Newbie question re buying new Winnebago...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcworth

apologize for any gaffes in advance. this is my first day and my first question. Considering buying a new Winnie or Itasca (22r I believe, the one with no slides). Any secrets as to how to get the best price? Any thoughts on what can expect for a discount off MSRP?  Am I stupid to not just buy a used one with very low miles? Any thoughts on this are appreciated. Kind regards. jcw

Welcome aboard! Discounts off MSRP depends on how hot the economy is (or isn't), how hot a particular model is (or isn't) and how long a new unit has been sitting on the dealer's lot. They are borrowing money ("floor planning") to have the unit on the lot. If it has been a lot queen for several months or is last model year, you possibly can work in 15-25% off MSRP.

Not a thing wrong with buying used but avoid like the plague a five or ten year-old model with low miles. Use it or lose it. Average use should be around 5-10,000 miles per year.

The secret is no secret: shop around and bargain hard. Don't believe the sales blather about the price is a special deal or today only - it's not. And always ask for and compare based on the out-the-door price, not a discount from MSRP. In these days of wild discounting and internet bargains, some dealers offer bigger upfront discounts but tack on fees for doing prep & delivery work that was supposed to be included in the MSRP.

Personally I'd rather leave a few more dollars in the dealers pocket and get better prep & delivery, but it's often difficult to determine in advance if the dealer will do well at this.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, hope to see you on the road one day!

Gary RV_Wizard said:
.. And always ask for and compare based on the out-the-door price, not a discount from MSRP. In these days of wild discounting and internet bargains, some dealers offer bigger upfront discounts but tack on fees for doing prep & delivery work that was supposed to be included in the MSRP....
That's good advice from Gary. When we ordered our Horizon (from Lazydays in Seffner, FL) I was hyper-alert to this very practice of padding the sales contract after buying new cars and getting surprised at closing. I insisted on seeing the sales contract and told the sales manager I will not pay any creative fees like document charge, prep fee, beer for the sales team, etc., etc. And I insisted on a weight slip before money changed hands - I wanted to make sure that particular Horizon had plenty of CCC. All of my demands were met and closing was an easy and no surprise process.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom