Help! Starting to get spam on the Forum!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A little grumpy Tom? ;D The issue here seemsto be in the wording. The OP is getting annoying pop ups while logged on to this forum, I don't see him suggesting our site is the source of the problem. I have not seen it here but sometimes comes up on other sites I visit. At times the only way to get out of it is shut the browser down or even a reboot.

Tom said:
malwarebytes is a good tool. They have a free version that will keep you safe. Please don't assume the spam is coming from this forum, because it's not.
FWIW - the Malwarebytes free version will only capture crap when it scans your system which must be manually called or scheduled, while Malwarebytes Premium ($$) will protect real-time plus scan.  Both do a good job when scanning, but real-time makes it more effective.

[quote author=Roy M ]The issue here seemsto be in the wording.[/quote]

Check the subject line.

[quote author=Molaker]... the Malwarebytes free version will only capture crap when it scans your system which must be manually called or scheduled...[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification, it's been some time since I upgraded.

Tom and Margi said:
Times two for malwarebytes.  Ned Rider originally recommended it years ago and said the free version was adequate and not to bother with the upgraded version.

The only free version I am finding is a 14 day trial - is that what you are referring to?
I put the trial version in and it dectected over 500 problem files and I elected to quarantine all of those.  So far I cannot see any change so I guess I did not mess up on doing this trial.  No plans to purchase.
Bill

UTTransplant:  After some research, we?re trying an app called Adblock Plus. It?s free from the Apple App Store and is for mobile devices. We put it on our iPads to see how it works. So far, so good.

Have you added any Apps recently to your Apple products, that sync to your Mac.  Especially a Free App?  Might start by deleting that app.  I've had Apps that have caused issues that were hard to find. 

Patnsuzanne said:
UTTransplant:  After some research, we?re trying an app called Adblock Plus. It?s free from the Apple App Store and is for mobile devices. We put it on our iPads to see how it works. So far, so good.
Have been using ADBLOCK PLus for a couple of years and it seems to work well based on how many sites are telling me that I should disable it on their sites.  Some even require it be disabled for them (which I do not do unless desperate to see something on their site) and others just request that it be disabled but do not make it mandatory.  On the Forum this morning I see  it is blocking 6 ads of some sort.  It tells you how many in a little block next to their icon.

Bill

I have Ad Blocker, and it does an ok job, but not complete. It also keeps me from reading some news sites. I will look up,AdBlocker Plus to see if it is the same tho g or not.

The forum is ad supported.. Sadly some of the ads are so annoying we have to run blockers.

What is even worse:  Scammers (Ransomware artists) have started simply buying ad space from companies like Google Ad Services.

So when their ads rotates "WE HAVE DETECTED VIRUS (malware) ON YOUR COMPUTER, CLICK ON TEH LINK BELOW WITHIN 4 DAYS OR YOUR COMPUTER WILL BE LOCKED.

no, they have not detect4ed anything, and so long as you close that add without touching the link they want you to click your computer will continue to work,, but follow the link, IF you do not pay their ransom, You will be needeing professional help.

I?m also getting the same amazon spam pop up on my iPad which is actually coming from a site called gift(something).top. I know it?s not the forums fault but I only get it while on this forum. It?s been for the last few days and usually 3-4 times while trying to read the forum. I have pop up blocking on and haven?t figured out how to stop it. It?s very annoying as you can?t get out of without completely closing the browser and then have to go back and try to find where you were in the forum. Maybe I?ll try the app that was mentioned. Glad to see I am not the only one having this problem.

Vicki

shorts said:
I?m also getting the same amazon spam pop up on my iPad which is actually coming from a site called gift(something).top. I know it?s not the forums fault but I only get it while on this forum. It?s been for the last few days and usually 3-4 times while trying to read the forum. I have pop up blocking on and haven?t figured out how to stop it. It?s very annoying as you can?t get out of without completely closing the browser and then have to go back and try to find where you were in the forum. Maybe I?ll try the app that was mentioned. Glad to see I am not the only one having this problem.

Vicki
Since some report this only happens on this forum, I wonder if there is some way "they" could have attached something to the rvforum cookie.  You might try deleting your rvforum cookie (or all cookies if need be) and see if the problem goes away.

Bill N said:
The only free version I am finding is a 14 day trial - is that what you are referring to?
I put the trial version in and it dectected over 500 problem files and I elected to quarantine all of those.  So far I cannot see any change so I guess I did not mess up on doing this trial.  No plans to purchase.
Bill
It's a free trial for the premium version.  If you do not pay for premium at the end of the trial period, it will revert to the free version.  Be aware, the free version does not provide real-time protection, although frequent manual scanning will still help.

Likely, most of the threats detected were non-critical "pups" and usually do not cause any issues when quarantined or deleted.

Occasionally I'll inadvertently click on one of the ads above. This only happens if I browse/scroll on my Android tablet while laying in bed. It's what I call 'fat finger syndrome'. Which ad comes up up depends on which one I click on. If I click the last but one, the actual ad is served by Google, and what comes up is dependent on my prior browsing (&/or search) history (Google targets their ads to the individual). This happens to be a place-holder, inserted when we lose a sponsor/advertiser.

This behavior is not limited to this forum although, since I visit the forum more frequently than most sites, especially while laying in bed, it's to be expected that I'd experience it more often here. Some nights, I only visit this forum (checking on stuff), and that could erroneously lead me to believe "it only happens here".

FWIW I don't attempt to browse this or other sites on my phone, but I'd expect an even higher incidence of fat finger syndrome (because my fingers cover a larger percentage of screen area).

Tom said:
Occasionally I'll inadvertently click on one of the ads above. This only happens if I browse/scroll on my Android tablet while laying in bed. It's what I call 'fat finger syndrome'. Which ad comes up up depends on which one I click on. If I click the last but one, the actual ad is served by Google, and what comes up is dependent on my prior browsing history (Google targets their ads to the individual). This happens to be a place-holder, inserted when we lose a sponsor/advertiser.

This behavior is not limited to this forum although, since I visit the forum more frequently than most sites, especially while laying in bed, it's to be expected that I'd experience it more often here. Some nights, I only visit this forum (checking on stuff), and that could erroneously lead me to believe "it only happens here".

FWIW I don't attempt to browse this or other sites on my phone, but I'd expect an even higher incidence of fat finger syndrome (because my fingers cover a larger percentage of screen area).

Not sure about that, I've been getting adult sites and they are definitely not on my browser!  I keep reporting them and it says "we will try not to show this ad again", next ad, same one!  I have adblocker on the laptop I am using and don't get it there so need to consider adding this on my tablet and phone I think.

I use my phone a lot to browse this site. I hit "send this topic" and " report to moderator" while scrolling.

Molaker said:
.................... You might try deleting your rvforum cookie (or all cookies if need be) and see if the problem goes away.
Ditto to above, delete cookies and history from app settings and see how it goes.

It seems like every time I get onto craigslist or Amazonian, something strange soon pops up. NEVER HERE!

[quote author=jackiemac]... I've been getting adult sites and they are definitely not on my browser![/quote]

I had that (several years ago), and I have no idea why Google thought I might wish to go there. Fortunately, there's a preview of the linked site in the Google ad box above, and I chose not to click on the naughty-looking ladies.

I keep reporting them and it says "we will try not to show this ad again", next ad, same one!

I found that their promise is rarely kept.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom