Norcold N621

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Netwerx69

I have a Norcold N621 Refrigerator that is cooling but it isn't getting cold enough or freezing properly I have it on the highest settings ,I have replaced the thermistor and also checked the fuses on the control board it was doing fine but all of the sudden stopped working can anyone help me thanks a lot..

Netwerx69 said:
I have a Norcold N621 Refrigerator that is cooling but it isn't getting cold enough or freezing properly

Same issue on gas and electric? If so it could be a bad cooling unit

Welcome to the Forum!

Agree.

Where are you parked?  Area of the country?  In shade or direct sun?  Have you changed location recently?  These MAY affect efficiency, too.

Check the venting top and bottom.

I've seen the screen/ mesh in the roof vent get plugged up.

The venting is good on the roof and the side It seems like on cold days it works good but on hotter days it doesn't work properly ,I'm not sure but I think that the unit itself is just going out or has some sort of fan problem because today the freezer is freezing but the bottom wont even keep eggs but the milk stays just cold enough to get by. I am lost on this fridge I am thinking of taking it out and framing out for a new fridge from Lowes.

I'm not sure but are these things suppose to be so quiet that you cannot even hear them running because I hear nothing in electric or gas mode?

They operate silently, the cooling process consists of a small flame or the electric heating element heating a water/ammonia mixture.

The ammonia evaporates from the water and convection carries it upwards to the cooling plate in the freezer.  As it condenses back to liquid it absorbs the freezer heat, cooling it down.  Then it flows downward towards the bottom of the fridge, shedding more heat through the cooling coils on the back of the refrigerator.

When it gets to the bottom, it re-combines with the water and flows back to the boiler to repeat the process.

The freezer has to cool first, after it's down to the proper temperature the excess coolant flows through the refrigerator section.

Make sure the doors are sealing properly and there aren't air leaks into the refrigerator or freezer.  Remember, if the freezer takes more cooling to maintain it's temperature there won't be as much cooling left over for the refrigerator.

Take a dollar bill, close the door on it at several locations and make sure it drags as you pull it out.  If there's no drag the door seal isn't closing firmly and you have an air leak.

In hot weather, sometimes you can boost the cooling by directing a fan upwards behind the refrigerator to help the waste heat exit through the roof.  Normally the airflow is taken care of by a chimney effect, the hot coils heat the air around them and convection makes the hot air rise out the top vent while cooler air replaces it from below.  As the outside temperature warms up, there is less difference between the coil temperature and the outside temperature so the convection flow breaks down.

It doesn't take much, a 12 volt muffin fan works well.  Or for a trial, you can get a small 120 volt clip-on fan for about $10 at Walmart, clip it to the edge of the lower vent and let it blow upwards on low speed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom