Reason for blocks under ALS on concrete pad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnh10

Fort Pierce, FL (winter) - Franklin, NH (summer)
Noticed my neighbor has blocks under the front of his ALS on a level concrete pad.
Does this help with the performance of the ALS or stability? or something else?

Wondering if I should start doing this as well.

Attachments

• 20180324_122019.jpg
    20180324_122019.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 124
john owens said:
Probably being used as softeners so the concrete doesn't get scuffed up. Nice Pad I would do the same.

I use 4x4 wooden blocks under my landing gear for this exact reason (and to limit their travel a bit). I'm curious as to why your neighbor is using taller blocks on the front jacks only, though. I guess there is only 1 person that knows for sure.  ;D

I'd guess is that the owner is afraid the 5er could roll forward a bit and the long thin metal ALS supports will buckle and fold, similar to a kitchen table that had really long legs and could become easily tipped if pushed because of the top-heavy factor

I'd bet that the landing gear is a lot stronger and more stable than those stacked blocks.

HappyWanderer said:
I'd bet that the landing gear is a lot stronger and more stable than those stacked blocks.

I will second that and if the idea is to "Strengthen" the Landing gear... Well, it may make him feel better by it will have precisely ZERO effect.

One thing.. In the winter.. I once pulled off my gravel pad in JAN. The jacks came up off the wood block nicely, the wood block WOULD NOT MOVE  It was frozen to the gravel ground, which in turn was frozen.

I pulled off. tapped the wood block gently with my 8 pound sledge and it came loose right easily.

Might be why he did it.

We do quite a bit of winter boondocking, and put our landing gear on large pads for support on soft ground. If and when the ground freezes, we put a piece of building felt (tar paper) beneath the pad. You may have to leave (though we try very hard not to) the tar paper. But....that’s better than leaving your pad, frozen to the ground!

The pictured pads are 16”x16”, (3) pieces of 3/4” plywood laminated (glued/screwed) together with a piece of nylon strap between layers for a handle!

https://i.imgur.com/u4Pnp0Rm.jpg

Perhaps he's worried about the landing gear jacks leaking down over time? At least this way he would still be able to get his truck under the pin.

Back
Top Bottom