Finding a leak is so frustrating!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

I have a leak that I just cannot find the source! I've had the roof re-coated and all of the sealant checked and re-done where needed and I still have a leak I cant find. Its right at the seam where the roof meets the MH, just at the rear corner of a window and only leaks when we have a hard rain. Any suggestions on how to find it?

So, it could be either the roof seam or the window seal, or maybe even the vertical seam in the corner. And sometimes the source is further away - water can run sideways for an amazing distance before finding its way downward.

Pulling the window out and re-installing with new sealant (butyl tape) is not a difficult job, so maybe worth trying, even if the evidence is not clear.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
So, it could be either the roof seam or the window seal, or maybe even the vertical seam in the corner. And sometimes the source is further away - water can run sideways for an amazing distance before finding its way downward.

Pulling the window out and re-installing with new sealant (butyl tape) is not a difficult job, so maybe worth trying, even if the evidence is not clear.

If the leaks at a window, would it show up several inches above the window? This one is about 6 inches above the window in the edge of the roof moulding. (see pics)

Attachments

• SAM_1591.JPG
    SAM_1591.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 59
Here are some pics of the leak and the outside area.

Thanks for comments

Attachments

• SAM_1591.JPG
    SAM_1591.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 30
  • SAM_1593.JPG
    SAM_1593.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 52
  • SAM_1594.JPG
    SAM_1594.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 58
  Consider leaking air-conditioner seals. Water can run across the ceiling come out somewhere unexpected.

johnhicks said:
  Consider leaking air-conditioner seals. Water can run across the ceiling come out somewhere unexpected.

I checked them even though the AC is 10 feet from the leak and I don't see any signs of leakage in that area of the coach.

If I were you, I think I would do a little careful dissection.
My guess is that the leak is in one of those trim pieces, likely at a screw....
either that L shaped thing on the side wall with what looks to be face screws, or that trim that terminates the membrane across the top, or less likely under the gutter trim.
I would start digging that caulk away and carefully start pulling those trims away.  I'll bet you'll see evidence pretty quickly to help you home in on it....

actually as I think more about it...I would start inside.  I'd pull that trim piece down and start from there.....  yeah, I would start inside

blw2 said:
actually as I think more about it...I would start inside.  I'd pull that trim piece down and start from there.....  yeah, I would start inside

Thanks, I pulled the inside trim pieces off this afternoon but can't really tell where the water is coming from. We had heavy storms again this afternoon so I'll keep an eye out for where the water runs down first.

were you able to get the ceiling panel down for a look behind?
Ditto the wall panel?

I'd hope that once you get to where you can see the structure and outer skin of the roof/wall thing would get more clear....

blw2 said:
were you able to get the ceiling panel down for a look behind?
Ditto the wall panel?

I'd hope that once you get to where you can see the structure and outer skin of the roof/wall thing would get more clear....

Nope, not the ceiling panel but I did get the trim down that's at the ceiling joint. I think I found the leak though. I got up on the roof and noticed that one of the plastic vents was cracked down the side. I'm going to replace it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom