Is it unlawful or just unsafe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dsolberg said:
Keep in mind...motorhome, or at least class A motorhomes, don't have airbags!  ... 
Is that true?  Even newer class A's?  I didn't know that.  My Super-C has driver and passenger airbags.  The passenger airbag can be turned off, if need be.

KodiakRV said:
My Super-C has driver and passenger airbags.  The passenger airbag can be turned off, if need be.

That's because it (like any Class C) is built from a truck/van cab... when it rolls off the assembly line, it is equipped the same whether it's a delivery truck, school bus, or Super C motorhome.  Class A's are pretty much all customized as far as body and interior features go, depending on the manufacturer.  Sadly, since there is no federal mandate requiring crash-testing and airbags in Class A's... they don't install them as it would raise the production cost too much.  :-\

scottydl said:
...Class A's are pretty much all customized as far as body and interior features go, depending on the manufacturer.  Sadly, since there is no federal mandate requiring crash-testing and airbags in Class A's... they don't install them as it would raise the production cost too much.   :-\

I guess I should have realized that since I have seen ads from class A chassis manufacturers that show their product is pretty much just a frame, engine, wheels, and a steering wheel sticking up in the air.

The seat belt devices I have seen were non-explosive, they were inertial locks (Swinging weights and a toothed wheel)

Responsive head rests I've never seen

But the difference between an air bag and the internal combustion engine is that the explosing in the engine goes off in a nice HEAVY metal box designed to contain it.. NOT IN MY FACE which is NOT designed to contain it

Studies say airbags make only a slight improvement over seat belts... I have seen many accidents that are simular to ones where I or others walked with seat belts but the people in the car needed EMS due to air bag injuries.  The last one was (Conviently) in front of a hospital.

Karl said:
Many of the new cars built since 1999 use the explosive pre-tensioner in addition to the 'swinging-weight' spool locking mechanism; not as  a replacement for it. Check THIS PAGE for a good explanation of how they work.

Carl,I think he meant to say 'aren't' ;)

Your right and I did.  thanks.  All cars built today and most people don't have gasoline in the passenger compartment.  Not to nit pick but gasoline is considered flammable not explosive (DOT 1200 series) and the vapor from it with concentrations of at least 1.4 % is, at best, considered a low or deflagrating explosive (less than the speed of sound, black powder, magnesium) not a high explosive (supersonic, tnt, anfo ect).  There's a big difference chemically between high (detonation) and low (deflagration).

I was reading this thread and asking myself what is the question?  Yes you wear seatbelts, law or not.  Why should you wear seatbelts, it is because you will die if something bad happens.  It is common sense, not a real law, just being mature and real.  You smoke too much, you die.  You drink too much, you die, it is real simple.  As far as motorcycle helmet use goes, we need more donors to keep our aged bodies going.  I do take the Constitutional side to helmets, seatbelts and other "you make the choice things".  Folks say it costs money when you ride without a helmet or drive without a seatbelt and end up in the hospital.  I cannot put a price on Liberty like many bean counters can, but I can say that you make a law or take my freedom because it costs too much, you are unAmerican.  It is simple, it gets down to individual responsibility and just doing the right thing without "Big Brother" over your shoulder.  Yes, I wear a helmet and a seatbelt because it makes sense, not because some anti-constitiutonal government agency proclaims I need to.  Seems our Constitiution no longer means anything to anyone anymore.
Phil

motojavaphil:

In 1983 I made a post titled "A cool million"

I won't re-do the entire post but it addressed the issue with seat belts and helmets and such. 

The title of the post was chosen by taking the just released Michigan State Police news release on the cost of highway fatalities, which estimated the cost to the state in 1981 dollars,  This included many things including cost of clean up, cost of investigation, lost wages, medical payments, increased insurance costs and much, much, much more.  Due to the nature of the data and how long it took to gather and process... The estimate was 1981 dollars

When I took the figures, multiple by the last two US government CPI increases to bring it up to 1983 it came out to almost exactly $1,000,000.00 per person going SPLAT on the freeway.

Now, understand as a dispatcher I sent many a trooper to many a fatal accident.

So, here is my position on choice when ti comes to seat belts and helmets.

You should be allowed to do as you wish, However, IF you wish to ride w/o a helmet or seat belt (Depending on vehicle) you should have to post a bond worth 1,000,000 in 1983 dollars (What is that today, about 4-5 Million?) so that should you off yourself by being stupid, the state won't suffer the loss.

NOTE: The State Police Estimate above did not include the emotional cost to your family and Friends.

Since I started this post, I'll respond with my method of handling the situation.

First, I appreciate that most agreed that it's extremely unwise and unsafe to travel very far in any vehicle unbelted.  That's not to say you should have a few strong belts prior to the trip, however. ;D ;D

To accommodate my family for the short reunion trip I actually made two trips (limiting the seating to number of available belts) and thus had the MH available at the destination for convenience of comfort breaks.  Problem solved.

Thanks, lou

Good for you Lou. And I hope you all had a great time at the reunion.

Enjoy
Wendy

John, I do not think there is a disagreement between us about highway slaughter.  I cannot and will not put a price on Liberty.  Consider the amount of damage and death involved with an HDT or MH crash, should they carry 5M in insurance.  Each time I drive by a bar and see guys our age riding their bikes without helmets after a few beers makes me cringe.  I am proud of our Constitution and really feel it is being shredded each day that goes by.  If a seatbelt is there, wear it and if you ride, wear a helmet and keep Government out of the People's business.
Phil 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom