Unhooking toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

I just wondered how you guys handle unhooking you toad at RV parks. I've noticed that most parks have a parking area just inside the park entrance and was thinking that it would be better to unhook the toad in that area instead of blocking the road at the site when arriving. How do you handle it?

As one with only a TT that might have to wait while you unhooked, that sure could be viewed as frustrating and kinda selfish.  Whenever I feel my actions inconvenience others, I question my actions. 

However...  I am also a realist.  A Tuesday morning at 11:00 am I would have a different mindset, as opposed to a Friday afternoon at 5:00.

So my answer is, it depends.  But if you pull in and feel you should unhook right away, do so.  Besides, you will be less rushed and less prone to make a mistake.

It depends on the park. Some parks have plenty of room at the entrance, some even insist on you unhooking near the entrance, but at some parks they seem content to have you unhook at or near your site, especially on pull though sites. We do try to avoid blocking a road, but there are a few places where there's no choice.

So it varies, depending on the conditions, just like so much else in RVing.

As said, "It depends..." At parks we're not familiar with and haven't booked a pull-thru, we usually ask at check in where they prefer we unhook the toad. At one park we revisit on occasion, the recommended spot is the pull thru at the dump station, since it's rarely in use during afternoon check in times.

Ho fixed rule, but more often than not we would unhook at the entrance. The wife typically got the car [mostly] disconnected while I was in the office checking in.  That way we avoided any possible hassle once we got to the site, e.g. a narrow road or traffic.  If we had a pull through reserved, we usually took it to the site, though.

We usually unhook at the entrance if there's room. DW grabs, a radio, finds the site and confirms that we can get in without any major issues. If there's an issue she can let me know while I'm still at the office.

No fixed rule, just depends on the situation and each one seems to be different.

If I know the sites are large enough and the roads are wide enough at the turns, I will wait until I pull into the site to disconnect, that is rare however.  I generally will gauge the check in when we pull in and if there are already people inside checking in, I will hurry and disconnect the Jeep then head in to register.  The timing usually works out well as my wife and I are walking in, the people ahead of us are walking out.  If we are the only ones there sometimes my wife will head in and I will start to disconnect or if the area is large enough, we will just check in then come out and disconnect.  To be honest, I can be unhooked in less than 2-minutes and if someone can't wait that long they are participating in the wrong hobby.

Mike

We usually disconnect at the entrance.  Many parks have an area near the front that is large enough and out of the way so we don't block the road and it is usually safer for us too.  Unless there is absolutely NO other option I will NOT block a road to disconnect.  I would rather pull out, go to a near by parking lot and disconnect than block a road.  First - I think it is common courtesy - Second and maybe more important, you never know when an emergency will occur, for all you know there is an ambulance already on the way and you blocking the road could be the difference between a good outcome and a less than desirable outcome for the patient.  Simply put its not all about me.

Depends on many things.. I'm on a pull through site that is long enough. I pull in and level the RV before I unhook.  I will hook up this afternoon, pull out tomorrow.

Another park I pull off to the side of the "Isle" it is long enough, Unhook, back in then drive the car in.

No way am I walking the half mile to the parking lot. (I am not kidding that is how far it is).

Back
Top Bottom