Normal speed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Molaker said:
Sooo, we're all supposed to go as fast as the fastest so we don't slow anyone down?
  Not at all.  Just drive courteous and at a speed you are comfortable with (within the law), and let others do the same without grumbling about it because it is a different confort level than your own. 

Mile High said:

Ya right - thats like nanny-ism right?  I think it is more old man grumbling....  You know, the old man that creates the hazard by insisting on driving slower than traffic because he has all the time in the world, regardless of how much traffic he stacks up behind him.

Mile High said:

Not at all.  Just drive courteous and at a speed you are comfortable with (within the law), and let others do the same without grumbling about it because it is a different confort level than your own. 
Exactly - including grumbling about the old man that drives slower than traffic because he is concerned about his safety.

As Dirty Harry once said, "A man's got to know his limits".

I think this guy thought it was O.K. to drive fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LkLeljt4t0

camperAL said:
I think this guy thought it was O.K. to drive fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LkLeljt4t0

I don't think speed was an issue here (although obviously if he was going a lot slower it might have ended differently). I believe it was established that after a steer axle blowout the driver lifted his foot, which is exactly the wrong reaction.

Molaker said:
Exactly - including grumbling about the old man that drives slower than traffic because he is concerned about his safety.

As Dirty Harry once said, "A man's got to know his limits".
Just pointing out the grumbler is a hypocrite most of the time because they usually are causing another set of hazards.

Autonomous control will end the debate and stress someday, and we can go back to 4 lane highways instead of 8 or 10

A Traveler said:
No, but we do need to move with the traffic flow.

If traffic is running at 65 and you are running at 50, that?s a 15 mph difference and makes you a hazard. If traffic is at 65 and you want to go 60, that will work.
I personally struggle with this in states with 80 mph speed limits, like Utah. I generally like to travel at about 65, a 25 mph difference. Lucky for me most truckers do too so the cars seem to be expecting large vehicles to be slow. Going 55 in an 80 mph zone is a 35 mph difference, something many drivers would not be expecting. I would think it would be safer for those drivers to move to a smaller road with lower speed limits, but the law says you can drive as low as 55 on the interstates so it is their right. I would certainly keep a very close eye out for any drivers who might drive up my backside at that speed though. Drivers just aren?t expecting it. A big rig would be more visible, but I have seen SUVs towing small teardrops driving 55 on I-15 in a 80 mph limit. Driving like that would scare the bejeesus out of me.

If the road is good, the weather good, I'll run at 70 +/- a few.  Engine is purring at 1500 rpm and mpg is 7.  I did notice in 80 mph speed zones areas that the big rigs were running at the speed limit for the most part, I got passed by many.  I try to stay out of Calif due to the 55 mph limit when towing.  If I'm gripping the wheel with white knuckles, I know I'm going too fast.  When in doubt, gas it.

Alpena Jeff said:
Weather conditions and road conditions dictate how fast or slow I drive. Nothing else.

Ahhh...so you?re the guy going 45 when everyone else on he road is going 65.

That?s just wonderful...

Mile High said:
Ya right - thats like nanny-ism right?  I think it is more old man grumbling....  You know, the old man that creates the hazard by insisting on driving slower than traffic because he has all the time in the world, regardless of how much traffic he stacks up behind him.

If nanny-ism means what decades upon decades of statistics have proven,  then yes, -- "Speed Kills" and "Slow down and Live", etc.  So the point is that you are merely inconvenienced, because by definition as long as someone is driving at the minimum posted limit, they ARE NOT creating a hazard.  The only hazard is that the Al Unser wanna-bes don't wish to have slow down if traffic dictates,  or have to look to change lanes, or otherwise have to put some effort into their driving and they consequently engage in unsafe maneuvers which is what becomes the hazard.  If dragging a trailer means I drive 60 to 65 for safety, and traftic conditions result in vehicles stacked up then tough poop, that's the reality of driving and sharing the road.  If you need to get somewhere quicker, then you should have left earlier for your destination or chosen a time to travel with less traffic.  Safety is the only determining factor and the convenience of other drivers, who just wish to criuse mindlessly at high speed regardless of who else is on the road, is not in the equation.  While one's upset reaction to slower drivers is actually their own personal problem which they could choose to control, be aware that I'll choose to inconvenience you everytime over the potential to kill or injure myself or anyone else on the road. 

Another nanny-ism-- could we please avoid the ageism. It really is unpleasant, besides being distasteful and disrespectful.

A Traveler said:
Ahhh...so you?re the guy going 45 when everyone else on he road is going 65.

That?s just wonderful...
45 in a 65 zone? No. I never said that. I typically run 60 to 63 even if the posted limit is 70. I'm a new motorhome driver and if that is where I'm comfortable, that is my business.
You got a problem with that?

Dreamsend said:
be aware that I'll choose to inconvenience you everytime over the potential to kill or injure myself or anyone else on the road. 
  Sounds like a personal threat there Gypsy! 

This whole post is getting pretty saucy - and it starting from nothing but a public grumble by someone that felt how others drive was his business rather than the other drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom