SeilerBird uses a real camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The technology in mobiles is getting better and better, it's how the youngsters want to interact.

I'm not dissing cell photos as I have many really good ones as do lots of folks. I have admired many of Toms photos and its amazing how close he gets without disturbing the wildlife.

I can see me downsizing when my camera gets to be too heavy. In fact i don't take it on long hikes now and got a small Panasonic with digital zoom for Christmas.

That's too bad OP.  Cells are nice for the casual photographer but for me they don't come close to a 'real' camera.

Unfortunately, I've seen several excellent Professional Landscape and Nature Photographers give up trying to discuss photography here.  These Pro Photographers had lots of tips and expertise that they were willing to share but moved on because the discussion was always dominated by a minority who tried to convince people that cell phones are better than pro-level DSLRs.  It has been our loss. 

MN Blue Skies said:
Unfortunately, I've seen a several excellent Professional Landscape and Nature Photographers give up trying to discuss photography here.  These Pro Photographers had lots of tips and expertise that they were willing to share but moved on because the discussion was always dominated by a minority who tried to convince people that cell phones are better than pro-level DSLRs.  It has been our loss.

I'm getting that...

I love your images.  It might take a pro photographer to truly appreciate your shots.  Obviously they were not taken with a cell phone.

Now Angry Bert, this is what I'm talking about.  Quality images that even an amateur can recognize.  Where are you located?  What equipment do you use? 

MN Blue Skies said:
Hey Angry Bert, I just checked out the images that you posted on your Flicker account.  VERY NICE!

Thanks very, very much.  It's my hobby.  I'm a die hard Canon fan.  Cell phones will never equal the abilities of a DSLR for me.  Cell phone for sports?  I had coffee coming out of my nose.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest..

MN Blue Skies said:
Hey Angry Bert, I just checked out the images that you posted on your Flicker account.  VERY NICE!
Wow! Your bird shots are very nice, but I love your macros. There is something fascinating about bugs with a macro lens.

UTTransplant said:
Wow! Your bird shots are very nice, but I love your macros. There is something fascinating about bugs with a macro lens.

Thanks very much - me too on macros but I'm still learning that genre.  It's completely different from what I'm used to.

MN Blue Skies said:
I love your images.  It might take a pro photographer to truly appreciate your shots.  Obviously they were not taken with a cell phone.

Don't carry a cell phone...  Ever...  :)  We have one in the RV for emergencies and it's pay as you go.  :)

While you are beating up on Tom Seiler for stating his opinion and preferences, it might be good to remember that this is a recreational forum whose members take recreational photos to remember their recreational experiences.  I don't think it matters to most of us whether these experiences are recorded by a flip phone, a cell phone camera or a fancy professional grade camera.  Now that he's stated his case, and you've stated yours, can we just get on with it?

AngryBert said:

Thanks very, very much.  It's my hobby.  I'm a die hard Canon fan.  Cell phones will never equal the abilities of a DSLR.  Cell phone for sports?  I had coffee coming out of my nose.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest..

I belong to a camera club that has members from beginners to master's level.  We all compete regardless of the level of camera we own.  Many use cell phones with far less quality optics than my SLR , but they  regularly win competitions because that are far more skilled than me with composition and are far more skilled and inventive with Photoshop and other tools.  One other thing that i have learned is that I don't have the patience for bird photography, which often requires lying on a beach for an entire day waiting for the perfect shot from the ideal angle. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate great bird photography.

JoelP said:
I belong to a camera club that has members from beginners to master's level.  We all compete regardless of the level of camera we own.  Many use cell phones with far less quality optics than my SLR , but they  regularly win competitions because that are far more skilled than me with composition and are far more skilled and inventive with Photoshop and other tools.  One other thing that i have learned is that I don't have the patience for bird photography, which often requires lying on a beach for an entire day waiting for the perfect shot from the ideal angle. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate great bird photography.

It's true that the best camera is the one you have with you.

Angry Bert, I'm also a Canon user.  What body do you shoot with, what are your favorite lenses, and do you use a tripod.  Your images are usually tack sharp.  Thanks for sharing that your photography is your hobby.

MN Blue Skies said:
Angry Bert, I'm also a Canon user.  What body do you shoot with, what are your favorite lenses, and do you use a tripod.  Your images are usually tack sharp.  Thanks for sharing that your photography is your hobby.

I use three bodies and a stack of lenses.

I shoot a 5D4, 7D2, and have a 70D for video.  I also have a 40D hanging out for time lapse, and an old Rebel Xt because it was my first DSLR.

Wildlife setup is usually a 100-400L II with 1.4X III for a reach of 560mm on the 5D4.  With the 5D4 all focal points are active in this combo.

My better half calls my stuff my 'golf clubs' because I don't play golf and she uses the stuff as much as me.  :)

MN Blue Skies said:
Angry Bert, your images are beyond a hobby.  I hope you stick around to share your techniques.

My technique is to go out and look for things to take pictures of and do my best when good stuff happens.  I'll be happy to answer any kind of question but I don't want to offend anyone here who thinks camera photography requires 'lugging' gear or whatnot.

I'm really just a guy who carries a camera around and prays for the best when an opportunity arises.

Maybe we should talk offline.

As a sidenote - went out today and the Grebes and Herons were so cooperative.  Got some great shots.  :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom