Step Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ditsjets7

Well, I just had my first F up! There is a motorized retractable step under the main door. I forgot to retract it. I hit something on a back road and destroyed it. I had to tear the rest of it off. The model of my rv is 2003 Coachman Leprechaun 313 QB. The motor still works. This was a grand F up!!!! I thought i hit  something big and we were toast. Any idea what this will run me to replace? I?m so stupid?‍♂️

Hmmm.  In nearly all motorhomes of the last 15+ years the steps will automatically retract when the engine is started and the door closed. Maybe your door switch was inoperative or the sense wire to the ignition got disconnected?

In any case, figure about $500 for a new step from a discount source and $650-$800 from a RV dealer. You can get parts to repair it too, but if you need a lot of parts, a new step might be cheaper.

https://www.etrailer.com/search/Rv+Electric+Step
http://www.rvpartscountry.com/RVElectricSteps

Gary---On mine if the "salesman" switch is not turned, on the MH will start but the step will not retract.

Single step? Shouldn't be too expensive. Check Craigslist and ebay, never know what you might find? Just need the Kwikee series number to find what you need, if it's a Kwikee. Like "Series 26". The series is buried in the part number if that's legible still.

My sister's '99 Mirada simply has an in/out switch. Doesn't retract with the ignition and no open/closed door switch. It has no control module.

My step only has 1 single step that retracts, or used to. I had no idea it would cost this much. Man I?m a dope!

Once you know what you have you can search for a replacement. Pay close attention to the dimensions and details of what you have, if you can't find the part number. There's different widths, step heights, mechanism styles, and so on. May not need to replace it with exactly what was there either. Would be nice to just buy the frame and swao the motor over to save a few bucks, but you never know what you may find.

A lower end price for what you might need:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Lippert-Components/LC3747457.html
Or:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kwikee-3711361-26-Series-Single-Electric-Step-without-Step-Control/112821588541?hash=item1a44b0d23d:g:tN0AAOSwXOhaiKZD&vxp=mtr

(Note these two are different models.)

I just sent the dealership where I bought the unit an e mail. I may call Coachman later today. Thanks to all of you for your help. Not a good start to the day.

Mike

On mine if the "salesman" switch is not turned, on the MH will start but the step will not retract.

Yeah, older models were like that. And older yet did not have the auto-retract feature. RVIA standards were upgraded over time to prevent problems with steps left out and steps not deploying when needed for egress, both of which are dangerous to people as well as other vehicles and such. Not to mention the step itself.

RVIA standards now call for the step to be powered from the chassis battery, to auto-retract with the ignition on, and auto deploy whenever the entry door opens.

ditsjets7 said:
Well, I just had my first F up!

Gotta start somewhere, and it probably won't be your last.  Hope you get put back together with minimal expense.  :D
I once put a boat in the water without the plug installed. 

If the motor and controls still work Visone RV (may be off a bit on the spelling) in KY is where I got mine.

Now. is the plate the motor and tranny mount on still on the RV? or did you rip that off too?  If you ripped that off you got some restoration work to do.

I got my replacement steps at The above.  You can find other RV salvage places on a file in our library as well  Alas. I was unable to find it but perhaps someone with better bandwidth can.

My sister's Mirada happens to be a Series 28 step. Yours might be too. On sale at PPL for $180.99 with $9.99 shipping until tomorrow. (No connection, never bought anything there, just Googling a little.)

also check ebay. there are several seller that sell the steps less motor and control. they are new oem at great prices

ennored said:
My sister's Mirada happens to be a Series 28 step. Yours might be too. On sale at PPL for $180.99 with $9.99 shipping until tomorrow. (No connection, never bought anything there, just Googling a little.)

What is PPL? Where do I find this?
Thank you.

Hi all, so I purchased the replacement series 28 step. I am pretty much useless mechanically so a friend of mine does all my work. He could not get the bolts off the old step as all they do is spin. Does anyone know how to access the area above the step through the floor so that we can get the old bolts off and install the new step? Thanks in advance

Mike

Everyone is allowed the first "oops" :)  Some are more expensive than others but life improves afterwards. 

Ours was me turning in a campground too short and running a log under my coach that broke off the cabinet gas shocks - not to mention it flipped the log up and launched the guys BBQ grille and dinner to the ground.

Hi,

I know it is frustrating to damage your coach, but drive it long enough and I think sooner or later everyone does a bit of damage while traveling. I would suggest that you use a check list (if you don't) and I'd put re-tract the step on your list. I know it is on mine.

I've got a 2006 Coachmen Marada and the steps are manual (I think). Previous owner or owner's son did some damage which I had fixed but steps were affected I think. I have one wiring (harness?) hanging down that may be the auto feature they ripped off the stairs. Wonder what that was for. So may look at it and try to reattach it. Your post has alerted me to my own system and thank you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom