What should I pack a travel trailer with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieFoxtrot

I am a newbie to this site,so take pity on me.  Where would I find lists of suggested items to pack in our new travel trailer?  I would like to keep the weight LOW, so I want to start with tools, replacement parts, and any other suggested items that are heavy.  Thank you. :)

Welcome to the forum. There are numerous topics covering this very subject.

A quick search using "packing list" will provide lots of reading material.

Thank you, HappyWanderer!  I didn't expect such a quick reply.  I will do the search right away.

Best thing to have is AAA/RV we have had it since we started pulling and have used it a few times.  Very good service.

Basic tools for tire changing if you feel that you want that ability.  A good 20 ton bottle jack and wood blocks.  A battery impact driver with sockets that cover the majority of your needs.

A good battery power drill for use as a screw driver.  Large assortments of driver bits.  SAE and Metric allen wrench sets.

What kind of Travel Trailer, how new and general condition, and what's the plan.  Weekend short trips, or cross country 6 month trips?  Certainly a small basic toolbox, with basic tools is a must no matter what.

You might also check our library above -- there are checklists to cover a lot of things, including pre-trip preparation, which includes checking whether a lot of things are on board.

Keep in mind that any suggestions for things to take may include things you don't need, as everyone's needs are different, but at the least you'll get some ideas, and get a feel for what others think they need. For instance, if a tool (torque wrench, maybe) is suggested but you don't even know what that is, or at least don't know why you'd need one, perhaps it would be something for you to skip. After all, different people have different skills, hobbies and needs.

One thing you'll definitely want is a notepad, or other means, with which to take notes on things you forgot or didn't think of, things you'll want to do differently, etc.

Almost every newcomer, myself included, overthinks the what should I bring question. The short answer is to bring as little as you think you can get away with, and that's probably still too much. The best answer is to take very little on the first trip, carry a notepad, and write down things you find that you need, and either purchase them at Walmart, etc. or load them from home for the next trip.

Each year, as I prepare the RV for storage, I go through all of my storage areas and remove items that I didn't use, or need.

Take the minimum. Unless you are boondocking, anything you might need that you didn't bring you can buy or borrow.

sadixon49 said:
and write down things you find that you need, and either purchase them at Walmart, etc. or load them from home for the next trip.

I would be against removing them from home unless you have 2 of the items. You don't want to be moving things back and forth from the house to the RV then from the  RV to the house before and after every trip.

Rene T said:
I would be against removing them from home unless you have 2 of the items. You don't want to be moving things back and forth from the house to the RV then from the  RV to the house before and after every trip.

Agreed. I buy a duplicate of everything, so I can reduce any loading/unloading of the rig to just consumable supplies, food, and clothes.

WD40 if it should move and doesn't and Duct tape if it shouldn't move and does.?

Rene T said:

I think that transferring an item from home to RV is fine, to give it a try and see if you really need it, but over time that gets to be quite a burden each time you prepare for a trip, and again when you return, so for most things I'd agree with Rene that it's probably best to get another one for the RV, once you determine it's something you really want to take.

Generally, when we load up now, we take cameras and binoculars, food, books to read and clothing for the trip, and little else, unless it's a one time thing. Otherwise we might spend days loading the RV, even for a weekend trip.

Wife and I not wanting to spend a ton of money outfitting the RV, did our shopping at Salvation Army and Good Will.
That way we weren't heavily invested in something we later didn't need.

When I got my first trailer, I did a walk around to determine which tools I may need. I then bought a pre-packaged tool set from Home Depot that included most everything. That tool set stays in the trailer and I don't have to worry about leaving something in the workshop. Like others have mentioned, a good bottle jack is essential if you plan on changing your own tires. Another great alternative is the Anderson Rapid Jack.

https://andersenhitches.com/Products/3620--rapid-jack.aspx

Another good tactic is to do a little driveway camping or Walmart camping.  We spent the first two nights in our trailer with it parked in our driveway. We cooked, cleaned, showered, etc. If we needed something, we got it from the house, wrote what it was on a notepad, and replaced those items with new ones.

You'll have a few trips where you will discover that you left a much needed item at home, or you'll discover that you're a McGyver type and manage to build/fix something out of nothing.

Yup, that's why Walmart encourages RVers to stay overnight in their parking lots.  Just walk into the store and get whatever you need.  Especially convenient if the Walmart is open 24 hours.  ;)

Most of my rig was outfitted from thrift stores.

I loved the Corelle line of dishes but didn't like their sets. Over time I was able to buy used the pieces I would use the most.

Basically just go camping with the minimum and bring along pen and paper to make future lists.

It's all about lifestyle as to what you need or want.

In the kitchen I own a lot of collapsible silicone bowls and products. They ride quietly and take up minimal room.

You can prestock your toiletries and if you love to cook, then prestock your spices and favorite condiments.

Don't forget to get a 1/4" square drive screwdriver.  It seems my whole camper is put together with those square bit screws.

One small tip that my wife came up with...

On your first trip bring two sets of bed sheets. At the end of the trip remove the dirty sheets to take home and wash and place the clean sheets on the bed before tearing down. On your next trip pack the clean sheets. You will already have clean sheets on the bed, but at the end of the trip replace them with the clean sheets you packed. Repeat each trip.

This way you always start the trip with clean sheets without the need to open the slides to get to the bed. 

Back
Top Bottom