Fan-Tastic Vent remote died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

Got van out of storage yesterday to put some charge in the house batteries and discovered that the 6000R Fan-Tastic Vent remote (417RF) was malfunctioning.  Most of the temperature/percentage LED's did not work and it had difficulty marginally controlling the fan functions.  Yes, I did put fresh batteries in the unit.  Called Fan-Tastic Vent customer survive was told that a remote for that unit was no longer available (bought fan in 2008).  Only choice is to upgrade (aka: buy a new 7350  fan and remote).  Any words of wisdom before I buy and install a new fan???  If anyone has an extra 417RF remote  that works...........  I will play with the remote a little bit more, you know hit it with a hammer, get my 8 year old grand daughter to look at it, etc.  I am afraid though I will need to replace both the fan and the remote.

If you had alkaline batteries in the remote, try cleaning the battery contacts with a bit of vinegar on a Q-tip.  Battery seepage can damage the contacts just like on a lead-acid battery, but since the battery's chemistry is different you need to apply the opposite chemistry to neutralize the damage.

On a lead acid battery, you use an alkaline (baking soda) to clean the terminals.  An alkaline battery needs an acid cleaning (vinegar) to get the same results.

This might be what you are looking for

https://www.etrailer.com/question-204983.html

Appears I have three options: 

A.  etrailer.com tech people say the new remote can work in place of the old one (contradicting what the Fan Tastic Vent operator told me)...cost $40 including shipping

B.  Up-grade kit to make older models in to the new 7350 model w remote (all lower end parts, use old upper parts:  frame, fan and plastic dome).....cost $160

C.  New 7350 unit w remote.  Scrap all old parts and bolt in new unit........$255

Will try "A" first.  Ordered remote from etrailer today.  If they are wrong will return remote and go with plan "C" and get all new fan.

Len and Jo said:
Appears I have three options: 

A.  etrailer.com tech people say the new remote can work in place of the old one (contradicting what the Fan Tastic Vent operator told me)...cost $40 including shipping

B.  Up-grade kit to make older models in to the new 7350 model w remote (all lower end parts, use old upper parts:  frame, fan and plastic dome).....cost $160

C.  New 7350 unit w remote.  Scrap all old parts and bolt in new unit........$255

Will try "A" first.  Ordered remote from etrailer today.  If they are wrong will return remote and go with plan "C" and get all new fan.

Follow-up

A. etrailer tech appears to be wrong, at least in my application.  6000 r vent did NOT respond the 7350 remote.

C. Bought a new 7350 vent for $280.  I removed the old 6000 r and dropped in the 7350, turned it on and, and, and.........it did not work !!!!!!!!  Not a happy camper.  Removed the vent to get it ready to return to Amazon.  Gave it a close look and found that the vent drive motor installation did not look right.  One of the two mounting screws only installed half way.  The motor female drive shaft was not mated with the male shaft on the cover opening mechanism.  Got them together, the fit was VERY tight.  Installed it for the second time and it now works fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom