Fuel Filer Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrohog1

Does anyone have a recommendation on often the Fuel Filters and Fuel Water separator should be replaced??

Thanks for your help,

Herbie

On a MH yearly.  On a truck 10K miles is the general recomdation.

Herbie-

I wouldn't replace the water separator yearly.  I just replaced my fuel filter element yesterday before a trip to FL.  The separator that attaches to the bottom of the element.  In the five years I've owned it, I've probably replaced the primary filter six times (had a contamination issue a few years ago), the secondary (at the engine) twice, and the separator once. 

Once you get the hang of it, replacing the filter element is pretty easy.  (if it's at the back of the coach)  Takes me about 15 minutes and is good insurance to protect your injectors.

In many rigs the primary filter and water separator are one and the same. If not, you can work the separator on a different schedule. Sometimes they don't even need changing - just an occasional draining.

For a typical diesel coach, changing primary & secondary fuel filters is an annual affair. The alternative is to wait until engine performance goes in the crapper and then change. Inconvenient as Hell, but you may get years from a filter before a change is needed. Or not. A dirty fuel filter doesn't harm the engine.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
In many rigs the primary filter and water separator are one and the same. If not, you can work the separator on a different schedule. Sometimes they don't even need changing - just an occasional draining.

For a typical diesel coach, changing primary & secondary fuel filters is an annual affair. The alternative is to wait until engine performance goes in the crapper and then change. Inconvenient as Hell, but you may get years from a filter before a change is needed. Or not. A dirty fuel filter doesn't harm the engine.

We have just the one filter/water separator, and change it only when it's obvious it's clogged.  We carry two spares.  In 15 years of fulltiming, we've changed it 7 times, at intervals ranging from 8 months to 3-1/2 years.

It can be inconvenient, but putting in a new filter isn't a guarantee that your next tank of diesel won't be bad enough to clog it.

But a reminder--if you are going to do it on an as-needed basis, when you pull over to change it, make sure the moho isn't tilted such that gravity makes the fuel flow toward the filter.

Water separators usually have a drain on the bottom that allows you to drain fuel until the water is removed. Do you have one of these drains on your fuel filter?

Back
Top Bottom