Newbie from British Columbia Canada ?Recommend SUV to haul a Travel Trailer ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zsazsa

So happy to find this Forum .My Husband & I are looking to purchase a SUV & a small Travel trailer .We are on a limited budget so curious if anyone can recommend a SUV & Travel Trailer .Thank you .

How many bodies?
2500 Suburban, Ford Excursion would be two top picks.  As a better alternative how about a full sized van?
SUVs tend to be pretty much loaded to the max when full of bodies, and with the short wheel bases really dont make super tow vehicles.  But matched to a small, light enough trailer will do OK.  My last larger SUV was a Chevy Tahoe pulling an Arctic Fox 19B.  On the flats it was fine, but once it got to the hills it was WOT to maintain any sort of speeds.  And that was two adults and a Lab.  So no where near fully loaded. 
Honestly, I would suggest you find a trailer you like and then match a tow vehicle to it, allowing room to go bigger down the road.
Do you really need a SUV?  Or is it a want.  A crew cab pickup will always be a better towing platform IMHO.

Hi and welcome to the forum.  If you can reply to Donn's questions I'm sure you will get some suggestions.

Welcome aboard! donn is right, we really need more information to give an informed opinion. Once you have found the trailer you want look for a vehicle that is capable of comfortably towing it. Just enough doesn't cut it here, we can't go anywhere in BC without encountering steep grades that will severely tax an inadequate vehicle. Make the journey relaxing and enjoyable.

I'll echo the thoughts above about getting the trailer then getting a vehicle that can properly handle it. I'll also echo donn's comment about a crew cab pickup, which can seat six (or five with a center console) and has the pickup bed (with shell if you like) for storage, as being generally more suitable for towing.

Be aware that it's more than just pulling power that you have to consider. Gusty crosswinds, passing trucks and emergency maneuvers can all overpower an inadequate tow vehicle (and don't believe a salesman's assurance -- they want a sale). There has been a LOT of discussion on here over the years about this very subject.

Somewhere on this forum in the last few days there was a link to a video of trailers blowing over or swerving then going over, which might show you something you want to avoid.

Good luck.

Welcome from another BC er. I have a half ton chevy with tow package and it is rated to pull 10000 lbs  it has a 6 L engine and a top of the line tranny, but I do not plan to tow more than 7 to 8000 lbs, there are lots of trailers  with a GVWR  under 8000 lbs.  Today we bought a 2012 coleman TT,  26 ft bumper to hitch  with a GVRW of under 7000 lbs. has a small  slide with a walk around queen bed, and all the usual stuff :)
We are looking forward to hitting the road this summer ,  Perhaps we will meet somewhere.
Now to update my info.... Lots of good info here on the forum and lots of opinions to choose from .

Back
Top Bottom