Need Help Choosing New Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HI Carl! I'm on my wy into the city now to test tow that rig and the one a step up size wise. The dealer mentioned they have DSD WD hitches. Can you tell me if they are good or bad? I asked him for details about it (so I could ask you) and he stated it is for 750lbs.

Nope, never heard of it.  But that can be said of a lot of things in this world.  Maybe someone else can jump in with an opinion on it.

I would be a bit careful about the 29.  59 gallons of water is going to tip the scales at 472 lbs..  That puts tyou up to 6072 lbs even before you start adding your gear and supplies.  Remember that headroom of 10-20%?

Back from the test tow. I bowed out of the 29. I thought that it was too heavy and I'm trying to stay under 5 000 dry. (I remembered the 10-20%  ;D )  A friend went with me and he was a great help (teaches driving ). I even was able to back it up and park it in the 'rv' slot and it was darn near perfect too (tho I did have a good director). Towing it I didn't even feel it except when we headed up the 'hill' ( in Saskatchewan hills are far between and this is about as steep as it'll get in the areas I plan on going). It was steep (not mountains) and I felt the tahoe work a bit but the revs stayed at 3 000 RPMs in 3rd gear and I was able to stay at 100 kms.

The price he's gone down to is ok but they won't throw anything in. nadda but I will get a card for 15% off parts in the mail 2 weeks later (so they say). Why not give me the 15% now? $2035 in add ons (brake control, screen room, receiver for bike rack tote tank and labour to install)come on give me a break!

I'm gong to do some research on prices elsewhere for the accessories and hitch. (I looked at that hensley's hitch.... $3G???  :eek: nice but I can't do that.)

Thanks again!!!! I'm sure Ill be back.

Bea

I'm gong to do some research on prices elsewhere for the accessories and hitch. (I looked at that hensley's hitch.... $3G???  nice but I can't do that.)

Well, then take a look at the Dual Cam system.  Reese puts one out, and I suspect they may have licensed it to Drawtite also.

That's what I'm doing at this moment but I'm having troubles finding the price in Canada. (Mayve Steve, CDN has an idea)
I went to Canadian Tire this evening to check out the prices of some items and I think I could write a comedy sketch of what happened. (This is what happens when the regular parts staff is away and you have to deal with the part time staff I think)
"HI I'm looking for a receiver for a bike rack. I am purchasing an RV and I need to attach the rack to the back of the RV. I Don't need anything with wirings." I"m shown to the bike racks, then to the hitch balls, then she tells me that's what I need. I finally take her right out to my tahoe and point and say "I need somthing like this but no wires" She said "Why didn'tyou say so in the first place." grrrr I had. She still never found what I was looking for.
"I"m also  looking for a weight distribution/anti sway set up to tow a trailer" I'm shown to the ball hitches (yup, just the ball). I explained that is not what I"m looking for and describe exactly what it is. I'm shown a Reese receiver kit. I'm getting frustrated and I finally ask to see a reese catalogue. I find it and show it to her, nope.. none in stock. PHone tomorrow with pricing."
Great, wasted 15 mins with her. I asked about tates for the black/grey water and she sends me to an aisle that has only rubbermaid totes (they type you put your christmas decorations in). By now I am laughing. It really can't get much worse. I head over to the camping area... should be there right?? (I had done a quick ailse check at automotive). Up and down the aisles my 10 yo and I go. Can't see anything and I finally ask a pt teen, he takes me to the portapotties. nope... he sends me to another teen who then says let's phone parts and ask there. I don't have anything like that here. Thanks but no thanks!!! I'll come back in the morning when the manager is on.
LOL!! ??? ::) :p ;D I grab my windshield washer fluid, dish soap and go.
OK that was off topic but I'm still really laughing about this!!!
Bea

Phoned another Jayco dealer that is 1 1/2 hrs away and he beat the price (exact same model with same options)by almost $2 000 and I"m getting a quote for the add ons and installation.
Working on financing  now. Have to find the best interest rate out there. ACK!

I"m getting pretty close! Thanks again!
Bea
:-*

CdnBea said:
That's what I'm doing at this moment but I'm having troubles finding the price in Canada. (Mayve Steve, CDN has an idea)
I went to Canadian Tire this evening to check out the prices of some items ....

Stop right there.? Going to a general automotive store is not a good idea.? ?90% of what they deal with is guys buying stuff for boat trailers.? ?That ain't your league.? ?You need to buy your ball mount, ball, spring bars, chain lifts, and anti-sway device as a unit. ? ?Mix and match is not a good idea.? ?If your Tahoe does not already have a receiver and trailer electric connector (one that matches your trailer) add those to the proposition.

The guy that sells it to you, should also be the guy that adjusts it for your trailer.? He should give you the info on what chain link your bars should be tensioned to.? ?Remember that chain link.? ?Since you are not going for the Hensley, have him install an electric hitch jack.? It is much easier to hitch up by using the jack to relieve the tension on the spring bars and a power jack makes that easy.

For starters, here is the link to Reese Products http://www.reeseproducts.com/ ? ?Go to their home page and search on Canadian dealers by your postal code.? ?

BTW, the use of a cheat is very handy in tensioning spring bars.? Reese furnished a ittty bitty 16" piece of pipe.? First thing I did was go to the local hardware store and have a 36" unthreaded piece of 3/4" GI pipe cut.? ?This piece of pipe has been my faithful companion on many a trailer trip since.

LOL ok ok I won't go to Canadian tire for the WD hitch.

The dealer in Regina has the one I mentioned, The dealer in the other city (just found out 3 1/2 hrs away) will 'sell' me
2" receiver for bike rack=$325.00 installed on trailer
1000lb equalizer hitch = $495.00
screen room = $971.00 installed

My tahoe has the towing package, receiver/wiring etc

I think the only other thing I need is the right/good brake controller. RIght? (mech wise)

I'm back and forth between the dealers as we 'speak'.

(I'm still reading the forum on brake controllers etc)

Bea

Carl Lundquist said:
Does that include a anti-sway mechanism?

You know I'm not sure!
I'll know tomorrow. I'm talking to two dealers for the best price. If all else fails I can purchase the entire REese HD WD hitch you mentioned through Canadian tire. They do sell all reese products, i'd have to special order it tho.

Bea

CdnBea said:
You know I'm not sure!
I'll know tomorrow. I'm talking to two dealers for the best price. If all else fails I can purchase the entire REese HD WD hitch you mentioned through Canadian tire. They do sell all reese products, i'd have to special order it tho.

Bea

I hope your tire company has someone who knows how to set the rascal up.

LOL Carl, Canadian Tire doesn't sell tires. But your question is still a valid one.

Carl Lundquist said:
I hope your tire company has someone who knows how to set the rascal up.

;D It isn't just a tire store  ;)  Dealer #1 is throwing in a WD w/ sway bars for 'free' so  I'll just use that one and save up for an Equil-i-zer (seems by reading people really recommend thos) unless it's the same price as the other one you recommended. By they time that gets over the boarder w/ the low Cdn dollar, suty etc  I'm looking at $4 000 and up Canadian. I've found a dealer that sells the Equil-ilzer (sp?) here in town. I just have to price it out.

I"m waiting to hear back from the 1st dealer (closer to town) if he's going to match what the other dealer will sell for.

Thanks again!
Bea

Dealer #1 is throwing in a WD w/ sway bars for 'free' so  I'll just use that one and save up for an Equil-i-zer (seems by reading people really recommend thos) unless it's the same price as the other one you recommended. By they time that gets over the boarder w/ the low Cdn dollar, suty etc  I'm looking at $4 000 and up Canadian. I've found a dealer that sells the Equil-ilzer (sp?) here in town. I just have to price it out.

Looked up the Equal-i-zer at http://www.equalizerhitch.com/.    Go to their installation instructions and peruse them.  You are going to need someone savvy to do that installation for you.  He should also instruct you in hitching and unhitching.  Do keep a set of those installation instructions for future reference.

Since weight distribution and anti-sway mechanism is a matter of safety as we as driving comfort, be leery of 'free'.    There may be no such thing as 'free' but there sure as hell is such a thing as 'cheap'. 

BTW looking at that Equalizer rig, you won't need a cheater pipe but you will really, really, like a power jack.

Thanks Carl. I may get the dealer to give me the power hitch and I'll have them install the Reese HD kit you mentioned.
I' have been reading so many posts and trying to research each component (WD, Brakes, etc).
The only place I can find a Reese HD right now is Canadian Tire (LOL) . I"m still looking.

Bea

CdnBea said:
Thanks Carl. I may get the dealer to give me the power hitch and I'll have them install the Reese HD kit you mentioned.
I' have been reading so many posts and trying to research each component (WD, Brakes, etc).
The only place I can find a Reese HD right now is Canadian Tire (LOL) . I"m still looking.

Bea

Well good hunting.  I suspect you are getting a bit too much information by now.  We have all given you lots of recipes for bear stew -- now all you have to do is shoot the bear.  ;)

Carl Lundquist said:
Well good hunting.  I suspect you are getting a bit too much information by now.  We have all given you lots of recipes for bear stew -- now all you have to do is shoot the bear.  ;)

I shot the bear this morning. Getting the trailer at the price of the second dealer but through the first dealer.

YAY!
Bea

I will!!!
I'll be back soon tho, I'm sure. I still have questions.

Thanks again so much for all teh help and advice!

You all empowered me.

Bea

One factor you might keep in mind:  You do not have to travel with a full tank of water.  If boondocking, you may want to carry a bit more but most campgrounds have water available.  Water is probably the heaviest item you haul.  Fifteen percent hitch weight and good distribution of the weight is important.  You do not need all the stuff you are going to haul in that trailer/truck combo.  Unless you are boondocking, take only the essentials of food.  There are grocery stores everywhere.  Properly installed, most of the hitches are adequate.  Remember, you are not driving a car.  It takes more time to accellerate and to stop.  Good mirrors, lots of them are out there, are essential.  No unit is perfect.  Most dealers sell, only the good ones service.  RV salesmen/ women are like politicians.  If their lips are moving, they're lying.  ::)  This stuff ain't rocket science. 

Back
Top Bottom