Driving 9 Mile Canyon Road near Wellington, Utah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathyf

Hi everyone,
We're wanting to drive this 9 Mile Canyon gravel road to see petroglyphs and I was wondering if any of you have driven it towing your car. Would it be better to just drive a car? And if so, have you stayed at a good RV park? There's a ranch with camping on the road but they have no hookups and since it might be really hot, I don't want to stay there. It looks like we could enter at Wellington and exit at Mylon.
Thanks for any tips or suggestions on how to enjoy this road trip.
Kathy
Tucson
26 ft. Class C

We've taken  that road and you do NOT  want to  take it with  an RV.  The  9mile Canyon turned out to  be over an 100 mile drive for us.
Maybe it was not clearly marked  or maybe we just loved the scenery and kept going.  It's been a while .  We did  the dirt road in a Jeep.

We stayed in a very small  RV Park associated with a  motel.  Can't recall the RVPark name  but it was adequate.

As Betty says a car is perfect. There are several water channels that are ok in a car but I would not expect you to be able to cross in RV. Make sure you go slowly over them!  Leave as early as you can as there are lots of Petroglyphs to see. Take binoculars if you have them.

Here are my notes from that day.

Friday 25th August 2017

Drove from Flaming Gorge too Wellington.  We checked into the Mountain View RV Park which is attached to a hotel which has a small pool and a restaurant, the RV Park is actually just a car park with hook ups and there were a few older trailers there which looked as if they were probably full time.  The lady at reception was lovely though and as we arrived fairly early we decided to head off and try to see what we could of  9 Mile Canyon (which is actually 40 miles long), an area with a lot of pictographs and petroglyphs as well as a couple of cliff dwellings/granaries. We stopped in at a garage to refuel and see if there was any more info on the canyon apart from the leaflet we had and a webpage I had found but no luck. 

There is a mine on this road, the Solider Mine, and we expected to meet a few lorries, which we did, but not that many.  The road was paved almost all the way which was great and it had several large dips for water flow.  It is obvious that when the water is flowing you cannot drive on this road.  We stopped a lot to see and photograph the petroglyphs. One section we thought we would do on the way back which is a smaller canyon/cave but it was too dark so we missed it.  We went as far as we could go, past some kind of industrial plant and walked down a short trail to see ?The Great Hunt? and then down another trail to see if we could find the petroglyph with the pregnant buffalo which we managed to find.  What an incredible place and we were lucky that there was hardly any traffic.  We saw a few deer on the way in and a few on the way back in the dark and we missed one of the dips and got a bit of a fright but apart from that it was fantastic, and we would definitely go back.  We headed back in the dark to the trailer for our dinner. 

I downloaded a web page which gave quite good info on the canyon. Save it on your mobile device before you go so you can refer to it...

http://climb-utah.com/Misc/ninemile.htm

Have fun, it's wonderful.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1522486736423.jpg
    FB_IMG_1522486736423.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 15
  • FB_IMG_1522486775850.jpg
    FB_IMG_1522486775850.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom