Need Real World Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MakinNoise

Hi, this is my first post here. My husband and I are planning to buy a used pickup truck (like in the next week or two). We have a pretty strict budget (max $35,000 out the door). With all the things my husband wants, he is going to have to pick someplace to compromise. I am hoping that some of you can guide us regarding where to place our priorities. I'll try to provide as much information as possible.

We do want to not have to do this again for at least 7-8 years. We tend to drive our vehicles until they die. I have a 2005 Toyota 4Runner V8 that I love, with almost 227K miles; my husband has a 2002 Tahoe with 190K. We will be trading in the Tahoe. My husband has a short work commute (10-15 mins.) and this pickup will be his daily driver. It will also take the place of my 4Runner as the main family vehicle. Currently we occasionally tow a 1995 pop-up camper. We also have a couple of old muscle cars that we sometimes tow on an older steel trailer. In the not-too-distant future, we hope to upgrade to a better travel trailer, nothing too huge, just not as much work as the pop-up. Not interested in a 5th wheel, don't think we're wanting to go diesel.

Absolute must-haves include 4 doors,4WD, tow package, under 60K miles, V8. Would like to have a newer vehicle with some warranty on it. The biggest question is whether to get a 2500 that will easily handle whatever future trailers we may acquire. 3/4 ton trucks are more expensive with fewer features and options, and there are fewer of them on dealer lots to choose from. We could get a totally tricked-out half-ton for less money with more comfort and features, and beef up the suspension, boost the HP, etc. to handle towing. He'd really love a Ford F-250 bit they are just so darned expensive. There is a practically new but fairly basic 2017 Ram 2500 SLT that we have driven available at a local dealer. My husband liked it a lot, he's just not sure about the Dodge Ram quality. My husband has always been a GM man but he is not very impressed with current Chevy/GMC trucks. We drove a 2015 Chevrolet 2500 and it was nice and smooth on country roads but disappointing when accelerating onto the interstate. The only F-250 we have test-driven was a diesel. My husband says that current half-ton trucks don't feel like trucks to him. He prefers power and performance to comfort and features. I should mention that he has rheumatoid arthritis. He is 6'2" and needs room to stretch out on trips. Also, before a career change, he used to be an auto mechanic for many years. A lot of his opinions are based on his experience working on vehicles but all prior to the last 10 years or so.

So where do we compromise? Get a 3/4 ton but an older vehicle / one with more miles on it? Get a Ram instead of a Ford? Get a 1500 and get a travel trailer that just not too big and heavy? Will we be sorry down the road that we didn't get a 3/4 ton when we had the chance? Are current Ram trucks solid and dependable? I really appreciate any insight you can provide before we make a $35,000 mistake. Thanks!

We could get a totally tricked-out half-ton for less money with more comfort and features, and beef up the suspension, boost the HP, etc. to handle towing.
Basically half tons are not a good choice as a tow vehicle. There is nothing you can do to increase the towing capacity. Everyone that gets into towing wants to tow a big heavy rig with a light duty truck and it just doesn't work. I occasionally read reports here from people who tow with a half ton and are happy, but I have read a lot more from people who tried to go cheap and ended up trading in on a bigger truck. If it were me I would be getting a one ton. There is more to towing than can it actually pull the thing. I have seen 1/2 tons towing a 727. The real problem with a light duty truck is the brakes are not good enough for stopping in an emergency. And a light truck will be a bear to handle in a cross wind or when a semi passes you by.

First, welcome to the Forum!

I will disagree with Tom on one point.  A ? ton truck CAN pull a moderate to small camper.  Larger campers and FW are clearly beyond their capacity.

1.  For a short distance daily driver, avoid the diesel.  They do not like short trips as their primary use.

2.  Determine what creature comforts are required.  This will determine trim level.  For us, dual temp control was required to keep wife and I both comfortable, so we required a Lariat or higher trim.  I suspect your requirement is much lower by your post.  Do you require A/C?  Power seats?  Power windows or locks?

3.  If you want power and payload more than comfort, then a 2500 or 3500 will probably make you happier.  Note a 3500 does NOT mean dually.  3500 come as either dually or SRW configuration.  A 3500 SRW is exactly the same as the 2500 EXCEPT it has a heavier suspension and 1000# or more increase in payload.  They are essentially the same price used as their 2500 cousin. Look at both the 2500 and 3500 SRW trucks.

4. There is NOTHING you can do to a 1500 to increase its payload or towing capacity.  This is determined by several factors including rear end capacity, braking capacity, suspension and frame design, etc.  Several can not be changed.  If you want more truck, buy more truck.

Two years ago, I bought a 3 year old F350 SRW extended (not crew) cab, long bed diesel 4WD diesel for $42,000.  It only had 3,660 miles!! Out of warranty.  Deduct $7K for the diesel, and you are at your target price.

With a bit of patience and a lot of on line research, you can "get it all" within budget, with the possible exception of FACTORY warranty remaining.  Almost all dealers offer good extended warranties at reasonable prices on late model used under 60K miles.

Good Luck!  Ask more questions!  Let us know what you find.

MakinNoise said:
The biggest question is whether to get a 2500 that will easily handle whatever future trailers we may acquire. 3/4 ton trucks are more expensive with fewer features and options, and there are fewer of them on dealer lots to choose from. We could get a totally tricked-out half-ton for less money with more comfort and features, and beef up the suspension, boost the HP, etc. to handle towing.

Welcome to The RV Forum!

Do some pricing on the aftermarket parts you'll need to beef up a half ton truck.  I'll bet you'll spend more than it would cost to start with a 3/4 ton truck with it's larger frame, heavier capacity tires, wheels, springs and axles.  And still wind up with a less capable truck.

I am very partial to the 7.3 diesel engine made by ford for their 2003 and earlier F-250 & F-350 add dual wheels any you have an exceptional pulling truck that can now be had for a fraction of your budget. 

I bought mine in 2013 for a 2003 truck with only 55,000 on it and paid $16K  The engine is pretty bullet proof, because it had so few miles maintenance on seals and u joints and steering linkages needed to be addressed.  Still it is a great truck.

My choice would be a 3/4 diesel.
I was able to get a 2007 Ford F-350 dually, King Ranch, fully loaded with lots of extras, 137K miles for under 18K.
I also had a 2003 3/4 ton Ram LB that I loved. Absolutely no problems with it. Bought it with 50K miles, sold it at 80k miles for slightly less than I paid for it.
Pulled a 32' TT all over the country with it. Living in the mountains as I do a gasser just wouldn't be enough ponies.
Sold the truck and trailer to buy a Class A MH.
I started out with a 98 Ram 3/4 gasser. Wasn't very long before my 23' TT turned into a 32' TT. Thus the upgrade to the diesel.
Doubtful I'd ever go back to gas trucks. The torque and power of a diesel just can't be beat.

Be very careful.  Ford 6.0 and 6.4L diesels were in one word horrible.
Dodge or Ram SLT is a fairly loaded trim  package, so I see no worries there. 
For the short commutes a gas motor would be far better truck.  But in the years your looking at the gas motors can be somewhat anemic.  But for a smaller trailer should be fine.  Pick the one you like best and can get the best deal on and go.
BTW for 35K a prudent shopper should be able to get a 2016 or newer 2500 gas motor pretty easily.  Maybe not all the bells ans whistles, but still a decent trim package.

donn said:
Be very careful.  Ford 6.0 and 6.4L diesels were in one word horrible.
Dodge or Ram SLT is a fairly loaded trim  package, so I see no worries there. 
For the short commutes a gas motor would be far better truck.  But in the years your looking at the gas motors can be somewhat anemic.  But for a smaller trailer should be fine.  Pick the one you like best and can get the best deal on and go.
BTW for 35K a prudent shopper should be able to get a 2016 or newer 2500 gas motor pretty easily.  Maybe not all the bells ans whistles, but still a decent trim package.

I agree with Donn on the Ford issue the Ram be careful of the front ends its a cheap fix buta pain they are very weak and yes for 35k a newer truck is available, check out Montana Idaho and Wash states the market is flooded with great used trucks shipped down from Canada because of the low exchange rate there are litterally thousands available my 2013 ltz 3500 chevy was shipped to Idaho - Duramax , loaded lots of extras airbags bushwaker flares wheels and tire with 60000 miles and it was listed for 35k 8 months ago you just have to look

Look on autotrader.com

I would get the bigger truck cause buy small and upgrade is Way more expensive

As to Ford/Dodge/Chevy/Other

Some years ago (Things may have changed now) I had some car trouble, due to the dealer screwing up a few tings I spent several days in Enterprise rentals. they gave me an assortment of Pickups as I had to keep going back till the dealer got my car ALMOST fixed (They never did get it right)

This included Ford, Chevy and others
I really liked the "Cockpit" (Drivers area) on the Ford well layed out very comfortable.
But cornoring on a less than perfect road.. SCARY, Kept getting the feeling it was going to spin out on me (Oversteer) Ford gets higher load ratings by not putting enough weight on the rear axle to control if empty

THe others I did not like the cockpit as well.. but felt a lot safer driving it.

You've heard from the "bigger is better" crowd and it's hard to deny that a 2500 diesel is the best choice if you don't know what trailer you will buy.  However, a well-equipped half ton gas-powered will tow many travel trailers, perhaps as large 28-30 feet and several thousand lbs in weight.  Before you buy the truck, do some RV shopping to get an idea of just how large that upgraded trailer may be. Pay attention to trailer GVWR, cause that's what you need to pull and 10% of that also needs to be carried (trailer tongue weight). You need a truck configured adequately to pull the trailer and carry the tongue weight in addition to any passengers and gear in the truck.

I think you are wrong that 2500's have fewer features & options but agree that a well-tricked out half ton is probably less expensive. Just pay close attention to the truck tow rating and payload, because those are often lacking in gussied-up half tons. Read the actual numbers for the specific truck on the placard on the driver door post and do not rely on advertising brochures.

John From Detroit said:
I would get the bigger truck cause buy small and upgrade is Way more expensive

As to Ford/Dodge/Chevy/Other

Some years ago (Things may have changed now) I had some car trouble, due to the dealer screwing up a few tings I spent several days in Enterprise rentals. they gave me an assortment of Pickups as I had to keep going back till the dealer got my car ALMOST fixed (They never did get it right)

This included Ford, Chevy and others
I really liked the "Cockpit" (Drivers area) on the Ford well layed out very comfortable.
But cornoring on a less than perfect road.. SCARY, Kept getting the feeling it was going to spin out on me (Oversteer) Ford gets higher load ratings by not putting enough weight on the rear axle to control if empty

THe others I did not like the cockpit as well.. but felt a lot safer driving it.

2010 or so i was truck shopping and drove a Ford F350 King Ranch and i have to agree with John it was horrible and the brakes were soft as if they werent there at all - i hated it it was one of the shortest test drives ive ever taken but i survived fast forward to 2017 i love the technology in the new Fords but im very very sceptical my 2010 expereience is still haunting me, i outfit trucks all day every day 100 upon 100s Ford Ram Gm but i dont drive 99% and of that 99% most are base model rig trucks missing almost all creature comforts. So i decide a need a change and i can get a loaded Chevy a ton cheaper than anything else but ive had 17 straight Gms and want something different so i drive this F350 dually WOW its amazing -point is that in 8 years the technology in these vehicles has changed 1000% and its really cool buy the newest you can afford because all 3 real truck makers (Ram GM and Ford) make some amazing products these days

Pick what you are going to tow, then pick the tow vehicle, or consider a motorhome and pick the toad

And whatever you do don't listen to either an RV or truck salesman when they tell you 'Sure you can tow that!  Nooooooo Problem.'  The only things that matter are the capacities on the doorframe of the tow vehicle and the weight sticker on whatever trailer you get.

Thanks for all the great information! Even though we have been essentially a GM/Chevy Truck family, we ended up buying a 2017 Ford F-250 XLT with the 6.2L gas engine. We are confident that it will handle being both aour tow vehicle and my husband's commuter.

MakinNoise said:
Thanks for all the great information! Even though we have been essentially a GM/Chevy Truck family, we ended up buying a 2017 Ford F-250 XLT with the 6.2L gas engine. We are confident that it will handle being both aour tow vehicle and my husband's commuter.

Congrats - the new Fords are great after 17 Gms i bought 3 Fords last year, an Escape an Edge and my F350 Dually the trucks both your 250 and my 350 have really impressed me i hope you enjoy
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom