Normal speed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ditsjets7

Hi all-North bound in I77 in our 31 Foot-Class C.  I almew at this so, I make sure I don?t go over 65 MPH as I have learned from many of you here that that is the idea speed.

I just go my doors torn off by a Class A towing a Jeep Wrangler-he had to be going close to 85 MPH.  Am I being too cautious or was he going too fast?

He was going too fast. Unfortunately, there are folks out there who'll do almost anything, even if it's dangerous, so don't base what you do just on what you see some others do.

Stick to your guns, I try to stay at 62 -65. It's easier on the equipment and especially the tires. As you've seen some will push it no matter what. Ignore them.

There are several factors at play here involving safety.  But, if one feels bulletproof, there is also a financial factor, gas (fuel) consumption.  There is a good reason the Feds chose 55 mph back in 70's gas crunch.  It wasn't arbitrary.  Anything above that and air resistance becomes substantial thus MPG drops quickly beyond that point. I'm not suggesting you drive 55.  But, 62-65 mph as mentioned, is a good compromise.  So, your call.

Thank you all for your reassurance. We just got passed by yet Another Class A towing a Jeo grand Cherokee.
Tractor trailers pass us regularly but they are on the clock. We are on vacation with precious cargo aboard. This is our first real trip. It?ll be 1500 miles round trip when we get home. Thanks for all the advice and kind words.
Mike and Family!

Choose trips with less mileage and stick to the old highways and byways that can be really quite scenic.

Modern GPS doesn't mention these roads, but most good road atlases and maps will have the scenic routes marked.

For instance on I-85 going from Georgia to NC, you can hop on highway 11 at the Georgia border then traverse it through the foothills all the way to the edge of NC. The beauty of that highway is stunning. It's actually an old Cherokee trail that was paved. I never tire of that highway.

It's easy to enjoy 45-55 mph on back roads and enjoy some colorful scenery from historic small towns to bucolic fields of cotton and unique sites in between.

I enjoy the putter and sputter of back roads. My stress level is a lot lower, I don't grip the steering wheel too tight (a chronic problem I have to watch out for) and just being able to whimsically stop at special places that crop up when you least expect it.

If you enjoy eating out, on these back roads you will find some seriously good grub at small locally owned places.

Some of the back highways still have scenic pull offs and old fashioned rest areas that consisted of a picnic table, tree and often a creek or river or lake. The dog and I have had many breaks at such awesome quaint places with nature.

I've been known to take an entire day to drive 100 miles because I was provisioning and sightseeing along the way. Once I arrived at my camp which was chose for its remoteness and beauty, I was ready to kick up my heels for communing with nature.

On the back roads, if someone hugs my bumper, I just slow down and pray they go around me, most do.

The only caveat is that you must be mindful of the speed limits near towns. A few still rely on speed traps for income. Mostly they want you to slow down and see the town in hopes you stop and spend some money.  8)

If you have a tachometer, find optimal performance RPM from your motorhome manual. I thought I would drive at 55mph (5th gear) in my DP to get better mileage. Wrong, tried a trip at 62mph in 6th gear and increased mileage 1 MPG.

I did today, as always, 2K RPM and 60 mph most of the day on almost all flat lands.  No hurry on my part.

I travel 62-65 most of the time. When I approach a Semi, I'll probably increase my speed to get by then kick the cruise back on. I don't like spending to much time along a semi truck, I've seen some strange things happen.

I run at the speed limit, up to 65 mph typical maximum. I?ll bump up to 70-72 mph for short spurts to minimize the time passing trucks, but there?s too much of a fuel mileage penalty to routinely cruise that fast for extended periods.

We also enjoy traveling the non-interstate routes when we can. Just spent several enjoyable hours on US 40 between Terre Haute, IN and Columbus, OH. Nice drive, mostly at 55 and 60 mph. If you stay on what used to be old US 40, the route takes you right through downtown Indianapolis. Lots to see there.

Hi,

Here is a thread on the same subject: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,112651.msg1017482.html#msg1017482

And you can tell he was doing "close to 85" how?  Probably more like 75, and was probably me.  Not sure why folks that drive slow need to continuously bash those that drive faster than them.  George Carlin summed it up.

?Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac??

― George Carlin 

This subject has been talked about a lot lately, and there will always be widely differing opinions. I recently have been back in Ca to see some friends and relatives. My route has taken us on a lot of Highway 101 by the coast, and many of the connecting roads like Highway 246. The speed limit in Ca for vehicles towing ANYTHING is 55 mph. So I throttled back and kept it at 55 for the last several weeks now.

Good thing too, as there have been many CHP using radar on the routes.  I have also noted that my mpg has increased quite a bit. I have went from 7.5 mpg at 60-65 mph, to 8.5+ at 55 mpg.  The tack sits just under 1400 rpm, and the boost is in single digits on the flats. 

I side benefit has been it has been quite relaxing and low stress, and there is a lot of scenery to enjoy in this part of Ca (up around Solvang and northwards.)  But that's the best thing about this life style, you get to make your own decisions on how you travel. Each has it own up sides and down sides, and the choices are all yours. 

Mile High said:
And you can tell he was doing "close to 85" how?  Probably more like 75, and was probably me.  Not sure why folks that drive slow need to continuously bash those that drive faster than them.  George Carlin summed it up.

?Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac??

― George Carlin

And if he's going the same speed as you, you think "What's up with this weirdo??"

Greetings,

Don't know that people are being critical or bashing others who drive faster but rather concerned for their safety. If you loose control or have a blow out, you might be taking out others on the road and that could be other RV'ers who are traveling at a speed that is safer. Safe travels!!

camperAL said:
Greetings,

Don't know that people are being critical or bashing others who drive faster but rather concerned for their safety. If you loose control or have a blow out, you might be taking out others on the road and that could be other RV'ers who are traveling at a speed that is safer. Safe travels!!
Ya right - thats like nanny-ism right?  I think it is more old man grumbling....  You know, the old man that creates the hazard by insisting on driving slower than traffic because he has all the time in the world, regardless of how much traffic he stacks up behind him.

Mile High said:
Ya right - thats like nanny-ism right?  I think it is more old man grumbling....  You know, the old man that creates the hazard by insisting on driving slower than traffic because he has all the time in the world, regardless of how much traffic he stacks up behind him.
Sooo, we're all supposed to go as fast as the fastest so we don't slow anyone down?

Molaker said:
Sooo, we're all supposed to go as fast as the fastest so we don't slow anyone down?

No, but we do need to move with the traffic flow.

If traffic is running at 65 and you are running at 50, that?s a 15 mph difference and makes you a hazard. If traffic is at 65 and you want to go 60, that will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom