Loving the advice,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurie J

I have appreciated the thoughts and advice I have received in trying to choose a new motor home RV. Original post may not have been clear enough. The use would be weekends, short trips ( week) or so. We spend most time out doors except for sleeping, and rough weather. Two grand daughters (10&12) will join on some trips. They want the over top bunk!  This forum has been great. Is there a good place with trusted reviews? I keep finding the one that wants me to spend 60.00 for a book. I saw a floorplan with Everything  I want, but not sure if it's a mid range quality unit. We were extremely lucky with our past Class C Jaycos a 2001, than 2007.( sold the 2007 in 2012, and have been sad ever since!) I
Research everything, but I know that not all sights can be trusted. I wasn't sure if it was ok to mention what we are looking at in case the thoughts were negative. Love reading and learning from the pros. Would love to be a full timer one day.
Appreciate all the help, Laurie

There is no place with reviews and if there was it would be worthless. We here all recommend buy used to avoid the massive depreciation that comes with a new RV and having to see it spend it's first six months getting repaired at the dealership. Most of us prefer to buy used. With a used RV it is floorplan, price and condition. The badge doesn't even matter.

The biggest difference between brands, and even the models within a brand is the materials they use. For the most part, construction methods are the same. You have to first find the floorplan that suits your needs/wants. Then start considering what features you need, the features you want, and what features you can add. Along with that, what things you do not want. Then start considering "do I need solid surface counter tops, or is laminate ok?"  "Do I really have to have solid wood cabinets, or is vinyl over manufactured wood products ok?" Units built with a higher MSRP at the factory as a general rule aren't built any better than the low priced entry level units. It's the materials that make up the price, the solid surface, solid wood, better furniture, better flooring, etc. Since I've now owned a motorhome, I have determined the next one will have to have levelers, or the price cheap enough that I can add them. We will also not have a corner type shower unless it's really big. That's the stuff you need to make up your mind about. As far as reviews, there is generally a forum for each manufacturer out there. Remember, people will post a complaint in a second, but hardly ever post about the good stuff. And each manufacturer will turn out a lemon, then the next identical unit off the line will be next to perfect.  Just find what you like, make sure of the condition if used, then go for it. 

I have to disagree a bit with the idea that materials don't matter, full body paint holds up better than vinyl graphics, solid wood cabinets are less prone to damage by heat and humidity than particle board, fiberglass shower pans are less prone to cracking with age than plastic, panels held in by screws hold up to vibration better than those held in by staples, ...

I didn't say materials didn't matter. I said it's what one can live with. Would DW and I like to have solid wood cabinets? Sure, but we are not the type of folks that slam/bang everything they own, so the vinyl over whatever will serve us fine. We can get better life out of the cheap cabinets than some could with welded steel cabinets.

I agree! I started this with used in mind. apparently everyone else has the same idea! I keep scouting the RV trader sites. I'll just keep looking. I wish I would have started  looking last fall! Thank you for your help!

I can totally tell the difference in some units. Even the outside seams were sloppy. I'm not a princess, so I don't have to have the best. Heck I still have laminate counters in my house. (actually thought....maybe I need to update the house instead of buy an RV,  :)) When I'm checking out units I push on the insides of the drawers, if It feels like it's gong to push through or gives way to much, it's a no. I also look at the tracking of the drawers. Some are just bad! It's funny how some are almost identical, but the quality of hardware, etc is different$$$$!

There's no problem telling folks here what you are looking at and even posting a link, you will get opinions thats for sure. 

Back
Top Bottom