's certainly not a good idea to use that as a substitute for turning other stuff off, if that's what you had in mind, since it puts more current through the switch when it is operated, causing excess wear. In the rigs I've had, the only reason for turning off the main switch is when the coach will sit untouched and unused (and not plugged in) for several hours or more, or when certain maintenance items needed attention. And after I return to the rig (or finish the maintenance) I'd certainly turn it back on, even before starting the engine.

I do know the converter does not charge the chassis battery though.

That varies with the rig, and is not true for all units.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom