Cleaning roof top A/C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benner

Good morning,
Quick question, would you recommend a " no rinse " air conditioner coil cleaner for both the evaporator & condensing coils for my roof top A/C.

A/C works great but bought MH used from private sale ( well kept ) sat for several yrs before I bought so I would to give it a cleaning is all.

Has anyone used this no rinse cleaner before & what is your opinion?

Thx for your time

I always use a water hose with a nozzle but you have to be real careful not to bend the fins. Spray them with a soapy spray cleaner, let it set for a while then rinse with the hose.

I like my NEw COLEMAN air Conditioner. You see, Coleman's SUCK.
What that means is the crud builds up on the OUTSIDE of the condenser coils where you can easily peal it off or brush it off with a soft bristled brush.  And I have one not designed for that (Fuller Step Brush) but perfect for the job, left over from when I sold Fuller Brush oh, 45 years ago.

I understand the water hose method, that is how I do my window units for the house. I use Foam Tech due to high volume of foaming and use hose to rinse clean however I'm fairly new the camping life so I'm learning as I go. Not to ask dumb question but when cleaning the roof top unit spraying water directly into the condenser coil, does any water leak inside?  Also, How would you go about cleaning the inside coil? I understanding using a brush and thats good but I would like to start from scratch then every so often brush it down. This unit may have never been cleaned so brushing may not take all off the 1st round.

Thoughts?

Thanks

The inside coil should be fairly clean because you should have a filter to clean the air before it passes through the coil.

While you are at it, take the inside plastic off, there are just Phillips screws and clips holding it.  Inside there are 4 bolts holding the unit on the roof to the inside mechanism.  There is a rubber gasket between the roof and the roof unit.  I alway found that once or twice a year those bolts had to be tightened to make sure there were no leaks.  By tightening, you just need to ensure that there is pressure on the rubber gasket, no need to over tighten.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
While you are at it, take the inside plastic off, there are just Phillips screws and clips holding it.  Inside there are 4 bolts holding the unit on the roof to the inside mechanism.  There is a rubber gasket between the roof and the roof unit.  I alway found that once or twice a year those bolts had to be tightened to make sure there were no leaks.  By tightening, you just need to ensure that there is pressure on the rubber gasket, no need to over tighten.

Ed

Good idea Ed.  I'm going to have to look at mine soon.

Rene, it is a 15 minute just that will save you hours of trying to clean ceiling stains.

Ed

I just had to clean the condensation drains on our unit when we started getting water dripping down into the trailer. They are just two small holes with rubber grommets on either side of the unit that let the condensation run out onto the roof. They had gotten gummed up and were easy to clean out with a bent wire. It?s something that has to be done from the roof, but it?s a simple job once you locate the drains.

Thank you for all the tips and advice. I look forward to warmer weather so I can go out and tackle this!
Like always, this forum came through for me.
Again, thanks for your time and help

Take care,
Chad

As a side note, the first time I clean our roof top A/C was after we made our initial trip south to Snowbird, and the front A/C was not blowing as much air as it used to.  So, I went up, removed the plastic cover, and discovered a large wast(yellow jacket) nest in the middle of the A/C unit.  Luckily we had had a cold fall with heavy freezing, so they were all dead, but I had no idea that the were hitching a ride, and it could have been trouble if I had tried to clean it before the freeze.
  All that to say, be careful opening it up to make sure you don't have guests.  Also, from that point on, I took precautions to seal up any openings when the coach was being stored.  Pieces of plastic over the A/Cs, or behind the fridge, heater and water heater panels.

Ed

home depot sales coil cleaner made for your a/c unit. spray on foam and rinse off. works great on radiators also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom