Hydraulic Slides - Any Lubrication?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

I believe my manual says no need to lubricate but I shriek to hear the squeal when putting the slides in and out.

Any reason I shouldn't hit with some WD40?

What does everyone else do with this similar MH?

Thanks All!

I lube my exposed rams a couple times a year.  First I gently wipe down with some fine steel wool, then hit with a silicon spray, making sure to get the bottoms that ride on the guide blocks.

Not sure if "factory approved" or not, but works for me and seems to help.  Just avoid using any sort of grease spray that dirt would stick to... that makes things worse.

emiddleb said:
..... Just avoid using any sort of grease spray that dirt would stick to... that makes things worse.
Use a pressure washer to clean the slides and you could wipe them down with something like a Scotchbrite pad (they come in different 'grits'), I would avoid steel wool because you could leave tiny strands of steel everywhere that can rust.

You want to use a dry lube, silicon spray might be okay but unless it's a food grade spray it will contain petroleum products.  Like emiddleb mentioned, never use oil, grease or anything like that because it will kill your nylon glides.

Any squeal you heard almost surely did not come from the hydraulic ram & associated levers.  Keeping the rams clean (see other's advice) is good practice, but they don't need lubing. A squeal is likely to be simply a rubber wiper or seal sliding over the surface. It's not harmful, but a silicone lube on the rubber seals can reduce annoying noises. 

From what I've seen & heard from others, Winnebago slides have skid pads on the underside that glide over the floor.  If yours is like that and a skid pad is broken or loose, it needs to be replaced.

Yes, we have nylon skid pads - They actually look just like the skid pads on my dolly for the car to rotate on the platform.

Ok thanks all.  Anyone want to throw out the name of a "dry" lube.  Is silicone considered a "dry" lube?

Thanks again!

Oh and one more thing - I need to check the oil for the hydraulics (the reservoir is under the stairs which tilt up) what type of oil would I add if it needed any?  It was really cold when I tried to check it and the cap didn't want to come off so I decided it was good until spring :D :D

KandT said:
...Oh and one more thing - I need to check the oil for the hydraulics (the reservoir is under the stairs which tilt up) what type of oil would I add if it needed any?  It was really cold when I tried to check it and the cap didn't want to come off so I decided it was good until spring :D :D

Btw, when checking the HWH hydraulic oil level in the 36RD all of the jacks should be up and all of the slides should be in EXCEPT for the passenger side bedroom slide, which should be out (because that slide mechanism actually retracts to put the slide out and extends to pull it in).

cbeierl said:
Btw, when checking the HWH hydraulic oil level in the 36RD all of the jacks should be up and all of the slides should be in EXCEPT for the passenger side bedroom slide, which should be out (because that slide mechanism actually retracts to put the slide out and extends to pull it in).

Thanks Cbeierl!  My bedroom passengers slide comes in at about 50 mph so I guess now I know why.

Anyone ever have a leaky Splendide clothes washer?  I suspect I have a burst in a line that I missed winterizing properly.  Not exactly the easiest thing to get out of its hole and I bet even tougher to get back in. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

KandT said:
Thanks Cbeierl!  My bedroom passengers slide comes in at about 50 mph so I guess now I know why.

Anyone ever have a leaky Splendide clothes washer?  I suspect I have a burst in a line that I missed winterizing properly.  Not exactly the easiest thing to get out of its hole and I bet even tougher to get back in. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

I managed to crack the plastic water input manifold (pic below) with improper winterization early on and had to replace it.  Contact Westland Sales for parts and support--they're great.  To get mine out I built a wooden platform the same height as the floor under the Splendide.  Using that I was able to slide the machine out after unscrewing the two mounting brackets which hold down the front feet (and undoing the exhaust vent hose clamp via the access hole above the machine).  Took a while, but I was able to do it on my own.

Attachments

• SplendideColdValve.JPG
    SplendideColdValve.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 20
If I heard any squeal I would be looking to make sure all the pads are in place

cbeierl said:
I managed to crack the plastic water input manifold (pic below) with improper winterization early on and had to replace it.  Contact Westland Sales for parts and support--they're great.  To get mine out I built a wooden platform the same height as the floor under the Splendide.  Using that I was able to slide the machine out after unscrewing the two mounting brackets which hold down the front feet (and undoing the exhaust vent hose clamp via the access hole above the machine).  Took a while, but I was able to do it on my own.

GREAT ADVICE!  I never thought to just keep it at the same height.  Simple is always brilliant!  I would just about guarantee you I have the same cracked manifold. 

If my jacks have been down for a extended period, especially on a gravel site I will clean and spray with WD-40 or just clean with wd-40. This is from a HWH document:
"If the jack is extended, use soap and water or WD-40 on the jack rod then wipe the rod dry with a clean
cloth.

IMPORTANT: Do not use a dirty rag to wipe the jack rod or do not wipe the jack rod if it is coated with dirt.
This could scratch and damage the rod. Make sure to use water or WD-40 to loosen any dirt before
wiping the jack rod.
If the jack rod has been greased or silicone sprays have been used on the jack rod, use WD-40 to loosen
the grease or silicone and wipe the rod clean."

You can read the whole document here:
https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml47149.pdf

On second read, sorry about taking this slightly off topic. I've been all over HWH site looking into a issue I've been having with my hydraulic jacks I guess I've had Jacks on my brain.  :D

sgkane said:
If my jacks have been down for a extended period, especially on a gravel site I will clean and spray with WD-40 or just clean with wd-40. This is from a HWH document:
"If the jack is extended, use soap and water or WD-40 on the jack rod then wipe the rod dry with a clean
cloth.

IMPORTANT: Do not use a dirty rag to wipe the jack rod or do not wipe the jack rod if it is coated with dirt.
This could scratch and damage the rod. Make sure to use water or WD-40 to loosen any dirt before
wiping the jack rod.
If the jack rod has been greased or silicone sprays have been used on the jack rod, use WD-40 to loosen
the grease or silicone and wipe the rod clean."
You can read the whole document here:
https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml47149.pdf
When I bought my coach the owner said the jacks won?t go up without some help with a 2X4 - using it as a lever underneath the jack and pulling up.  He swore one had been that way since he bought it new and maybe needed new springs. 

A couple of squirts of wd 40 and It works perfectly!!

edit by staff - fixed quote block

Reply to jacks we have used ATF fluid for years jacks used to not retracted but after wiping with atf fluid a couple times a year no problem.

Back
Top Bottom