The cost of camping at some Ca State Parks is going up a bit more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
The cost of camping at Ca State Parks has gone up considerably in the past few years, presumably do to their budget woes. But starting March 1st a new fee is being added at parks that utilize a dump station instead of sewer hook ups at each site. At many such campgrounds a $10-$20 fee will be required for each use of the dump station, regardless of whether you are staying at the campground or just driving in.

The following is excerpt from the www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1029  web page. 

RV Dump Stations
California State Parks wants to thank our park visitors for helping us keep our parks and environment clean. The RV dumping stations installed within our state parks help us protect the environment and are added amenities for our visitors.

The department is adding new self-pay RV dump stations in ten state parks where the service has traditionally been free as part of a pilot program aimed at recovering costs for waste treatment services. This new service will be available for campers, day-use or transient visitors for $10-$20 per use, depending on the location. Please note that visitors with current reservations arriving on or after March 1, 2018 and interested in using the RV dump stations will be expected to pay the use fee. The price per campsite for these state parks does not include the use of a dump station.

The success of the program will determine the implementation of additional self-pay RV dump stations throughout California?s state parks.

This is "per use" fee, so campers with smaller holding tanks and longer stays should plan accordingly.

It will be interesting to see how they handle this. We were just at one of the parks that?s supposed to start charging and the rangers said that nothing has been done yet and they have no idea how it?s going to work. It would be nice if they?d give you one free dump if you?re staying in the campground, especially the ones that are $75/night. And $20 to dump PLUS the day use fee will keep a lot of people away.

It will probably be similar to the locking dump stations you see at Pilot/Flying J stations now. You had to swipe a credit card, or get an access code from a kiosk. I agree, they are really pushing the limits for camping fees.

We've used a few in other states that had honesty boxes where you fill out the envelope so that might be how they do it.

I'll bet the idea came from Anzo Borrego SP, where people who were boondocking in the surrounding desert could drive up to the campground entry station and pay $10 to use the dump station.

I predict the plants around the campsites are going to get a lot more "watering" in the future.

Just another on the LONG list of reasons why I will never set foot in California again.

I actually have a free pass for all the California State Parks.

I have only used it once for about a week at Anzo Borrego State Park a few years ago.

Most all of the California State Parks have sites that are too small for my rig unless I leave the Stacker at home.

The pass is called a Distinguished Veteran Pass.  I got mine about 5 years ago.

There are three ways to get one.

1. Prisoner of War.

2. Congressional Medal of Honor.

3. 100% Disabled Veteran.

Now I was not a POW and I am certainly not brave enough for the second.  I am however a 100% disabled Veteran.

Attachments

• r20180322_185957.jpg
    r20180322_185957.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 17
  • r20180322_190013.jpg
    r20180322_190013.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 12
I am getting slower and sleep much later.

I saw the Cardiologist yesterday and am having some tests.  Fifteen years ago I had a triple bypass.

The Distinguished Veterans Pass is for 50% or higher service-connected disability. And you must be a California resident when you get it.

There are a lot of CA state parks where boondockers use a day use pass to go in and dump. Most of them buy the annual pass.

It?ll be interesting to see how it all works out.

HueyPilotVN said:
I am getting slower and sleep much later.

I saw the Cardiologist yesterday and am having some tests.  Fifteen years ago I had a triple bypass.
Hope all well Bill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom