Recommended portable air compressors for tires and blowing out lines...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humanaquarian

As the title reads, looking for something I can plug in that you guys use on your motor homes...
Thanks.

Here's what I use. $99 at Lowes or Home Depot.

http://www.portercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17019

FYI, Harbor freight also has them. If you go in with the 20% off coupon, it comes out to the same price that kdbgoat mentioned. I don't know what the weight is though.  I would recommend a compressor which will go up to 150 PSI. Stay away from the one's which only go up to 100 PSI.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-gal-15-hp-150-psi-professional-air-compressor-62380.html

Not only PSI, but you need to study the volume @ that PSI.  Most cheap compressors might show a rating of 150PSI, but the volume at that point is near zero.  Bought a Porter Cable pancake compressor about 5 years ago.  Was so impressed with it that I gave my big compressor away when we moved into this house.  This one have good volume ratings, I can run air tools, and air up tires fast.

HF-37.4 lbs, PC- 30 lbs.
Not trying to knock Central Pneumatic, but for the same money, I'd pick the PC. (and I did)

I am a new owner of a 2008 Phaeton.  In addition to the compressor recomendation, do you have a recommendation for a tool  to remove caps from inner wheel and for an air chuck to fill the tires?

Joe B
2008 Phaeton 40

Joeb101,
You should be able to reach the valve stems for the inner duals by reaching between the inner and outer tires with the inner stems near the bottom (ground). For air up , use a truck tire chuck. You can find them at truck stops or Northern Tool. I use this one https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_48541_48541

joeb101 said:
I am a new owner of a 2008 Phaeton.  In addition to the compressor recomendation, do you have a recommendation for a tool  to remove caps from inner wheel and for an air chuck to fill the tires?

Joe B
2008 Phaeton 40

They sell dual head air chucks and dual head air pressure gages.
Again check out the CFM rating of every compressor you consider.  Higher CFM means faster tire inflation.  Typical 12VDC  Viair compressors will be around 3.5CFM at 0 PSI. Thats right ZERO PSI. Good 120VAC compressors will be around 3.5CFM at 40 PSI.

While Viair makes excellent compressors, donn is right about the portable 12v models.  They don't produce high cfm rates because the amps required at 12v makes them expensive to build and few 12v sources on vehicles can handle high amps anyway (20-30 amps @ 12v).  Also needs a heavy gauge power cord/extension, at least 12 gauge.  120v power is a much better choice if you have 120v available where you need it, e.g. from a generator.

On the other hand, if you only need the compressor to top up a slightly low tire, cfm rates around 1.0 are not too limiting. Not adequate for blowing out water lines, though. For that purpose, you want lots of air volume (high cfm) but not much pressure (30 psi is plenty).

FOR OUR NEWER MEMBERS

A compressor rated at 100 psi will fill the tank to 100 psi, and shut off.  As you use air and the pressure drops, the compressor will come back on - around 75 or 80 psi.  If the most pressure you put in a tire is 70 or 75 psi, this will work fine for you.  HOWEVER  if you need 90 or 95 psi, this compressor will NOT get you there!  If you need this pressure, go with a 150 psi rated compressor, which will reliably provide 110 or 120 psi.

joeb101 said:

Joe B
2008 Phaeton 40
I use an extension and socket to reach the valve.

I have a sears Air compressor that I carry in one of the motorhome bays.  It works but has two shortcomings.  First, it's rather heavy  and second, it's not portable.  If I'm off-roading and need to air down my tires, I want to be able to fill them when back on the highway. 

Been looking at the Viair 450P RV, about $250.00.  It's light and portable.  Works on 12V so can take it with when off-roading.  Viair makes a similar model 400P RV which cost about the same.  It's faster but needs to be cooled down after maybe 20 minutes.  The one I want doesn't fill as quite as quickly but has a longer duty cycle.  From what I read, it's also quieter. 

I'll second the Viair for the toad, but it's not very good for the RV.  See Gary's and donn's posts above for some of the reasons.

I used to take a Sears compressor with me, but now being in a DP, which obviously has air on board, I just have 75 feet of coiled air hose (multiple sections) with the chuck, gauge, etc. so that I can tie into the rig's air system and use it to pump up the tires. Both volume and pressure are enough to do the job handily, so I no longer need the portable for the RV.

Rene T said:
FYI, Harbor freight also has them. If you go in with the 20% off coupon, it comes out to the same price that kdbgoat mentioned. I don't know what the weight is though.  I would recommend a compressor which will go up to 150 PSI. Stay away from the one's which only go up to 100 PSI.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-gal-15-hp-150-psi-professional-air-compressor-62380.html

I can also  vouch for this little compressor , I got mine on a sale for 39 bucks a few years back. I used it this past winter to clear the lines, worked great. I bought the cheaper 3 gallon 1/3hp, so not quite the one in the link but even cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom