Lovebugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judway

ALL

For you "Florida Haters"  :mad:and you Florida Residents who are homesick. ;D

Attached is a picture that you will appreciate and a cartoon published in the Orlando Sentinel today.

judway

Attachments

• lovebug1 (Small).jpg
    lovebug1 (Small).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 144
  • lovebug2 (Small).JPG
    lovebug2 (Small).JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 101
Ewwww, brings back not so good memories of cleaning off those dang things. I think there were still some stuck to the 5th wheel when we sold it 5 years later. Was thinking we needed a trip back to Florida but must remember to stay away during love bug season.

Wendy

Reminds me of a motorcycle ride with our group out of San Antonio a couple of years ago.  The love bugs were really bad.  We were going up a back country road outside of Gonzales, TX. with about 8 motorcycles.  My wife was on the back with me.  Up the road about a half a mile was another couple (not with our group) not wearing helmets.  We were just following behind them when all of a sudden we saw them slam on their brakes and pull over real quick.  As we got closer, we found out why.  It was a solid cloud of love bugs.  By the time we got into Gonzales, we could hardly see out of our visor.  The road captains brand new white Goldwing was a mess.  Boy did we have a time cleaning those up.  I couldn't imagine what it would have been like without a helmet!

While driving to Orlando, I stopped in Gainesville for gas and saw a product called LoveBug Wipes so I bought some and used them. They work pretty good, you have to get those things off the paint quick or they'll eat right through the paint before you even get home.

Lovebugs are just the worst thing during the months that they are active. I know that if you don't get them off quickly, they WILL eat through your paint.
While driving to Orlando, we stopped in Gainesville, Fl. to get gas and came across some wipes made for lovebugs. I paid $7 bucks for a bottle and they work pretty good, although for our camper it does take a few. Either way, it reminded me to get them off the paint job. They have a website, www.lovebugwipes.com, if someone is interested. 

ok, I had to wikipedia the lovebug cause I didn't know what they were. We have them here in arizona too, smaller and called kissingbugs. Last spring there was a spot
on the news about a new disease coming from these kissingbugs. Although wikipedia
says they don't bite, they do cause this news spot talked all about it and this new
disease they carry that has no cure. Can't remember what it was called, suppose I'd
have to google stuff to find it.

ava said:
ok, I had to wikipedia the lovebug cause I didn't know what they were. We have them here in arizona too, smaller and called kissingbugs. Last spring there was a spot
on the news about a new disease coming from these kissingbugs. Although wikipedia
says they don't bite, they do cause this news spot talked all about it and this new
disease they carry that has no cure. Can't remember what it was called, suppose I'd
have to google stuff to find it.
If this is the kissingbug you are talking about, then it is nothing at all like the lovebugs we have in Florida.  I can see where that bug would bite.  Lovebugs do not bite.  The best short description of lovebugs would be that they are like two small fireflies joined together at the rear end, but they do not glow.  Perhaps they're burned out.  :D

I tend to stay away from bugs period. That article was interesting though but the
picture didn't look like what I've seen here. Little black and red bugs runnin around with their butts stuck together, total length of the two about 1/2 inch.

In the Imperial Valley, Ca. We have White Flies & butterflies in the summertime. The White flies are thick but clean off fairly easy.  The butterflies make a terrible mess & are difficult to remove. We also have crickets. Oh yeah I almost forgot, it is over 100 degrees from May to October.

Oh, lovebugs!! Boy, does this thread bring back some memories!  ;D  When hubby and I first married, he moved me to FL (we were both from PA) after his return from a 6 month Med. cruise. As we hit FL, we soon were so covered in lovebugs that we could barely see. He was driving his 1-ton 4x4 truck, towing my small car on a car trailer behind. We were loaded with stuff! We finally had to pull over because visibility was so bad. A FL native that was at the gas station where we stopped told us what to use to clean off our windshield so that we could see. We weren't far into FL and still had some distance to go. I would have never believed what he told us to use, if we hadn't been so desperate that we tried it...Coca-Cola! He said that the acid in the soda helped remove them from the windshield. We went in and bought a big cup at the soda fountain inside, and poured it over the windshield, running the wipers and rubbing with paper towels. We then washed it all off with clear water. What a difference it made!
Thanks for the memories...this just gave hubby and I a chuckle, remembering the old times! We'll be celebrating 16 great years together in November.

LuAnn

I KNOW, right??!!  ;D  ::)  Like I said, we thought he was crazy. But, I noticed he had FL tags on his car. He was an older guy (older than us). When I asked him if it really worked, he said "I was born 'n raised here in FL, and that's what I use to get them off."  I turned to hubby and said "what do we have to lose, but a little bit of change for a Big Gulp? We've already tried washing it off with the windshield wash stuff at the pumps, and we know that doesn't work!"  Let me tell you, we sure got some funny looks when folks saw him wandering around the truck with that big cup in his hand, throwing it on the windshield! We really must have looked stupid, especially since we had PA tags on our vehicles! LOL!! But, it worked well enough to get us back out on the road, and we made it down to Green Cove Springs/St. Aug. area by the time they started getting to be too much again.

LuAnn

Maybe some of you would like to see the lovers close-up.

carson

Attachments

• Lovebugx2.jpg
    Lovebugx2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 30
carson said:
Maybe some of you would like to see the lovers close-up.

carson

I live in Colorado. The Lovebugs live in Florida. That's close enough for me :)

Back
Top Bottom