Move from 14" to 15" wheel for tire operating temperature?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wxlidar

I need to replace my current 205/75R14 tires (on tandem 3500# axles) and am considering a few options:

1) replace tires with Goodyear Endurance 205/75R14 increasing load capacity from 1760 to 2040 lbs.

2) replace tires with GY Endurance 215/75R14. Load capacity increases from 1760 to 2200 lbs.

3) upgrade to 15" wheels and GY Endurance 205/75R15 tires. Load capacity increases from 1760 to 2150 lbs.

As you can see, the end load capacities are similar. I have clearance for all three options. My intention is to increase my safety margin not to carry more stuff.

But my question is this: is it worth going to 15" wheels? The tires should run cooler but how much? I'm still searching for this answer but haven't had any luck.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I?m sure someone will come up with a super complicated formula to give you reduced heat gain based on slower rotation, but personally I doubt you?d notice the difference. I?d go with the highest load 14? and not spend the money on new wheels

Greater circumference and lower revs/mile will indeed reduce heat and wear. Whether its enough to justify the cost of the new wheels and larger tires is a tougher question.  While it is undeniable that lower revs/mile is a good thing, I've not seen any quantification of just how good it is.

I think #1 is cost effective. #2 may not cost more than a few dollars/tire more, so worth considering if that's the case. #3 is shear guesswork.

Thanks for the replies.

The cost of the tires varies only a few dollars so it is a tossup. I'd have an extra $160 in wheels (steel Dexstar).

I guess another question: can I sell the current wheels/tires to offset the new wheel cost? They are 5-year old grand ride tires and Dexstar wheels.

Welcome to the Forum!

Personally, I would go with option #2.  You are very wise to upgrade the load rating from barely enough to a safety margin.  If the old tires are 5 years old, they are about due to be replaced, anyway.  I can not see where the larger size can possibly be worth $160, or even $100 with trade in  in decreased temps or increased tire life.  Camper tires grow old before they wear out .

grashley,

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I'm beginning to agree that the benefits of 15" wheels might not be worth it.

wxlidar said:
I need to replace my current 205/75R14 tires (on tandem 3500# axles) and am considering a few options:

1) replace tires with Goodyear Endurance 205/75R14 increasing load capacity from 1760 to 2040 lbs.

2) replace tires with GY Endurance 215/75R14. Load capacity increases from 1760 to 2200 lbs.

3) upgrade to 15" wheels and GY Endurance 205/75R15 tires. Load capacity increases from 1760 to 2150 lbs.

As you can see, the end load capacities are similar. I have clearance for all three options. My intention is to increase my safety margin not to carry more stuff.

But my question is this: is it worth going to 15" wheels? The tires should run cooler but how much? I'm still searching for this answer but haven't had any luck.

Thanks for any thoughts.
I also was concerned about the safety of the tires that were originally on the trailer that i purchased... The manufacturer does not supply tires with any safety margin...The tires are just what is required for the GVW of the trailer... I had the exact same situatio as you have and decided to go from  a 205/75/14 to the Goodyear Endurance 215/75/14  Increased the capacity and went to a D rated tire... Just put over 4000 miles on them in just over 2 weeks.. Trailers great and peace of mind with the extra capacity.... I also opted to by steel wheels from Etrailer.com... Reasonably priced and used my original tires as spares in an emergency... The size difference is minimal and could be used to get you home or to a safe place to purchase an exact replacement....

ysidive said:
I also was concerned about the safety of the tires that were originally on the trailer that i purchased... The manufacturer does not supply tires with any safety margin...The tires are just what is required for the GVW of the trailer... I had the exact same situatio as you have and decided to go from  a 205/75/14 to the Goodyear Endurance 215/75/14  Increased the capacity and went to a D rated tire... Just put over 4000 miles on them in just over 2 weeks.. Trailers great and peace of mind with the extra capacity.... I also opted to by steel wheels from Etrailer.com... Reasonably priced and used my original tires as spares in an emergency... The size difference is minimal and could be used to get you home or to a safe place to purchase an exact replacement....

ysidive,

You mention that you replaced the OEM wheels with steel wheels. What did you have originally? Or did you mean that you kept the OEM tires/wheels as spares and bought new wheels for the Endurance tires?

I planned on buying one wheel and 5 tires so I have a matching spare.

If you go with one wheel or 4 or 5, be sure that you test it (them) to ensure that they will fit your trailer before you have them all mounted  and find out then that you were given the wrong size rims. Not much chance of this but I have seen it happen on several occasions  at the shop I work at. Only takes a few minutes but may save you some grief.

All,

I ended up staying with the 205/75R14 tires and ordered a spare wheel. I didn't go wider because of some clearance concerns and I knew the OEM size would work.

Thanks again for the help.

Tire temps are complicated. The builders of your trailer used tires that were an appropriate fitment for its size and weight class. Read around. Here is an example of what you might find. ( http://www.machinedesign.com/automotive/understanding-rolling-resistance-car-tires ). Thermal equilibrium - link it up with tires. It plays a large part.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom