Water Pump Replacment time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Y-Guy

I have a 2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J, the pump is acting like it's getting close to giving up the ghost.  So I've been trying to do some reading and deciding what to replace it with. The stock one is okay, but not really all that quiet, and since it's under the bed I'd like to consider getting getting a better one.  In reading up on this the variables seem to be the quieter ones, but at high price tag. But there two areas of concern; how much pressure my RV lines can handle and do I have enough amps for a variable water pump.

I've tired to do a search but really can't find what I'm looking for or I'm not searching for the right info to start with.  Does Winnebago specify the PSI for my year, if so where might I find that info?  Any other advice is welcome as far as brands, etc. as well.

Many thanks!

I've tired to do a search but really can't find what I'm looking for or I'm not searching for the right info to start with.  Does Winnebago specify the PSI for my year, if so where might I find that info?  Any other advice is welcome as far as brands, etc. as well.

Not sure what brand/model your pump is but if you can get to it and take a picture or write the part number/model number down then search it on the internet you'll have your answer for specifications.  You should also be able to find this data on the Winnebago site for your year/model.

FYI....you may not be able to find the exact model number on the internet.  On mine it was off by one number on the suffix.  After some searching, the difference in numbers was OEM vs replacement....no performance differences.

I'm not clear how a working pump would appear to be "close to giving up the ghost". Nor would I expect a 10 year old pump to be worn out.  What symptoms have lead you to this conclusion?

You don't have to worry about RV water pump psi.  Your coach meets RVIA standards for the water system, which basically means it was tested for at least 85 psi (most manufacturers do a 100 psi test these days).    The pump amperage depends on its max flow rate, not variable vs fixed, but the higher priced variable pumps typically include a higher max flow as one of the features.  The 12v supply line & fuse needs to be capable of the pump amps and the pump controller also needs to have a sufficient amp rating. Check the Winnebago wiring diagrams to verify. They are available in the Winnie website.

I think I read here that RIVA compliance means the water system is tested at 80 psi if that's any help. From everything I have seen, the Revolution model is the quietest. How it is mounted and plumbed will make a difference in the noise level also.

John Canfield said:
This Remco pump is the very best on the market IMHO. It's the only pump that's lasted more than a few years in my Horizon.

I beg to differ. I think this one is more reliable.

https://www.amazon.com/WATER-SOURCE-PP500NL-Pitcher-Pump/dp/B00827QOF8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521720549&sr=8-4&keywords=pitcher+water+pump

Rene T said:

https://www.amazon.com/WATER-SOURCE-PP500NL-Pitcher-Pump/dp/B00827QOF8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521720549&sr=8-4&keywords=pitcher+water+pump

Haha, not if it was installed in my RV. The power source couldn't be depended on. ;D

Thank you all, after reading about the PSI on some some reviews it had me a bit nervous.  I assumed I'd be ok but figured better safe then sorry.

I did download the wiring diagrams so I'll check that out too.

Spring Creek - thanks for the advice on getting the specs.

Gary - It's just a gut feeling but after 11 years with it it sounds different and some pulsing. So I figure I either have a small air leak or the pump is showing it's age, I'm just trying to be prepared for summer, and honestly the pump was never great to start with so the time might be right to swap it out before I'm stuck one trip.

John - that's the brand I'd looked at, dang not cheap but reviews were all very good.

Rene T said:
I have one on top of my artesian well at home. The kids play with it once I prime it.

We have one like it on the original hand dug well at our Adirondack cottage. The pump has been in regular use since 1947. We don't trust that well for drinking water anymore, but I still like to keep the pump working just for the fun of it. Last year I made new leather piston seals for it using scraps I bought at a local leather craft shop for $2. :)

Rene T---"You've got to prime the pump, you must have faith and believe
You've got to give of yourself ?fore you're worthy to receive
Drink all the water you can hold, wash your face, cool your feet
Leave the bottle full for others, thank you kindly, desert Pete"

Desert Pete
The Kingston Trio

And to think one of the forum staff started this thread drift, shame  :D (I'm messing with you Rene if it wasn't obvious)

------> Now we take you back to the topic of low voltage electric water pumps <-----

John Canfield said:
And to think one of the forum staff started this thread drift, shame  :D (I'm messing with you Rene if it wasn't obvious)

------> Now we take you back to the topic of low voltage electric water pumps <-----

Sorry. It was just a joke.

Anyway.....

I?ve had several Sureflo?s and they have all leaks, were stupid noisy, or I couldn?t stand the pulsing. Upon recommendation of one of the members I bought a FloJet. It?s a modulated, darn near silent pump at any flow, and it?s been solid after at least 8 years. Don?t have to say I?ll never go back because I won?t need to.

Rene T said:

Rene, that pump will last a lifetime if you replace seals as needed. We've had one at our hunting camp in da UP of Meeechigin eh for 30 years eh!

Alpena Jeff said:
Rene, that pump will last a lifetime if you replace seals as needed. We've had one at our hunting camp in da UP of Meeechigin eh for 30 years eh!

-----> Now we take you back to the topic of low voltage electric water pumps <-----

It's just a gut feeling but after 11 years with it it sounds different and some pulsing. So I figure I either have a small air leak or the pump is showing it's age,

It's unlikely that the pump itself is responsible for either one of those, but a new one will give you peace of mind. The Aquajet that John recommended is an excellent one - I've used them myself.  Many high end RV models come with the Remco Aquajet as standard equipment.

Pulsing with no faucets open results from a repetitive loss of water pressure and nearly always a leak. Could be water is leaking back through the pump, but there are dozens of other potential leak spots too. Pulsing with a water faucet open simply means the flow through the faucet is less than the pumps flow rate, so the pump has to cycle off/on to reduce the average flow. That's where a variable speed pump can help - it changes it's flow rate to match demand. It will still pulse at very low demand, though.

Noise is largely a matter of the surrounding plumbing and the mounting of the pump body.  If the water lines in/out of the pump are stiff, there will be vibration, and if the pump is not mounted on cushion feet  (or free floating), that vibration transfers to the RV body. Some OEM pump mounts make good sounding boards, like a guitar body!  If you have more noise than before, check the pump mounting and the piping. Tubing gets stiff with age, or shifts around from road travel, creating noise where there was none previously.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom