Onan 4000 generator ran out of fuel, refueled, now fuel not getting to carb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peteclark3

Is there something I need to do besides prime it and start it to get it back running?  I put half a tank in the motorhome.. Here's a video of the sound it makes when I try to prime it... I had the bowl drain screw open and no fuel was coming out when trying to prime... https://youtu.be/SK9jsRxwEoo

RV is a coachmen pursuit 2014

Note that when I tried to prime the genset right after I refueled 1/4 tank, I heard a loud clicking sound, maybe 3 clicks, instead of the usual prime "hum" ... Now when I try to prime it I just get the quiet sound as shown in the video above..

You may not have enough fuel. The fuel pick up is normally about 1/4 up from the bottom of the tank to prevent the genny from using all the fuel and stranding you so you should have enough but there is no guarantee that is the case.... Try adding a few more gallons to 3/4 or so and see if anything changes. Is there a fuel filter that could be plugged up?? Is the rubber section of the fuel line from the tank to the pump in good shape/pinched etc? If not, you may be sucking air along the way and not fuel. The fuel pump itself could be defective too.

As long as you get some clicking or humming sound, your fuel pump is "most" likely working. But since you said that you had the screw almost removed and no fuel came out of the bowl, then it seems that no gas is getting out to that point. One reason could be, as someone else said, that your fuel tank is down to 1/4 tank. Maybe your gas gauge is not accurate. The best way to determine if the fuel pump is actually working is to remove the fuel line to the carburetor. When you prime it, a steady stream of fuel should come out. If no fuel, then keep working backwards to test the fuel pump. Another way to test it is to remove the fuel hose at the inlet side of the fuel pump and insert the end in a can of gas. If the fuel pump is working properly, it should be able to syphon gas from the can and the generator should start.

Sounds like a candidate for a plugged / deteriorated fuel filter.  Had this problem on a portable generator last year, fuel filter was the problem.

If you have access to an air compressor, pressurize the tank.  Disconnect the fuel line just before the pump, which on my diesel is the first component from the pick up tube in the tank.  If you get fuel there you have enough fuel, if not, not enough fuel or the pick up tube my have broken loose.

That happens to me often when I run a machine out of fuel. I disconnect the fuel line at the carb and run a hose to a can, Let it run until the pump picks up and squirts a good stream of fuel. Reattach the hose and make sure you tighten the clamp. Funny because I had to do that two days ago on a backhoe.

Back
Top Bottom