4KW Onan has a delay before turning over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graydude

Hi gang,

Sorry I have to post this but I could not find this issue in a search.  My 1998 Onan on a 31 Flair has a delay in cranking when I start from the driver's seat.  Usually 3 or 4 seconds go by before the unit starts to turn over after I depress the switch.  No clicking.  Just no action at all.  It will eventually start to crank and will start.  Does not seem to behave like this when its hot.  I have a delay at the starter switch for cranking on the unit itself but not as long.  I'm worried the thing will just fail as this maybe is a cry for help.  Here is what I've done:

1.  New T106 trojan 6V batteries.  Seems to turn over much slower when  the house voltage is down 12.6V.  That should still be enough for a good start?
2.  New Starter solenoid
3.  Battery connections are clean, tight and protected.
4.  New fuel pump and filter.  I should mention it runs great once it turns over

Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.

Genset is all better.  Turned out the starter went bad after only 570 hours.  3.5 hours of tech labor to remove and the genset from the coach and reinstall.  I provided an OEM starter I paid $107.00 on Amazon.  Thanks for all the comments!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom