Heart issues and RVing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasamski

I was just told that I have heart issue whereas one artery pumps more than the other. The result is that I may have a stent installed to relieve the problem. What kind of issues  if any, do people face on the road? Is it advisable to go on long RV trips? I wouls hate to give up the RV lifestyle, but ...

Ask your cardiologist.  If you in otherwise good shape, it should not be a problem.  There are competent doctors and cardiologists all over this country. 

Remember, this advice is worth what you paid for it!

I had a stent in 2004, then two in the same place in 2112. Neither stopped me from doing anything. The part that hurt me was the loss of heart function. Went to about 45%, which isn't bad. Then riding a desk for the last few years and not getting enough exercise has dropped it to 34% now. I'm working with a good cardiologist to find drugs I can tolerate and get work getting some exercise. I have a serious problem with drug side effects, so it's a struggle. I have all but quit smoking, and have another 20 pounds to lose as a result. Two weeks after my first stent, I was out climbing a 160' leg elevator with a 40# tool bag. As stated above, follow your cardiologist recommendations. Heart attacks and stents were a piece of cake for me. It's the strokes that scare the living daylights out of you. Slowing down is the worse thing you can do.

Several forum members have had one or more stents installed. It doesn't cause me/us to change our RVing activity. As others have said, ask your cardiologist, and check out the medical resources where you'll travel.

Also not to hijack, nobody should rely on an echo for your heart ejection fraction. The last echo I had said 63%, and I knew that had to be wrong. I had a MUGA done, and it showed the 34%. The MUGA is the most accurate test, and is the only one that is repeatable.

kdbgoat said:
Also not to hijack, nobody should rely on an echo for your heart ejection fraction. The last echo I had said 63%, and I knew that had to be wrong. I had a MUGA done, and it showed the 34%. The MUGA is the most accurate test, and is the only one that is repeatable.

Is the MUGA similar to a nuclear stress test?

Im 65. Had 2 stents put in 4 years ago.. Got out of the hospital on thur.  Raced a PV National MX race that weekend..
Have won half a dozen National Championships since then..... Oh and got a total knee replacement 15 weeks ago...
They call me Bionic Bob now.. LOL

Bob

mweber (KC9NPT) said:
Is the MUGA similar to a nuclear stress test?

Similar, but no stress/exercise part. Piece of cake to do. All the MUGA does is test heart function, but it does it very well. It doesn't check arteries like a stress test or echo.

thomasamski said:
I was just told that I have heart issue whereas one artery pumps more than the other. The result is that I may have a stent installed to relieve the problem. What kind of issues  if any, do people face on the road? Is it advisable to go on long RV trips? I wouls hate to give up the RV lifestyle, but ...
I can't give you a factual answer to your question but, considering the ages of a lot of RVers, I would just guess that your condition is not unusual for many RV owners.  I myself have a decent ticker but 43 years of smoking has made me oxygen dependent and that has it's own drawbacks.  So my only advice is to consult your doctor and press on.

Bill

I've had 4 stents so far and my life has not changed one bit. Except that maybe I'm more thankful to be here. We just finished 12,000 miles of traveling and hiked all over the west. While I do pay more attention to what my body tells me these days, I don't give a second thought to living life to the fullest. Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom