Best Route to Pull a Fifth Wheel Trailer from Texas to Billings Montana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTBell

Trying to avoid mountains and hills as much as possible and would like to know the best route

DTBell said:
Trying to avoid mountains and hills as much as possible and would like to know the best route

Anyway you go you will hit mountains Billings is in the middle of them. South Dakota is amazing North Dakota is as boring as you can possibly get Wyoming will put you to sleep on a good day but its flat and desolate. Northern Montana is all hills mountains and bendy twisty roads beautiful country side, cant wait to drive it again when going to Sturgis again this summer

steveblonde said:
Anyway you go you will hit mountains Billings is in the middle of them. South Dakota is amazing North Dakota is as boring as you can possibly get Wyoming will put you to sleep on a good day but its flat and desolate. Northern Montana is all hills mountains and bendy twisty roads beautiful country side, cant wait to drive it again when going to Sturgis again this summer
I guess you've never been to Teddy Roosevelt National Park. However, the O.P. doesn't need to go that far north.

steveblonde said:
Wyoming will put you to sleep on a good day but its flat and desolate.
I guess you've also never been to Yellowstone N.P., Grand Teton N.P., The Beartooth Mtns., or the Bighorn mtns.

steveblonde said:
Northern Montana is all hills mountains and bendy twisty roads beautiful country side, cant wait to drive it again when going to Sturgis again this summer
Billings is in southern Montana. He doesn't nee4d to go to northern Montana either.

Joel

Not knowing where in Texas you are starting from the best I can recommend is start by figuring a route to Amarillo.
Then take US 287 from Amarillo through Boise City Ok to Limon Colo.
Now take I-70 to Denver.
From Denver takeI-25 all the way into Buffalo Wyo.
There you catch I-90 into Billings.

I trucked for several years from Amarillo into Canada and this is the easiest terrain I found from Amarillo to Billings. Stay away from I-25 in Southern Colo as there are several hard pulls there.

Great Horned Owl said:
I guess you've never been to Teddy Roosevelt National Park. However, the O.P. doesn't need to go that far north.
I guess you've also never been to Yellowstone N.P., Grand Teton N.P., The Beartooth Mtns., or the Bighorn mtns.
Billings is in southern Montana. He doesn't nee4d to go to northern Montana either.

Joel

Casper Wyoming or Rapid City to Billing Montana is a wasteland yes ive been there done that, the poster asked for routes to Billings. Northern Montana is all hills and mountain so correct not on route but still hills mountain and beautiful countryside my bad i should have clarified and yes i have been  to Grand Teton and Yellowstone the poster was trying to avoid hills and mountains but i errored in not being more specific  I25 and 90 are boring as hell and Yellowstone is nowhere near Billings unless your comming from California not Texas

And sorry i was confused i was thinking Boisie Idaho its where always cross the border not Montana my budy lives in Erueka Mont

For fast transit,  I-35 N to I-29 to Sioux Falls,  I-90 to to Belle Fouche SD,  205 to Crow Agency MT, pick up I-90 once again.  If possible leave Belle Fouche SD at about 5AM.  As you progress West on 205 keep your eyes on the hill sides, if conditions are right, you will be treated to a site few ever see.  Literally 100s of Deer, Antelope, and maybe some elk.  They will become visible as their shadows make it easy to see them.

We managed to do this one morning early and it was truly stunning.

welmack said:
Not knowing where in Texas you are starting from the best I can recommend is start by figuring a route to Amarillo.
Then take US 287 from Amarillo through Boise City Ok to Limon Colo.
Now take I-70 to Denver.
From Denver takeI-25 all the way into Buffalo Wyo.
There you catch I-90 into Billings.

I trucked for several years from Amarillo into Canada and this is the easiest terrain I found from Amarillo to Billings. Stay away from I-25 in Southern Colo as there are several hard pulls there.
A very good route.  There is one good climb on I-25 out of Cheyenne, WY and then a drop into Laramie.  Nothing bad, but going down be sure to get into a low gear, starting off in 2nd or 3rd so you don't have to use your brakes. 

There is one good climb on I-25 out of Cheyenne, WY and then a drop into Laramie.

If you stay on I-25 through Cheyenne you won't go to Laramie. You are thinking of westbound I-80 from Cheyenne.

Two things to consider. You are not getting into Montana without going into mountains.

We were in AZ two years ago in March and April and could not get north of Utah because of the snow.

The roads were fine but you had to really watch that is weather.

I never had any problems driving in the Rockies but it has always been in the summer.

Good luck

You guys must be thinking of a different Billings, MT than I am. There's hardly even a big hill as you approach Billings from the east. Billings is in the middle of the Montana prairie.

OP, if you get over to Amarillo, just take 87/287/385 to Limon, CO then shoot west on I-70 to Denver and catch I-25 to go north to I-90 and stay on I-90 to Billings. It's a simple and mostly flat drive.

Going through Colorado from Amarillo during winter or early spring is a gamble.  Last year I was stuck in Amarillo because Colorado got ten inches in April.  Just a thought.

Tom Hoffman said:
For fast transit,  I-35 N to I-29 to Sioux Falls,  I-90 to to Belle Fouche SD,  205 to Crow Agency MT, pick up I-90 once again.  If possible leave Belle Fouche SD at about 5AM.  As you progress West on 205 keep your eyes on the hill sides, if conditions are right, you will be treated to a site few ever see.  Literally 100s of Deer, Antelope, and maybe some elk.  They will become visible as their shadows make it easy to see them.

We managed to do this one morning early and it was truly stunning.

You must mean US212. Dont see any 205.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom