Savannah, GA sightseeing tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alpena Jeff

Good morning all.
Our next stop brings us here. We will be in Savannah for 2 nights next week with Tuesday dedicated to sightseeing. We are considering the "all day, on and off" trolley tour so we can experience the town at our pace. History, eateries and a pub or two seem to draw us in.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Jeff

We took the trolley for an all-day as you say. The trolley picked us up at the campground. We stayed at Savannah Oaks RV park. We had also done that in Charleston. We enjoyed Charleston more.

There are several restaurants and pubs along the riverfront (River St) and the adjacent area, ranging from upscale chic to 19th century-style tavern.  Several more within a block or two, many featuring traditional southern cuisine and/or local seafood.  So many choices and all pretty good!  Paula Deen's restaurant (Lady & Sons) is on Whitaker St a couple blocks from the river.  There is usually enough traffic on the river to be worth a bit of time if you like watching ships.

Blocks are short, walking around is easy and the tour trolley works well. We drove the trolley station rather than using campground pick-up because of timing - you can catch a ride from the station every 15-20 minutes, but campground stops far less frequent.

A Google search will show numerous good restaurant and a map.
https://www.google.com/search?q=savannah+restaurant

If you have any interest at all in World War II, air forces or airplanes, the National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force is a must-see. It's not just a guy thing with big warbirds either - much on the life & times in wartime England.
http://www.mightyeighth.org/

You may want another day or two there.  It's easy to spend an entire day wandering around Savannah proper, lunch and/or dinner, etc.  The 8th Airforce museum is an easy 2-4 hour visit as well - my wife enjoyed it almost as much as I did!  Several other Old Savannah museums too. The Cathedral of St John the Baptist is another must-see, even if you are an atheist.  It's a beautifully done classic cathedral and an architectural delight!
https://www.trolleytours.com/savannah/cathedral-st-john-baptist

Park at the visitors center and do the on/off trolley. Pink House for dinner.

If you are a history buff, you can easily spend a couple of days doing Ft Pulaski, Ft McCallister and the Wormsloe Plantation. It?s a short drive to the seafood places on Tybee Island from Ft Pulaski. We?ve done the trolly tour as well and the on/off feature is an advantage. We took the trolly in from Skidaway Island St Park, but I think it only runs there on the weekend. Parking at the visitor center is a good option because the streets are narrow, congested and parking for your private vehicle can be an issue. 

We were at Savannah Oaks about a month ago as well. Did lunch at Vic's on the river walk. Had the shrimp and oyster chowder. Best chowder I've had! If you like a cream base chowder, it's great! Also, grab a praline at River Street Sweets. (Can't eat just one!).

so one of the trolley companies picks up at Savannah Oaks?
I don't see mention of it on the RV park's web page.... about how often do they run?

Anyway, I'll keep that in mind for future reference!

and yeah, I like Charleston better in many ways....  Which park there offers trolley service?

Unless Paula Deen's restaurant has changed in the last 3 or 4 years I wouldn't waste my money there; dirty tables, high prices and minimal buffet.

wackymac said:
Unless Paula Deen's restaurant has changed in the last 3 or 4 years I wouldn't waste my money there; dirty tables, high prices and minimal buffet.

LOL
yeah, I kindof agree.  I didn't experience dirty tables, but otherwise.....
we went there a year or two ago....mostly for the novelty.  I thought the food was good, but I was expecting much more.  DW is a creature of habit and once she finds something passable she like to repeat...so sadly we went there again last weekend.  I would have much preferred to have a new different experience, oh well....
I just did the buffet again...the same.  good fried chicken and country style sides, good peach cobbler for desert.... but again, not earth shattering....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom