House Windows in old Motor home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gjguest

I am completely re doing my 1977 Champion Motorhome.  They sure didn't put to many windows in these.  I like light.  So, has anyone put regular vinyl house windows in there RV's.  I need to replace on "bubble" fixed window that leaks and add another bigger window.  Any thoughts?

I wouldn't think the frames on house windows would stand the flexing. Larger RV windows are available all over the internet, and installed properly, would probably leak less than house windows over time.

Use RV-type windows, for the reasons cited by the others.  They are readily available in most any size and type you like, and it usually doesn't cost any more to get a custom size made (there are no "standard" sizes anyway).

Here are some possible sources, in addition to Ebay and Amazon:

https://www.all-rite.com/windows
http://easyrvwindows.com/rvwindows.html

As for the leaky ones, odds are they just need to be removed and re-installed with new sealer applied. Butyl rubber sealing tape is the simplest and most effective method.  It's a simple task to remove the screws from the metal frame, pry the window loose, clean and apply new seal tape.

Not to mention on a house, the screens are on the outside.  Put them on an RV at 60mph and then with wind gusts occasionally hitting the side creating wind currents and the screens won't last very long.

Vinyl also might be problematic because of temperature differentials.  We had vinyl windows in our previous stick & brick home that was in a cooler climate, but were advised not to use them in the desert where they can melt in the hot sun.  If you plan to travel in this motorhome I don't think house windows would hold up all that well for all the previously-mentioned reasons.  Note that most RV windows have rounded edges and many are cut on angles.  I suspect they last better cut that way.  I think RV windows also tend to be made with safety glass like a car, although I'm not sure about that.  You really do not want any windows that would shatter easily in an accident!

ArdraF

Amazon sells RV windows.
House windows tend to be 90 degree corners.
RV windows have radiused corners.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=automotive&field-keywords=rv+windows&linkCode=ll2&tag=recreationalvehicles-20&linkId=2519464db07a4097ade06bc13ed6ae24

Well, I went with a Pella window for the bubble window replacement.  It is vinyl and looks and fits great.  Not sure the argument about using house windows is valid.  All tiny houses use house windows.  I work with a guy that built his tiny house from an enclosed trailer.  He has all Pella windows and has zero problems.  I paid $82 for the new slider window.  That same size RV window is $600.  Not even close.  If this one works out, I will be adding a couple more. ;D

How often does his tiny house go down the road? Manufactured housing (mobile home) uses standard residential windows too, but they usually only make one or two moves in their lifetime. I've seen passing tractor trailers blow out a residential window on pre-fab house sections under tow twice over the years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom