Anyone figure out how to fill with fuel without reinserting your card?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have found that for a  gasser the Flying J with RV lane is very convenient, but where there is none it can be a big challenge to navigate a longer RV and dinghy past their pumps. That makes any advantage of a larger pump limit seem like a nonissue.
There are very few gas stations that are not a big challenge for RVs to navigate, especially RVs with a dingy. Flying Js without RV lanes are no more of a challenge to navigate than most other gas stations, and many are easier.

Since my rig and toad is nearly 60' long, the only fuel station that I can consider is one that has the pump islands running parallel to the road. If the pumps are at 90 degree angle to the road, it takes a LOT of swing room to get me out of there.

I would very much like to know how to get my .05 Fj discount and use my 3% BOA discount card. Can it all be done at truck pump? Do you swap cards at some point? If I use my BOA card, I assume I then will be limited by the card or pump swipe amt. Dutch thanks for the heads up.

I use a Good Sam "Swipe & Save" membership card for the PFJ $0.05 discount, and pay with my PenFed 5% Cash Rewards Visa card. PFJ's RV lanes usually have higher limits than the car fuel pumps.

BigJohn said:
I would very much like to know how to get my .05 Fj discount and use my 3% BOA discount card. Can it all be done at truck pump? Do you swap cards at some point? If I use my BOA card, I assume I then will be limited by the card or pump swipe amt. Dutch thanks for the heads up.

The first card the pump asks for is the payment card. In our case, a Visa cash back card. Then it will ask for a "loyalty" card. This is what gives us .08 cents off a gallon of the cash price (usually).  The limit is set by the stations agreement with the credit card company.  Usually Visa is $150 per swipe, and MC can be $75-$100 depending on the station.

have learned to take 2 charge cards while travelling because I have had my card cancelled before---not a pleasant experience

Go in, prepay $200. Fill. Go back in. Get receipt. This takes a little more time.....but I'm not in a hurry.  Big news folks, neither are the truckers who parked at the pump and are in the restaurant or having a shower.

Big news folks, neither are the truckers who parked at the pump and are in the restaurant or having a shower.

I've not encountered much of that. That's why truck stops provide other parking for the trucks, and is why the protocol to pull forward after filling to let the next guy in was developed.

Go in, prepay $200. Fill. Go back in. Get receipt. This takes a little more time.....but I'm not in a hurry.  Big news folks, neither are the truckers who parked at the pump and are in the restaurant or having a shower.
I haven?t seen truckers at the diesel pumps do that, but I?ve seen that happen at the regular gas pumps. Not truckers, but pickups and cars. Drivers will leave their vehicles for 10, 15 or 20 minutes at a time.

Dragginourbedaround said:
I haven?t seen truckers at the diesel pumps do that, but I?ve seen that happen at the regular gas pumps. Not truckers, but pickups and cars. Drivers will leave their vehicles for 10, 15 or 20 minutes at a time.

Personally, it doesnt bother me what diesel drivers do because I have a gasser, but at the gas pumps when people leave their vehicles for more than a couple of minutes it bothers me, not necessarily because I am in that big of a hurry, but because I am efficient.

It has been years since this happened but we were in another state besides California and I pushed the talk button for the attendants attention. I simply asked him to let the pump run until I was full..which turned out to be around 150 dollars. Maybe this was just a fluke and I got lucky...

ChasA said:

Unfortunately I have seen this a lot. Even when it is other truckers that they are slowing down. The level of courtesy in the profession has suffered the last few years. Too bad.

dkreuzen said:
I have been using the Pilot/Flying J RV Plus charge card for the last 6+ years. I can use it at any of the pumps and get 8 cents off per gallon. I rarely go to any other fuel stops.
X2 and use truck lanes. Also when we sit for winter in Florida or wherever we pay ahead monthly so we have a credit for when we start to move again.

Why worry about having to insert the card twice? It only takes an extra 30 seconds and a lot less energy than walking in and prepaying, and then walking back in to get your receipt to make sure you weren't charged the entire amount you prepaid if you didn't use it all.

John Stephens said:
Why worry about having to insert the card twice? It only takes an extra 30 seconds and a lot less energy than walking in and prepaying, and then walking back in to get your receipt to make sure you weren't charged the entire amount you prepaid if you didn't use it all.

My thoughts exactly! Not only a lot less energy, but a lot less time for those waiting in line.

Some time it won't let you insert the card twice so I just get the DW card & top her off.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The card processor assumes liability for the transaction and sets the approval limit.  While the individual station could change or even eliminate the dollar limit, it would then have to assume the risk of any bad transactions.

This makes perfect sense and is totally understandable from the perspective of the stations owners.  The stations attendants have always told me it's the credit card company that sets the limit.  I know this is not true since my cards cut off at varying amounts.  More likely than not, the attendants don't have a clue and are just tired of having the same question asked repeatedly throughout the day. 

Gary, thanks for the post. 

garyb1st said:
This makes perfect sense and is totally understandable from the perspective of the stations owners.  The stations attendants have always told me it's the credit card company that sets the limit.  I know this is not true since my cards cut off at varying amounts.  More likely than not, the attendants don't have a clue and are just tired of having the same question asked repeatedly throughout the day. 

Gary, thanks for the post. 

Yep, most stations just default the setting to whatever amount the card company will reimburse them for a fraudulent pump swipe transaction. Paying inside doesn't incur those limits on the assumption that the attendant is in a better position to catch a fraudulent card user.

I'll always try and use truck pumps, much faster.  We have a cash back Visa, but only if used at the pump.  It has been all over the place as far as how the dollar amount goes, and sometimes it doesn't even require any proof of ownership of the card.  Only once has it happened where I could not swipe the card more than once.  The biggest problem I have found is in Oregon at the truck lanes.  They want a tax number, which I don't have, PITA.  I have noticed that flying j, loves and pilot are not the cheapest, but I'll pay the extra for the faster pump and easier access.

The Oregon tax number is because they have two ways of collecting their road tax, either at the pump like most other states or separately via the tax account. Commercial users have the option to register with the Oregon DOT and pay the fuel taxes for all their trucks at the same time.

Somehow the lower price is what winds up being posted on the roadside signs, but with today's electronic pumps stations should be able to add the tax into the pump price if you don't enter a number.

Back
Top Bottom