Cancer warning with your morning coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
California has led the nation for years being first to require smog controls, seat belts and many safety features. They always give California a lot of grief every time but in the end it is always for the better. Society is much better off because of the features California demanded. Lots of lives saved and much clearer air. But if you really want to get cancer then just ignore the warnings.

Oh, dear.  Here I go again agreeing with SeilerBird.  ;)  I was just remembering when driving down the Nimitz Freeway bordering Emeryville (near Berkeley) in the late 50's, the smog was so thick it at times  obscured the SF skyline.  Catalytic converters were much maligned in those days (even by me!) but they certainly cleaned up the air.  There have been other far thinking innovations which had their roots in California that people tend to forget (conveniently).

Tom and Margi said:
Oh, dear.  Here I go again agreeing with SeilerBird.  ;)  I was just remembering when driving down the Nimitz Freeway bordering Emeryville (near Berkeley) in the late 50's, the smog was so thick it at times  obscured the SF skyline.  Catalytic converters were much maligned in those days (even by me!) but they certainly cleaned up the air.  There have been other far thinking innovations which had their roots in California that people tend to forget (conveniently).
Yep, like legalizing cannabis. In the 60s and the 70s it used to be sickening driving into LA from Ventura on the 101 (not highway 101, we Calis call our roads by names, like the 101 or the 405) and coming over the Cahuenga Pass. The thick brown haze that was sitting over LA actually looked like someone put a blanket on it. There is the 'inversion layer' which is the height that the air stopped and the smog started. Yes Margi people love to bash California and especially LA but they are just jealous. Don't feel bad about agreeing with me Margi. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. ::)

we Calis call our roads by names, like the 101 or the 405

Aye Tom. In the Bay area 101 is known as the Bayshore freeway. Margi mentioned the Nimitz freeway aka I-880.

And highway one is PCH, pacific coast highway. Here in Florida all of the roads have at least three names. Street signs here can be very confusing listing all three names. And they also have the odd habit of naming streets after people no one has ever heard of. I don't know how the GPSs keep up around here.

At times it seems that these incessant California cancer warnings are becoming a bit of a joke. The current coffee ruling for instance, is based on apparently flawed government studies that remind us of the saccharin cancer scare of years ago. In both cases, the results were based on mice being fed doses at levels thousands of times greater than normal human consumption. Scientists and health researchers have regularly found coffee to be quite safe, and that it in fact works favorably to reduce the risks of some types of cancers.

?Saliva causes cancer, but only if swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.?

― George Carlin

BinaryBob said:
Why is it everything in the state of California causes cancer, but doesn't seem to in all the other states?

Well that which causes cancer in CA also causes it in NY but unlike CA NY does not have a law requiring the product be so labeled.

Now. why did I pick NY.

Turns out NY has a few laws (Good ones I might add) that other states do not have as well.  Off hand I can not recall what they are but they exist.

Michigan also has a law or two that are very good. but alas SCOTUS ruled against MI and in favor of the traitors at TYSON so we still get sawdust hotdogs in Michigan.

I could agree with Seilerbird if all those 800+ chemicals were actually known to cause cancer, but only a few of them are provably so.  California leads the nation in paranoia as well as consumer safety.

In anticipation of CA legislation requiring the labeling of everything in the home that hasn't been labeled by the manufacturer or seller, we decided to place a warning label on our front door.

I'm not paranoid, but I do buy my fishing reels in another state.

Attachments

• EnterAtOwnRisk.png
    EnterAtOwnRisk.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 7
  In celebration of this latest, of an increasingly long list of things to fear.....I just started my second pot of coffee for the day. As I believe in supply and demand commerce.....maybe coffee prices will decrease!

NY_Dutch said:
Tom, if you start avoiding everything that "contains a known carcinogen", you'll need to include things like air and water. Good luck with that...
I didn't say I was paranoid, since I am not paranoid. I said I would rather be paranoid than to be dead.

Just because one is paranoid doesn't mean they aren't watching.  ;)

I don't mind some of the warnings, and who doesn't want to not die? However I think the application of the California law has been such that I seriously doubt it has had any of the intended effect (that it would allow people to make informed choices). When airport jetways, fishing gear and now coffee are labeled, I'd be surprised if the labels weren't just being ignored even by the most concerned citizens. (Example: what does one do with the jetway warning? Complain to the airline [all of them]? Refuse to board? Take the train? Of the many thousands of people I've seen boarding, not one has read the sign and turned around.)  One of those ideas that sounded good on paper, but hasn't really done anything except cost money through creation of required labeling.

There have been warning labels on cigarettes in the US since 1965 and since then the number of smokers has dramatically been reduced. So obviously the intelligent people are paying attention to warning labels.

Attachments

• smoking-rate.jpg
    smoking-rate.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 5
Coffee filters remove the healthy coffee oils.

So I drink mine from a French press now.  ;D

I did that for 30 years then a friend convinced me to use my builtin drip coffee pot in my RV and it never tasted right. Now that I moved out of the motorhome and into a 5th wheel that came with no builtin drip coffee system, I went back to French press cause I had a new one on hand.

Dang if that coffee doesn't taste robust again.  8)

(__)0

SeilerBird said:
There have been warning labels on cigarettes in the US since 1965 and since then the number of smokers has dramatically been reduced. So obviously the intelligent people are paying attention to warning labels.

Are you sure? The average price of cigarettes in the US was $0.30/pack in 1965, and now it's $5.50/pack. And in some states like NY, a pack can be as high as $14. I wonder which has had more of an effect on cigarette use reduction?

NY_Dutch said:
Are you sure? The average price of cigarettes in the US was $0.30/pack in 1965, and now it's $5.50/pack. And in some states like NY, a pack can be as high as $14. I wonder which has had more of an effect on cigarette use reduction?
It doesn't matter if price had anything to do with it. This chart clearly shows a massive increase in smoking from 1900 until the 60s when it started dropping. Warning labels were one of the reasons why smokers quit. There is no way to say for sure exactly what was the cause of the downturn but the smoking gun is the massive turnaround right when the labels began appearing.

Attachments

• smoking.jpg
    smoking.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom