Propane smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ditsjets7

Hi all, well I think I or Simone may have bumped into the knob on my stove in my motor home. A friend mine saw the knob turned to ?pilot lite? and said he smelled the faint smell of propane. I did not notice the scent. What took me by surprise was when I took the vehicle to Camping World yesterday and it took 6.9 gallons of propane. The guy filling it told me that it is a 7 gallon tank. I did not think I was that low unles my gauges  are off. Here is my question......the sensor inside the motor home only senses o2, not propane leaks correct? We are taking our Maiden Voyage Friday and I hope there are no other leaks in the camper. Thanks for your time an replies.

Mike

Your motor home should have a working propane leak detector. I've never seen one with an O2 (oxygen) detector.

Here's a YouTube link for some general information.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev1pK80_aYQ
Of course, the leak detector is for detection of leaks inside the coach. If you're leaking propane outside at the tank or in the propane distribution line, then you should test your system for ANY leaks. A propane leak can be catastrophic to you and anyone near your vehicle.

Be safe and get it checked out by a professional.

I agree with regval, get it checked out by a professional. Google propane and the town you are close to and get it done. A propane explosion will ruin your day.

At very low levels the nose may sense the odorant before the sensor senses the propane (Propane by the way is odorless. they add a chemical to it so you can smell it).

I've seen that happen.. Good catch on teh knob.

The RV should have THREE alarms - Propane detector, located in the kitchen near the floor,  Smoke detector on the ceiling near the bedroom, and a CO Detector usually near the bedroom.  Some have a dual Propane / CO detector in the kitchen near the floor.

Note also these all have  expiration dates, usually 5 years for Propane and CO detectors and 8 - 10 years on smoke detectors.

Back
Top Bottom