Where to go in the Smokies in July?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dance Chick

Need some input, please.

We want to escape the FL heat and are going to Mama Gerties in Swannanoa (Asheville) 7/24-8/4. I tried to get a site sooner in July, but they are booked. I happened to get lucky as they had just had a cancellation for the site I got. I even inquired about getting any site they had and changing sites during the month if necessary, but no go.

We'll be leaving a family reunion at Magnolia Springs CG in Millen GA on 7/9. We'd like to find a place within 4 hours or so from Millen that will then be 2 to 3 hrs. from Swannanoa. As stated, it will need enough elevation to be cooler. We require FHU and would like cable, however we have an upgraded antenna, so can get a good number of channels if the CG isn't in the boonies where there's no reception. We have our own hotspot, so WiFi isn't an issue. We MUST have Verizon cell service.  I've been searching and am having a bit of analysis paralysis. Pigeon Forge/Sevierville/Gatlinburg are not an option. Went there last fall. That'll do us for awhile. :)

We aren't hikers. We like to drive around a bit and end up in small, cute towns to walk around and eat lunch. We hang at the camp some and read and relax. We aren't die-hard sightseers.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for your help.

I used to make several trips to the western of the Park to run my car/motorcycle on the Tail of the Dragon, which is rt 129. It's a neat road without any cross traffic for 11 miles and 318 turns. This is where the movie Thunder Road with Robert Mitchum was made. But that is 2hrs away for you.
Neat little town of Maggie Valley with the Wheels thru Time motorcycle museum. Almost every bike on display is in running condition, and they are maintained that way.
Inside the park there is Hidden Valley. This community was self reliant thru WWII, and many of the original structures are still standing. Tremendous amount of history, and all with short walks. I'm not sure if it called Hidden Valley or not, but it is something to that affect.
Plus there are all sorts of attraction within the Park

Corky

I really liked Smoky Mt Meadows CG, in TN IIRC.  Shaded, up a private hollow, and quiet.  May be too boonie for TV though. 
Call and ask.  It's been a few years.  Things change all the time.

I was also wrong in thinking Roan Mountain had full hook-ups, but they don't. Probably not tv friendly either.

We have stayed at Creekwood Farms RV park several times it is convenient to a lot of entertainment areas. US 276 and I 40.

X2 for Creekwood Farm. We like to walk the old center of the town and visit the Mast General Store.

Thanks. Creekwood Farms is one of the ones on my list as I was researching. That helps having confirmation from others.

A little ps: at Creekwood  Farm try to get a site on the creek.

You may want to look at Blue Ridge, GA. It is a beautiful village in the North GA mountains. The town is small but quaint and beautiful. Old railroad that travels between towns (short ride) along the river. The town has very good restaurants and many little shops. It is located centrally between Hiawassee, GA and Ellijay. Fort Mountain State Park is a good day trip with a lot of history as well as four or five other parks all close by. Great hiking, fishing and views.

Back
Top Bottom