What can I tow with my Volvo XC90?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MHBRM

I have been researching this topic for a few years and find this board to be extremely helpful.  I am hoping to gain some expert advice from the group.  I have a 2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum.  I had the dealer install the hitch and believe max tow capacity is 5000 lbs with 1210 as the max CCC per the sticker on the door.  I live in Colorado and would love to be able to go to the mountains.  I am really intrigued by the Little Guy Max (GVRW 3800), however several people towing with vehicles larger than mine have said it is too much.  On the flip-side there are people towing with a lot less vehicle.  I am not willing to do something unsafe and I am also not willing to ruin my vehicle.  Would any of the wise individuals on this board be willing to give this newbie some advice?

We pulled this with our murano but we did not like the bed so we bought a bigger trailer and a big truck.  But it might work for  you.

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2014-jay-flight-swift-slx/145rb/

Have also considered the new Mini Max from LG that came out this week with a GVWR of 2900 but we need sleeping space for two adults and two dogs.  Not sure it would work.

And I would really love to hear if you think the Max is really too much trailer for this vehicle...  I do not know what to think about the supercharged, turbo charging, 4 cylinder engine in regards to towing.

Hello can't say much about towing but took a look at the little guy max at a camping show recently and was very impressed buy the build quality very solid cabinets and doors lots of storage all around and the Windows lots and lots of light it Did Not feel like a tiny can

Welcome to the Forum!!  Thanks for asking BEFORE purchase!

And THANK YOU for providing the right numbers!  From the weight perspective, here is how I do the math.  The max load your car can carry is 1210#.  This is from the infamous yellow placard you quoted.  This must support the hitch wt of the TT, or 380# (10% of trailer GVWR) plus 80# for a WD hitch plus the weight of all passengers, pets and cargo carried in the car.

In other words, after subtracting (380 + 80)  460# from 1210# CCC, you have 750# for passengers and cargo.  Only you can determine this number, but my guess is you should be okay on the weights.  Being in the beautiful mountains, you may or may not like the towing characteristics, but you know how to prevent being overloaded.

You are correct, many people overload their vehicles, often because they were not inclined to do their homework, as you have done.  Others may choose a small camper for their larger TV or had too small of a TV and upgraded.  You are doing things in the right order!

Keep asking questions!

All Great advise above. 

May I suggest that you also look into a 'Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum' forum, maybe others have some towing experiences to share and help you with a better rounded picture.

Would any of the wise individuals on this board be willing to give this newbie some advice?
Yes, buy a truck. You will never be happy living in Colorado trying to tow with an SUV. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

If Gords numbers are correct and they usually are spot on. I say go for it Volvos are solid built and have great power plants you should be fine, of course a truck would be better in the mountains with bigger brakes and a more solid trans but give it shot. Im sure you will buy a bigger vehicle after using the trailer for a year or two.

If you are going to stay with that as your tow vehicle you may also want to look at tent trailers.  Some really nice ones out then and some nifty innovations.  We had ours for 10yrs and loved them.  Finally went to a hardside with the kids in their teens and some back issues.  Remember its not just the weight, you have the wind resistance.  It may be a little better than a brick wall aerodynamically but not much.

This versatile unit can be towed by most anything and configured to whatever you want to use it for including camping with a king sized bed.  8)

https://www.sylvansport.com/

DearMissMermaid said:
This versatile unit can be towed by most anything and configured to whatever you want to use it for including camping with a king sized bed.  8)

https://www.sylvansport.com/

Lol thats a glorified tent - lol back when i bought my first trailer at 16 i bought a starcraft tent trailer it was canvas that had 2 beds one on each end that folded out and a fiberglass top and nothing else no sink stove washroom nothing but i could set it up in 2 minutes as it has a wind up top lol paid $200 and towed that thing from Calgary to San Diego twice 5000 miles round trip. Had it for years till the canvas sides finally rotted lol

Ps Bears just love those things its kinda like meals on wheels or a backcountry drive in lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom