Water pump causes all overhead lights to flash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikekobold

Hello all. This is my first post although I have looked and read many posts in this group. I have an issue that I was wondering if anyone has seen or experienced. We have a 2017 Winnebago Ellipse and every time you run water in the RV while using the water pump all the overhead lights flicker on and off like we are in a disco. The dealer said it was an easy know fix and all they had to do is install a diode. Well four visits later and three plus weeks in the shop, the disco is still playing. They supposedly changed the harness and installed a diode (no this can't be verified, just taking their word as true). Has anyone experienced this or know the industry fix?

Generally when the lights flicker it is due to a fluctuation with the voltage.  If the diode and the harness didn't work, I would look at the batteries or the Inverter. I can see them trying to avoid those changes as both are expensive. Let us know what they come up with next.

Every time I've seen an RV's lights flicker with the water pump, it was caused by low batteries or a poor power connection. Our 42QD's interior lights are all LEDs (like I'm sure yours are) so they don't draw much power, and I would think your six house batteries would still be healthy. Does the problem occur when on battery power and shore power?

Kev

I Googled your problem, and LEDs are known to be super sensitive to voltage changes.  Are the Lights and Water pump on same circuit?  Also, a few others with same issue found it to be a grounding issue.  They found poor grounds on the backside of their converter.  I agree, it seems like a ground issue.

maybe read through this https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29259345/print/true.cfm

SargeW said:
Generally when the lights flicker it is due to a fluctuation with the voltage.  If the diode and the harness didn't work, I would look at the batteries or the Inverter. I can see them trying to avoid those changes as both are expensive. Let us know what they come up with next.

I will let you know the fix.  Right now it flickers any time we have the water pump on and running water.  I am plugged in to shore power but turn off the water spigot off to check if they fixed the disco lights.

Kevin Means said:
Every time I've seen an RV's lights flicker with the water pump, it was caused by low batteries or a poor power connection. Our 42QD's interior lights are all LEDs (like I'm sure yours are) so they don't draw much power, and I would think your six house batteries would still be healthy. Does the problem occur when on battery power and shore power?

Kev

Yes sir, it happens when we are hooked up to shore power as well as when we are running off the batteries and inverter.

spencerpj said:
I Googled your problem, and LEDs are known to be super sensitive to voltage changes.  Are the Lights and Water pump on same circuit?  Also, a few others with same issue found it to be a grounding issue.  They found poor grounds on the backside of their converter.  I agree, it seems like a ground issue.

maybe read through this https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29259345/print/true.cfm

Ok thank you, I will mention that to the service department and hope they look at that possible issue.  Thank you

All,

Thanks to everyone for the comments and help.  As of my last reply, the dealer did the fix and it still did not fix the disco lights flickering when using the water pump. We hit the road a few days later to reposition to Texas for a while and the flickering has not happened since we hit the road.  That is four days on the road and using the water pump. Unknown solution, but I will take it for now.

The only things the lights and the water pump have in common are they get their power from a battery and the neutral connections. You have already attempted to find fault with the battery and found none so the answer is in your neutral connections. Go to the fuse block and find the terminal that all the white wires attach to and retighten all of them. The ground wire has nothing to do with the problem.

SeilerBird said:
The only things the lights and the water pump have in common are they get their power from a battery and the neutral connections. You have already attempted to find fault with the battery and found none so the answer is in your neutral connections. Go to the fuse block and find the terminal that all the white wires attach to and retighten all of them. The ground wire has nothing to do with the problem.

Wildo and thank you.  I also saw in a previous link to make sure the wires are tight connecting to the inverter.

John From Detroit said:
If there is a bad connection the issue may come and go.. Bouncing down the highway is what makes it come and go.

Copy and understand...I will tighten the electrical connections in the fuse panel.

Neutral connections?  The lights and pump are 12v, not 120v, so I don't see how neutral white wires come into play. The 12v+ and chassis ground is what lights and pump share.

Fluttering leds implies a DC voltage problem, either fluctuating voltage or AC ripple on the 12v system.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Neutral connections?  The lights and pump are 12v, not 120v, so I don't see how neutral white wires come into play. The 12v+ and chassis ground is what lights and pump share.

Fluttering leds implies a DC voltage problem, either fluctuating voltage or AC ripple on the 12v system.
Some 12 volt systems also use a neutral wire. Most call them positive and negative but it is still a hot and a neutral just like on 120 volt systems. Here is a photo of my 12 volt fuse block clearly showing the neutral buss that needs to be checked for tightness.

Attachments

• Neutral wires.jpg
    Neutral wires.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 16
Not offended yet, but in several years of teaching electronics I've never heard of a DC Neutral.  The wires are positive and negative (commenly + and - ). Depending on which school you attended current flow may be negative to positive or vice versa, but does not change unless by physically switching.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
Not offended yet, but in several years of teaching electronics I've never heard of a DC Neutral.  The wires are positive and negative (commenly + and - ). Depending on which school you attended current flow may be negative to positive or vice versa, but does not change unless by physically switching.

Ernie
No offense. Call it what you wish. In England they say boot and in the US we say trunk and somehow we still understand each other.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom