1997 Camplite POP-up problems w/tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HIKER7s

I  have a  1997 Camplite by Damon pop-up. It has 2 end slide outs and a side slide out. 

I have used this once so far. The campground we went to was the same distance on the camp we just returned from.

I have a problem with the tires. (the door side tire in particular) . The tire was found to be ripped up (inside ring of tread ripped up). The air and the tire integrity held for the time we camped however, but the tire for traveling purposes was shot.

I changed the tire, THE SAME THING  happened on the trip home?

Has this happened to anyone eise??? Something is wrong apparently, I checked to see if there was something structurally from the pop-up itself to cause this, I couldnt see anything.

Could it be the tires are too wide, does anyone know what tires should be on this pop-up?

The tires however will keep this thing at home till I figure the answer to it. I understand if they were "retreads" they could of been bad. I have a dodge ram pulling it, could it have been speeds of 70 miles an hour doing it??? I went not over 65 going home and it happened to the spare.

The only other problem I have (and its my own I guess) is,...... I am kind of reluctant to try the heater, I dont know the last time it was  used and I am not sure about the operation of it. 

thanks in advance! 

What is the age of the tires?  If they are the originals, They probably would shred.  Only good 5 to 7 yrs  check the date on them,

As Shayne said, I would be highly suspicious of the age of those times, especially on a 1997 unit.  Our library has an explanation of the tire date code -- click HERE. to see it.    Your tires could easily be 10-12 years old, tires last safely only about 5-7 years.  On an RV, mileage and tread conditions is irrelevant.

As far as the furnance is concern, simply take it to a RV maintenance facility and have it professionally serviced and checked out.  It probably could use servicing by now anyway. 

I have the exact same pop-up.  If you changed the tire with the spare that was the same age as the tires being replaced, it is likely to be suspect even if it had never been used.

In fact, having not been used is actually worse because when a tire is used, the lubricants from within the rubber compound are released.  This is why you get dry rot on a trailer tire that just sits for a long period of time.  Exposure to the sun worsens the problem.

I think you will be fine if you get some new tires for your popup.  Make sure to get ones with the proper load rating for your unit.

Chad

Thanks guys, I am going to replace the tires for sure of course.

Why though, hasnt the other tire gone yet?

I am just hoping there isnt some kind of weird problem that is causing this.

I have no indications of this, if I had a bent axle I would positively know it...right?

I thought also, where is it you can verify exactly what tire should go on that model? More than a couple people said it looked like the tires were too wide for it.

Thats a possibility.  Go to the Damon website and it may tell you or even NADA

where is it you can verify exactly what tire should go on that model? More than a couple people said it looked like the tires were too wide for it.

It may not be documented anywhere on the trailer itself, but you could try calling Damon Customer Service and ask about it.

But tread width is not an issue as long as it does not rub against the fenders. Width where it attaches to the rim (called the bead) is a concern, but the tire dealer can check (or even measure) the rim and supply a tire that fits the rim. Your only real concern is to get a tire that has adequate load rating (weight carrying capacity)  for your trailer. If you know the axle load rating or the GVWR of the trailer (both should be on a DOT rating plate attached to the front left side somewhere), ask for tires that can carry that much weight. If in doubt, get more capacity rather than less. 

The trailer probably came with ST (Trailer service) tires but you can also use LT (Light Truck) or even P (passenger car) rated tires as long as the load rating is sufficient.    LT or P tires will often be less expensive than ST, simply because of competitive pricing pressures.  There isn't much competition on ST trailer tire prices, so they tend to be higher.

Why though, hasnt the other tire gone yet?

Easy -- chance.  Every once in a while there are stories about incandescent light bulbs that have been burning steadily for 100 years.  The vast majority of its fellows burned some 90 years ago but there it still is, incandescing away.

However if that tire is 10 years old, it is barely hanging on with the odds for it disintergrating under stress rising asymptotically as time goes by.

On both my trailers upon inspection I found I was able to put on tires one size larger, IE: 8" to 12" rims. This made a tremendous difference in tire life, I mean TREMENDOUS difference (12 to 14 on the 2nd)

I'd like to see a photo of the tire here though because I have a bit of problem understanding what you say the damage is.

I can think of several things that can damage a tire oddly, Most are alingment/suspension issues.  including bad wheel bearings and just plain bad design of the trailer.

John 12 to 14 years on tires is just plan taking chances you may get by once in a while but most likely it is going to bite one.

Hey guys,

I will post a photo of the tire (S) by the end of the weekend. I should of to start with anyway, my apologies.

Brian

This probably way late but will post it anyway in case it would help someone else.  I have the same camper and the spec. sheet that came with mine says tire size is 20.5x8x10.  I agree with everyone that said about tires being old.  Maybe the tire that didn't go was already replaced.  Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom