Truck tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ROBcote2008

IM currently in the market for new truck tires. I have  a 1500 Silverado and was looking at Kenda Klever Ht 10 ply tires. They are affordable and I haven?t seen any negative reviews. Has anyone
Used these tires or suggest a different tire. Thanks

First, Welcome to the Forum!

What is your tire size?  What do you use your truck for?  That will allow us to help you better.

If this is an Load Range E tire, what do you need such a heavy tire for?  While a big enough load rating is critical, my first impression is this 10 ply is overkill for most applications.  They will not increase the load carrying capacity, or Payload of the truck.

I am sure others will be along soon, and put in their $0.02 worth!

I currently have 265/75/16 Fuzion tires, they were on the truck when I bought it. I pull a 26 ft bumper hitch camper 4600# dry weight. Later this year we are making one of our longest trips with our camper around 500 miles one way. I want to get new tires to have piece of mind while on this trip.

These are the tires I?m looking at https://m.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-245-75R16-Kenda-Klever-HT2-KR600-245-75-16-2457516-R16-10ply-ALL-SEASON/282281166035?fits=Section+Width%3A245%7CAspect+Ratio%3A75%7CRim+Diameter%3A16&hash=item41b944c4d3:g:VhIAAOSwcUBYRb3m:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!30319!US!-1

I don't think Load Range 'E" (10 ply equivalent) is too high for a half ton truck, but it may be more than is strictly required.

I see you are looking at a narrower tire than what you had previously.  Why?  What OEM tire size is specified on the tire safety placard on the driver door frame?  That would be my first choice as a replacement.

Have you shopped an online tire supplier like Simpletire.com for your size?  They have a good track record and rovide solid info about available tires and their capabilities.

I misread. That year truck has two tire sizes. I do need 265/75/16. I will check out simple tire.com. I don?t have to have 10ply I just know that they last longer and peace of mind

What is the intended use of your truck?  Year round with light towing?  Towing only?  Snow?  Mud?  Hwy or off road?  I tend to go with all terrains but i live in Colorado and hit forest service roads as well as snow. Kenda makes an okay tire for trailers but not sure i'd put the on a truck. 

Why not go with a quality second tier tire like Cooper? Inexpensive and well proven in service. If I've never heard of the brand and can't find information on it, I'll let someone else risk life and limb to test it!

Ernie

I don?t have to have 10ply I just know that they last longer and peace of mind

That's largely a misconception.  A higher ply rating does not increase tread wear in either miles or time. The tire may resist some types of damage better, e.g. a sharp object gouging the sidewall, but the tread area is the same. The higher ply rating is equivalent to a higher load range, meaning the tire can carry more weight.

Note that the tire doesn't actually have any more plies or layers - it's ply rating and not the actual number of plies. Back in the days of bias ply construction, they used to add more actual plies to get stronger construction, but that has not been the case with radials for decades. 

This article may shed some light:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

We recently replaced our TV tires with Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT tires. My decision was based on a balance of price and performance/reviews.  When we bought the truck used and it had Michelins - I really liked these and they still had plenty of tread but were over 10 years old. I would say the Michelins performed a little better and handled better (stiffer sidewalls it seems) - but I am satisfied with the Goodyears. I like the M&S rating and they seem relatively quiet. We purchased them at Sam's Club.

Ernie n Tara said:
Why not go with a quality second tier tire like Cooper? Inexpensive and well proven in service. If I've never heard of the brand and can't find information on it, I'll let someone else risk life and limb to test it!

Ernie

Cooper and Kenda were in a joint enterprise a while back, I cant remember what happened to it whether they stayed together or Cooper bought out Kenda's share. I do know that I have had 2 cooper tires blow out on an airboat trailer while sitting in the yard and another explode while leaning against the fence in the yard.......no more Coopers for me. I still have one of them in the junk pile.  I cant say if they were over inflated or what happened to them while they were not in my possession.

Back
Top Bottom