Help! Starting to get spam on the Forum!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patnsuzanne

I?m not sure if this is the proper category for this post, but I?ve started getting spam notices interrupting when I?m looking at the forum. They insist that this is my lucky day and that I?m eligible for a new iPhone. You can?t delete the screen, and you can?t go to another topic, or even another web site. I googled it and it was confirmed as spam that has to be handled by the host/owner of the site. I?ve had the same thing happen on a couple of other sites I frequently use so it appears to be something that is spreading. Have any other Forum members been hit with this, or am I just one of the ?lucky ones?? 

I am on here all the time (several times per day) and I have never received any kind of spam.  I'm wondering if it is a malware that has embedded in your computer and will come up on almost every web site you visit.

You're not getting spam from this forum. It sounds like you might have malware on your computer or device, or you're otherwise attracting malware from other sources.

I'm at a loss to understand why folks always "blame" our forum when they get infected or something doesn't perform as they expect  ???

Apology to follow  ???

I wondered about that, but my wife has started to get the same thing on her pad, on different sites. She was the one that googled the problem in the first place. The solution there was to report it, along with any info like the page URL to the owner of the site you?re on when this pops up. Supposedly it is for an Apple gift card, but Apple says it?s spam.

[quote author=Patnsuzanne]Supposedly it is for an Apple gift card...[/quote]

We have no affiliation with Apple.

Apple says it?s spam.

That might be a clue  ;)

In case you missed it, You're not getting spam from this forum.

There is no chance you are getting spam from this web site. You have picked up some malware. You need a malware detecting and removing tool to clean up your computer. I can't recommend one because I use Chromebook which does not get malware.

I have the same problem on my iPad and, more rarely, my iPhone. It isn?t just this forum, but happens randomly on other sites, maybe once every two or three days. I have to close the browser window completely to get rid of it. Any suggestions for us Apple types? It doesn?t happen on my laptop because I have all kinds of barriers there.

UTTransplant said:
I have the same problem on my iPad and, more rarely, my iPhone. It isn?t just this forum, but happens randomly on other sites, maybe once every two or three days. I have to close the browser window completely to get rid of it. Any suggestions for us Apple types? It doesn?t happen on my laptop because I have all kinds of barriers there.
Get some anti malware software.

malwarebytes is a good tool. They have a free version that will keep you safe. Please don't assume the spam is coming from this forum, because it's not.

Times two for malwarebytes.  Ned Rider originally recommended it years ago and said the free version was adequate and not to bother with the upgraded version. 

[quote author=Tom and Margi]Times two for malwarebytes.  Ned Rider originally recommended it...[/quote]

Thanks Margi. That would be Ned Reiter  ;)

OK, I'm back on a different computer (desktop Mac) and a different browser (Chrome), after four consecutive attempts on the IPad I usually use were blocked by what I have found out to be add pop-ups.  Please understand that I am not trying to "blame" anybody, I was just following the advise we got when we googled the problem, for better or worse.  If you're all that interested, you too can Google "Amazon spam on Safari".  I really enjoy the Forum, and have learned a ton of valuable stuff here.  I am not what you would call technically proficient, but I was under the impression that there was no Malware for Mac or Apple products.  Apparently I'm wrong about that as well.  That would be a much easier solution than the current one which is to close out the program and delete the browser history before I can get back to what I was doing, which was trying to read the Forum!  Thanks for clearing that up, and keep up the good work.

[quote author=Patnsuzanne]I am not trying to "blame" anybody[/quote]

Hm, please check your subject line.

Patnsuzanne said:
I am not what you would call technically proficient, but I was under the impression that there was no Malware for Mac or Apple products.  Apparently I'm wrong about that as well. 
Yes, for years Apple fanatics spread the rumors that Apples don't get viruses and malware. They were conveniently forgetting that a half a dozen companies were making and selling anti-spam and anti-malware products. I used to hear that from my sister until she got a virus. Haven't heard that from her since then.

I'm also on the site several times a day with multiple devices, and have never had a problem. If I'm on a computer/device that runs through the company, if anything was there, it would give me an alert in the lower right corner of my screen.

According to the Malwarebytes website, their tool is for Windows and Macs, not iPads and iPhones. Any other recommendations for my preferred browsing tools? I hate digging out my laptop for browsing.

Tom, I've had this sporadically too when using my mobile and on the forum. If it happens again I will take a screenshot. I just hit the back button till it goes away it might have been when I accidentally hit one of the ads. I have a pop up ad think it's Google adsense that appears all the time. Could it be that?

LOL Margi. I knew you know the correct spelling  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom