Winterizing/freeze up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MinPin6

Hi All.  First time posting.  I am heading out in a few days for the first time this year.  It is still very cold here in Canada and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether I should de-winterize.  Do I risk a freeze-up when night temps are around -10C (14F).  Of course the furnace will be running and I am only going out for a few nights.

Where as I do not know your RV and thus can not be specific.. I've only hit negative temps once. Furnace running, Froze sold, about 10 bucks in damage (Since I had the ice maker winterized yet)  I have been to 11F (About -8to-9 C) once one line froze, ZERO damage, thawed next morning .

MinPin6 said:
Hi All.  First time posting.  I am heading out in a few days for the first time this year.  It is still very cold here in Canada and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether I should de-winterize.  Do I risk a freeze-up when night temps are around -10C (14F).  Of course the furnace will be running and I am only going out for a few nights.

With some units....no problem! Many others....frozen RV! Also, manufacturers ?lie like a rug?, just because they may advertise it as a 4 season.....likely it?s not!

O.K. thanks.  I have a 1999 Glendale Royal Expedition Class 'C' 28'.  Don't have an owner's manual, so I'm just flying by the seat of my pants.

MinPin6 said:
O.K. thanks.  I have a 1999 Glendale Royal Expedition Class 'C' 28'.  Don't have an owner's manual, so I'm just flying by the seat of my pants.

MinPin6, you may do some internet search?s, and find some inf....possibly even a pdf download on your particular model. Good Luck!

You're pushing it with temperatures that cold if there is exposed plumbing. I'd start with crawling underneath to see if any water lines are out in the open.

Water tanks should be okay overnight, as it will take them longer to freeze.

MinPin6 said:

I have a remote thermometer to monitor my wet bay so I can see exactly how cold it gets. My rig is pretty well setup, always blowing heat into the basement from one side, and (if needed) also blowing it in from the other side with an auxiliary blower. I have found I don't need the aux blower (comes on with the furnace) until it gets down below the low teens - wet bay temp runs about 10-15 degrees below cabin temp with ambients in the 20s.

Since you have a few days, rather than guess you could get a remote thermometer (or non-remote if you can't find one, but you'd have to quickly open the wet bay door and check temp), then fire up the furnace, let the rig sit out as-if you're camping, and see how it goes. Otherwise it's just speculation. I can highly recommend this remote thermometer. I have two (each with two sensors), monitoring the fridge, freezer, basement freezer and wet bay. You can set upper and/or lower alarms

Attachments

• Acu-rite remote thermometers.jpg
    Acu-rite remote thermometers.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 7
^^ Good idea on the remote thermometer!

Finding out if water lines are exposed would be the main thing to check for.  If they are within interior cabinets or underbody storage compartments, you'll probably be okay with the furnace running.  Some folks have also hung a work light with a 100w light bulb (incandescent, not CFL or LED) kept turned on.  It generates just enough heat to keep things above freezing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom