torque on rail bolts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Renoveindoc

A quick question (I hope) -- when touring last year in our 2014 Grand Design 36 ft Solitude we relied on the dealer installation of the rails in the truck bed. This spring we will be on the road about 3 months, and in addition to other things I want to check the bolts on the rails to be sure they are tight. A search of the forum for mention of this number turned up mention of anything from 95 lbs to 240 lbs torque. The Solitude has a GVWR of 16000 lbs, and a recent weighing showed a weight of 3260 lbs tongue weight. We use a PullRite Superlite hitch on our Ram 3500 diesel. What's the number to aim at in checking the nuts under the bed? Thanks for your input.

The weight that you are pulling has nothing to do with the torque that is applied to those bolts. Check the installation manual for the rails. Do you know who made them?

If you know the manufacturer, check their web site for an installation manual which should specify the torque.  If not, give them a call.  You ask a great question, but the answer is      it depends.

Here is what Reese recommends. See paragraph #11:

http://www.reeseprod.com/content/downloads/installation/N58425.pdf

Our original hitch and the rails came from Reese, so I followed the link provided by Rene T. and got my answer. Thank you all for pointing the way.

Back
Top Bottom