1992 Damon Challenger Chevy frame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B737doc

Gas gauge don't work, seems to be stuck on 1/8th of  a tank.  Repairing water damage beneath rear window and removed bed and base. Considering removing water tank and making an access panel to the fuel tank sending unit through the floor above the gas tank, but all I can see underneath is the wiring going to the sending unit, no real idea where the unit is actually positioned on top of the tank.  I can find no documentation on this vehicle at all, and was looking for someone that may have an idea as to how to get to this sending unit through the bedroom floor....

The fuel gauge, fuel pump and fuel lines are in a single unit centered at the top of the tank.  You may be able to see it from underneath the unit if there's a gap between the body and frame rail, or at one end of the tank, where you can look across the top of the tank (it's a few inches below the floorline).

I don't know about drilling an access hole, that depends on what's above the tank (obviously).  The usual method is to wait until the tank is almost empty, then release the fuel filler hose and lower the tank to get to the top.

Here's a link to a replacement 1992 Chevy P30 40 gallon fuel tank, you can see where the hole is located in relation to the fuel inlet at the upper left of the photo:

https://www.carparts.com/details/Chevrolet/P30/Replacement/Fuel_Tank/1992/C670174.html?TID=gglpla&origin=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw8_SuJGB2gIVg0ZeCh2GvQ21EAQYASABEgIuVPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I once had a stuck fuel gauge and ran a can of Seafoam through the tank, and it cleaned my problem.  It is great aftermarket fuel system cleaner.

Thanks Gary,  I'll wait till my boss aint here and print it off (300+ pages)!  I have the next 2 days off and the mattress and box springs are already out of the way. The water tank looks very easy to remove. Will remove it and use a hole drill to make a hole just big enough to get a small mirror in there to see where to make a bigger hole. Gas tank too big for me to wrestle out by myself.

B737doc said:
Thanks Gary,  I'll wait till my boss aint here and print it off (300+ pages)!  I have the next 2 days off and the mattress and box springs are already out of the way. The water tank looks very easy to remove. Will remove it and use a hole drill to make a hole just big enough to get a small mirror in there to see where to make a bigger hole. Gas tank too big for me to wrestle out by myself.

Might just as well drop the tank, it probably needs the fuel lines replaced anyways. You don't want to be out on the road someplace and have one of them start leaking. Get as much gas out as you can and use a floor jack to take it down. I did one end at a time on mine. Set one end on some 8" cement blocks then dropped the front down as far as the jack would allow.

Make sure the ground wire is good and has good connections at the tank and the frame.

Back
Top Bottom