Cancer warning with your morning coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
A California judge has declared that your Starbucks morning coffee has to be accompanied by a cancer warning. I rarely frequent Starbucks, but this is second only to the warning I see on fishing reels when I visit Walmart:

"This product is known by the State of California to contain products/materials that can cause cancer".

Meanwhile, I'm afraid to sit on my toilet seat.

Those Prop 65 cancer warning signs are becoming as ubiquitous as the "We Give S&H Green Stamps" signs were in the 1950s and 1960s.

Come to think of it, those old lickable stamps probably would have triggered the warning signs on their own, had they been around then.

Tom:
Don't be afraid to use toilet...... just mark your weight on wall (in case you fall in) and we'll come and get (dip ya out).

What the hell am I thinking...... is this comment even funny?
It's the Judge's thinking that's funny...., that's it.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the judge.  Blame the silly laws which come out of CA.  I read the labels on most everything I buy.  Many, many things I buy and use have labels on them stating "The state of California has determined that (something in or use) of this product is known to cause cancer."  I have seen warnings that cutting, as in sawing, a piece of wood can cause cancer.  I am sure that if I was to spend 8 hours a day in a place while being exposed to the dust from cutting the wood, there would be a danger of getting cancer. 

California warnings are having the affect of "crying wolf" so often that people just routinely ignore the warnings. 

AStravelers said:
California warnings are having the affect of "crying wolf" so often that people just routinely ignore the warnings.

There is a warning at the bottom of every jetway just before you get on the airplane, warning one, apparently, to not drink the jet fuel or eat the tires

Blame the silly laws which come out of CA. 

Indeed. Proposition 65 requires the state to publish a list of chemicals that are ?known to the State of California to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity.? Anything that has ever been correlated with cancer, by anybody, in any study, goes on the list, whether there is a medical consensus or not.  There are over 800 chemicals on that list now, even though many have never been proven to actually cause cancer.  It is fundamental in the scientific method that "correlation is not causation", but apparently that doesn't apply in California.

The Prop 65 warnings must go on any product that contains one of the 800+ chemicals. The only exception is if it can be shown that the level of exposure would cause no more than 1 extra case of cancer in 100,000 people over a 70-year lifetime.  How does the manufacturer prove that?  So the labels are ubiquitous.

[quote author=Tom]... this is second only to the warning I see on fishing reels when I visit Walmart:[/quote]

I buy my fishing reels in another state, to avoid exposure to a cancer causing agent. Wish I could do that to fill up our vehicles with gas (those signs are on every gas pump). Fortunately I don't frequent Starbucks.

Tom said:
I buy my fishing reels in another state, to avoid exposure to a cancer causing agent.

LOL
Facts are irrelevant: "In 2016, the cancer agency of the World Health Organization moved coffee off its "possible carcinogen" list. Studies indicate coffee is unlikely to cause breast, prostate or pancreatic cancer, and it seems to lower the risks for liver and uterine cancers, the agency said. Evidence is inadequate to determine its effect on dozens of other cancer types."
I'm on my second cup. Ahhhhh..... ☕☕:D

I liked the "Stay out of California' answer, but then I was born there so......

There is very little that can not cause cancer in excess.. I mean one product I use has been found to causer cancer in lab rats.. But that that statement does not contain is this.

I use anywhere from a teaspoon full to perhaps a cup and a half in baking a multi-serving pie or some such.

THey fed the equivlent of a #10 Scoop Shovel full to the rats every day.. I mean pounds and pounds. More per day than I'd use in 2-4 years... And yes, it caused cancer.. Many things do in that concentration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom